The other games today - 2012/13

Dave

Surprised it was as many as three tbh!

Barcelona are a wonderful team - easily the best of the era (well, d'uh) - and it almost denigrates the reality of how good they are by people (mainly in the media) making excuses for them for last night, instead of giving Milan the credit they deserve.

I would kill to see how this Barcelona team would fare in a different/better era of football.

Milan were outstanding yesterday, you won't see a better defensive performance in a long time. Barcelona did themselves no favours in the start of the second half when they looked like they just wanted the game to finish 0-0 and go home and have a sleep. Fair play to Milan for exploiting that and come away with an excellent result.

961 touches for Barcelona players tonight.

11 were in the penalty area.

Milan were bloody brilliant.

Completely agree on another note Messi only had one touch in the penalty area, keep the whole team at arms length superbly well and attacked with purpose when they could.

It's hard to remember - off the top of my head at least - Barca being stifled as much as they were tonight. Yes, they have certain games where the opposition are hard to break down, sometimes very hard to break down, but they usually at least create a few good openings here and there. However, I can't remember a single decent opportunity for them tonight. Did Abbiati have a meaningful thing to do all game? Was his goal at any time in real danger?

I'm being serious when I say Milan's performance should go down as one of the greatest performances in recent years, certainly of games I've seen anyway. They reduced the greatest team of our generation to nothingness, yet managed to deliver 2 clinical finishes of their own.

Nope he could have sat in the stands, got his phone out and tweeted Boateng that his hair is shit.

But seriously i can't remember Barca being stifled so much before either, against Chelsea they had a multitude of chances and even against Inter they had the chances.

What it should also tell you is that not just anyone can manage this Barca side( was a ridiculous suggestion to begin with but last night proved it) as that assistant manager bloke looks clueless.

Completely agree on another note Messi only had one touch in the penalty area, keep the whole team at arms length superbly well and attacked with purpose when they could.

It's hard to remember - off the top of my head at least - Barca being stifled as much as they were tonight. Yes, they have certain games where the opposition are hard to break down, sometimes very hard to break down, but they usually at least create a few good openings here and there. However, I can't remember a single decent opportunity for them tonight. Did Abbiati have a meaningful thing to do all game? Was his goal at any time in real danger?

I'm being serious when I say Milan's performance should go down as one of the greatest performances in recent years, certainly of games I've seen anyway. They reduced the greatest team of our generation to nothingness, yet managed to deliver 2 clinical finishes of their own.

Nope he could have sat in the stands, got his phone out and tweeted Boateng that his hair is s***.

But seriously i can't remember Barca being stifled so much before either, against Chelsea they had a multitude of chances and even against Inter they had the chances.

What it should also tell you is that not just anyone can manage this Barca side( was a ridiculous suggestion to begin with but last night proved it) as that assistant manager bloke looks clueless.

:lol: at referring to the assistant manager as clueless. What did you want him to do? Milan had Barcelona by their balls and neither Messi, Iniesta or Xavi were able to create anything.

If Barcalona fail to overturn the deficit (I don't think they will) this will be the second time they've gone out against a counter attacking side in a row, and there was Mourinho's Inter display against them. There is starting to be a patter, but this imo was different from the Chelsea backs to the wall defending, there was confidence and ambition in Milan side and it all paid off.

I wonder if that there is a shift from possession play back to counter attacking play. Back when Barcalona walked the champions league it looked like they'd made a team that suffocated teams so much with possession and were so cutting in attack they were unstoppable. If they sorted out problems at both ends of the pitch (Messi is over burdened with goal scoring now and their defence is letting in goals regularly now) then maybe it would be different, but I wonder if the pendulum has shifted away from possession football. (of course in international footy Spain still top dogs but Italy are a rising force, despite being brushed aside in final).

Of course not saying Barcalona finished, they will continue to be probably the best team on paper in the world, and are maybe a few signings away from achieving that kind of untouchable genius of that team two seasons ago, but i think there's a growing confidence in the ability to defend against them.

They'll probably go and win 3-0 at camp nou now.

are they still playing as much of a pressing game as they did under pep?  that was one of the things that made them for me, they had the ball so much but when they didn't they were pressing the opposition so high up the pitch and all over the pitch that they were almost unplayable...teams couldn't break on them being the problem

Watch Barca since Tito went to hospital, the drop in performance is noticeable. Its not a coincidence.

Absolutely. They're really missing him, their performances have been very underwhelming since he's been undergoing treatment.

Guest neesy111

Watch Barca since Tito went to hospital, the drop in performance is noticeable. Its not a coincidence.

Absolutely. They're really missing him, their performances have been very underwhelming since he's been undergoing treatment.

Agreed, think their away performances are suffering more than home though.

Although I certainly wouldn't pin our defeat yesterday to Roura, that is true. Tito keeps tabs on the team and talks lineup and tactics with Roura, but it's not nearly the same as being there and watch your players train and watch the games live.

I don't think the club has managed this well, we should have appointed a proper interim manager, specially now that it's clear that Tito's recovery isn't as quick as expected  :undecided:

Guest Miguel Piñero

Astonishing stat.