Anzhi 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 07/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 37

Disco

I think we'll go out in the second leg as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet or winning against this lot at home, they have some very good players. Good result tonight though, especially on an artificial pitch.

Honestly, what about their performance gives you that opinion?

They look to have very good defenders with real pace. Even Sissoko had trouble getting much change out of them one on one. Plus they've got two very decent forwards in  Eto and Villiams (or whatever his name is). I think man for man we're a match, but I just think that not getting an away goal is going to cost us, because like I said, I don't think we'll keep a clean sheet when they come here.

we don't need to keep a clean sheet against them.

I think we'll have our work cut out getting a win as well. We can definitely do it, but if I was putting money on it I'd say score draw. Doesn't take anything away from this result though, a clean sheet against a very decent side is a good result. Especially considering the pitch.

I'd have snapped your hand off for a clean sheet beforehand.

Very good result.

Just a tad disapointed that HBA didn't smash that chance along the ground and into the net rather than trying to dink it and we'd have had a precious away goal.

major concern now is a score draw which puts us out. :whatdidido:

Guest WashyGeordie

Quite a few Stoke fans by the looks of their board seem to be overestimating the effect of tiredness as a result of this match. Especially when you consider Debuchy, Gouffran and Santon didn't play and Tiote and Taylor only came on for very brief periods.

Oh yeah how come there's no Stoke match thread yet? Just realised.

The Southampton fans were saying the same! And look what happened!

Dunno about anyone else, but I was pleased with 0-0 would have preferred a 1-1 or 2-2 of course, but an away draw is fine.

Sharks are gay.

What was the name of those daft sharks in Viz again ?

The Pathetic Sharks

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS162je7EOJVKcWaCv9QBQEsXw2Wy-RSDeX3dAcOsn0Q6komMXXg

Guest WashyGeordie

I was actually disappointed with the Anzhi team, have they been over-hyped? (apparent 2nd favourites to win it!) Or was it just a measure of how we played/controlled the game?

Going off the game, we should beat these at home really - and I'm confident we will.

I was actually disappointed with the Anzhi team, have they been over-hyped? (apparent 2nd favourites to win it!) Or was it just a measure of how we played/controlled the game?

Going off the game, we should beat these at home really - and I'm confident we will.

They have been tbh, but that always happens when teams spend truck loads of money irrelevant of the quality is signed.

Once Willian went off they looked pretty ordinary to me, so i'm quite confident we will finish the job off.

would love it if there were "reputation" features enabled on this forum so that you can vote up/down good/bad posts.

That way I could ignore all the idiots (or they could ignore me :p  )

I would be very, very lonely if that came to pass.

would love it if there were "reputation" features enabled on this forum so that you can vote up/down good/bad posts.

That way I could ignore all the idiots (or they could ignore me :p  )

I would be very, very lonely if that came to pass.

I wouldn't stand a chance.

Anzhi are 10/1 to win the whole thing, we're 20/1 (which is joint eighth with Zenit and Basle), yet we're 6/4 to win the second leg and they're 9/5.

you have to factor in the price of them getting a score draw aswell man, come on man, it's bloody obvious.

Because they were drawn against us :thup:

Were Tottenham, Chelsea, or Benfica the favorites before the weekend? Surely, Spurs must be now.

If we get through the likely last 8 will be Newcastle, Lazio, Fenerbahce, Chelsea, Spurs, Benfica, Basel & Rubin.

I'd put Chelsea & Spurs as the two favourites, Benfica & Lazio just behind, but I think we could knock the other three out. I know Rubin are good but would still fancy us, I think we'd give Lazio a game too.

If we get through the likely last 8 will be Newcastle, Lazio, Fenerbahce, Chelsea, Spurs, Benfica, Basel & Rubin.

I'd put Chelsea & Spurs as the two favourites, Benfica & Lazio just behind, but I think we could knock the other three out. I know Rubin are good but would still fancy us, I think we'd give Lazio a game too.

Agree with that except I don't see Chelsea as favorites, only just beat Sparta and lost to Steaua, I see them going out next round. Of course, I'll be shitting it if we draw them. :lol:

Even Chelsea and Spurs we would give a game tbh, we might not win but the ties would be close IMO.

Any word on Willian's injury?

Hiddink said he's out for a while after the game, could be mind games tbf but hopefully not.

One of the reports I read said he seemed to be OK after the game so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Worth remembering Fenerbahce and Lazio are currently down to play home legs behind closed doors IIRC.