The other games today - 2012/13

Dave

If anyone has changed this game btw its AVB.

1-0 down, puts three players on before the 70th mark and they score 3 goals from there on. Clarke yesterday put Long on in halftime and they could've beaten us. It shows you that if you have balls you will do well as a manager.

It also helps if you have those options on the bench...

Right cause Pardew didn't have Benny on the bench and still decided to put Ameobi on before?

Ben Arfa isn't fit... That's the reality... If he was AP would be starting him...

In fact, I will point out for the second time on this board that Spurs under AVB are performing in line with HR's Spurs of last season.

He hasn't got them overachieving, he's got them just about in line with where they should be.

In fact, I will point out for the second time on this board that Spurs under AVB are performing in line with HR's Spurs of last season.

He hasn't got them overachieving, he's got them just about in line with where they should be.

Possibly but his team is at least developing and showing signs of becoming a very very good team. Wrote this back in september and don't think I was far off 7-8 months  later:

Man, the hate for AVB on here is big. He is very inexperienced but has proved he can win stuff as he did with Porto in a year. He has managed for many years and will only learn more. I do expect him to become a very very good manager, and I actually think it will be with Spurs. I can see them destined for top 4 for a long long time.

He got s*** at Chelsea, but they were poor under Di Matteo too and won the CL through f***ing flukes man. No way they deserved to win it. Chelsea this season has improved loads, with the money they have splashed. Lukaku will one day replace Torres, Mata has been great, Romeu looks like a player who could develop into something very decent tbh and Meireles (has been disappointing so you cant really blame AVB as I though he would be the signing of the season last year).

I mean he invested nicely in the squad bringing in youth. One who is one of their best players, two which look great for the future and then Meireles who has been decent. He gets more stick than deserved and media has built up an image of him trying to be like Mourinho. His Spurs team dont look without ideas, they just look like a team having to adapt a bit to new players, like Sigurdsson and also having to play Livermore/Huddlestone in the midfield really doesnt help.

Dempsey, Dembele, Vertonghen and Sigurdsson will prove to be great signings.

I wouldn't call AVD very inexperienced.

I don't understand your point about the signs of being a very good team; I think that's just a cliché.

He's performing in line with expectations at Tottenham, he did so at Porto and failed to at Chelsea.

I wouldn't call AVD very inexperienced.

I don't understand your point about the signs of being a very good team; I think that's just a cliché.

He's performing in line with expectations at Tottenham, he did so at Porto and failed to at Chelsea.

My point is exactly that, he didn't fail at Chelsea, he didn't get the time or chance to fail or succeed. He was just sacked in the beginning of a long term project. He brought in a lot of young players, he brought in their best player in Mata. At Spurs his team is playing good football with far less quality in the side than Chelsea as an example.

He did better than 'in line with expectations' at Porto. Undefeated season, Portuguese cup and Europa league treble. Chelsea was always going to fail given the ownership.

Yup.

As for Porto, being the best team in the league does that mean that winning the treble is "in line with expectations". It's clearly exceeding them.

At Chelsea, he failed. However there were clear mitigating circumstances for that. Does it excuse him entirely? Course not, I'm sure he made some poor decisions, but calling it a failure full stop is a pretty naive conclusion.

At Spurs, position-wise he's doing about right. However he's got them playing progressively and in with a very real chance of finishing 3rd - which, if we're purely sticking to "expectations", would be exceeding them IMO.

He's a good manager who is getting better. He'll probably become a great manager.

He lost the dressing room and was under-performing in the league.

Am I talking to a wall? What part of long-term project and young guys don't you understand? It was a rebuilding process, you can't always win during a re-building process. He was giving players like Romeu, Mata, Luiz, Ramires the chance to adapt and develop. This would've meant they would never have won the CL though. But in terms of long-term they were on the right track.

Suarez the 'Spanish speaking South American'. Uruguayan is easier to say Graeme

Did he say that? :lol:

Yeah they were talking about Luiz v Suarez. He said

'A Brazilian against a Spanish speaking South American'. Probably didnt know he was from Uruguay