Anzhi 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 07/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 37

Disco

Marveaux had a poor game, him and Obertan were shite.  Tbf whole team was shite in possession, it was the work that was done in defence that redeemed everyone.  We kept a great shape and worked really hard off the ball, and when the back four did get breached Elliot was on hand with a big performance.

I think we'll go out in the second leg as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet or winning against this lot at home, they have some very good players. Good result tonight though, especially on an artificial pitch.

Thanks to work I only got to see the second half but I thought it was a great result. Defence was strong, formation lacked a forward presence but with our pace it worked well, we gelled together despite new and inexperienced faces, the ball could have done with a little less air in it to aid first touches and the plastic grass needs to be longer so players can get their foot under the ball. Knowing how scrappy my 5aside games become when it is -5C and on a 4G pitch, I can sympathise with why it wasn't the prettiest of games. Well done Pardew and the lads!

Imo, if we can't win a game at home, we don't deserve to go through. And that counts for any cup game, not just next week.

Guest Brazilianbob

Well I

Marveaux had a poor game, him and Obertan were s****.  Tbf whole team was s**** in possession, it was the work that was done in defence that redeemed everyone.  We kept a great shape and worked really hard off the ball, and when the back four did get breached Elliot was on hand with a big performance.

Marveaux had a good solid hame.  He tracked back AMD stuck hos foot in on numerous occasions to help break up anzhi attacks

Guest antz1uk

Pardew usually is negative away from home, but in a two-legged tie in the latter stages of the Uefa it's exactly how you should approach the match, tbf.

This

Elliot - 8 - good saves, mediocre distrib

Simpson - 7 - solid considering he's the worst right back ever

Yanga-Mbiwa - 8.5 - looked like the player those on here talked up when he joined. Colossal.

Perch - 7 - bit slack on a couple of occasions but playing out of position so to be expected.

Haidara - 7 - a little naive but solid enough

Anita - 5.5 - struggled to impose himself but worked hard

Cabaye - 5.5 - see above

Marveaux - 4.5 - added little going forward

Sissoko - 5.5 - best of a poor bunch off the 'striker'

Obertan - 4.5 - see Marveaux

HBA - 4.5 - missed a good chance and lost it a lot, good workout though

SUBS - negligible.

Very acceptable result, clear task left to beat them at SJP. Considering the possible disasters about the performance, result and injuries I'm pleased none of them came to pass. Good bonding trip for the lads as well.

We're very much still in with a shout of going through, not too bad at all.

Well I

Marveaux had a poor game, him and Obertan were s****.  Tbf whole team was s**** in possession, it was the work that was done in defence that redeemed everyone.  We kept a great shape and worked really hard off the ball, and when the back four did get breached Elliot was on hand with a big performance.

Marveaux had a good solid hame.  He tracked back AMD stuck hos foot in on numerous occasions to help break up anzhi attacks

If a good, solid game is losing possession with every pass and run and doing little work defensively after the first 10 minutes then yes, he had a good solid game.

Guest icemanblue

I think we'll go out in the second leg as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet or winning against this lot at home, they have some very good players. Good result tonight though, especially on an artificial pitch.

Honestly, what about their performance gives you that opinion?

Guest Brazilianbob

Marveaux did exactly what Pardew wanted from him. Its not all about looking good it's about getting the job done and as we clearly got the job done, how can anyone make a judgment that he was poor.