Alan Pardew

Mike

so why haven't they been queuing up to get their digs in?

Even if something is wrong in the dressing room we'd certainly not hear about it from the players in the Chronicle. Players hardly ever criticise their manager or team mates in public.

Eh? Did you only read that line, like? I wasn't on about the Chronicle.

I'd argue that the last sentence is massively inaccurate as well. It happens quite a bit when players give interviews to their native press.

If it happens "quite a bit" you'll be able to provide quite a few examples? The more recent the better obviously.

Sissoko said he doesn't like playing as a number 10 a matter of weeks ago, last season HBA complained about the style of football and I'm sure we all remember Robert legitimately criticising Souness and getting sold as a result.

Guest icemanblue

Even if something is wrong in the dressing room we'd certainly not hear about it from the players in the Chronicle. Players hardly ever criticise their manager or team mates in public.

I'd argue that the last sentence is massively inaccurate as well. It happens quite a bit when players give interviews to their native press.

If it happens "quite a bit" you'll be able to provide quite a few examples? The more recent the better obviously.

Sissoko said he doesn't like playing as a number 10 a matter of weeks ago, last season HBA complained about the style of football and I'm sure we all remember Robert legitimately criticising Souness and getting sold as a result.

Robert was my primary example, like. Couldn't keep his mouth shut. :lol:

I'm sure there are countless other examples, but, unfortunately, I really can't be arsed to go looking for them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/mike-ashley-silent-as-alan-pardew-protests-for-his-players-8601852.html

Alan Pardew was in defiant mood and insisted Newcastle United's recent slump and mounting pressure on his position would not break him.

The Newcastle manager revealed he had not spoken to club owner Mike Ashley since the 6-0 defeat to Liverpool last Saturday increased their vulnerability to a second relegation in five seasons.

But he also took issue with Gary Neville's views that the Newcastle squad is too unbalanced because of the number of French players in it. Questions have similarly been raised about dressing-room unity in light of the crushing defeat against Liverpool and before that against local rivals Sunderland.

"A lot of criticism has come our way, some of it completely unfounded and left-field," he said. "It's insulting if you think because a player is from a foreign country they are not bothered. It is ridiculous. Of course they are bothered. Our professionalism is on the line.

"As far as I am concerned, the group is pulling together to get a result and the fact we have a lot of French players and some language difficulty has been torn up and made to be something else. There is no problem. Some of the wildfire has been way off the mark. There have not been words out of turn. If you don't get feedback from the players you are not going to be a manager at any level.

"I understand you get all sorts of accusations thrown at you. There's not much you can do. You can deny them but it might add fuel to the flames. Sometimes you don't know whether to fight some issues or just let them ride. The bottom line is when you get beaten 6-0, you are going to get criticism."

During a difficult week for the club ahead of a vital game at West Ham tomorrow, the representatives of one national newspaper have been banned by Newcastle for writing about dressing-room disharmony. Pardew said that had nothing to do with him: "I have not been part of anyone or any media source being banned or anything like that. For me, you've got to get on with it. We've had a lot of criticism this week and I've had a lot of criticism this week personally.

"When you have a day like that, you just embrace your family. They try and offer you words of comfort and support which unfortunately don't really work too well. Then you don't sleep well, you get up, you think about it a bit more. If you think that a football manager after the season we've had or a defeat like that [losing 6-0] is not worried about every aspect of his team and his staff, then you're sadly mistaken. I worry about how many sugars Yohan Cabaye has got in his tea, for goodness sake!

"That's the level you want to try and get to, in order to put it right. No one will break my spirit in terms of trying to do that."

Pardew reacted to Neville's criticism, although he did concede there is a language barrier at Newcastle that needs to be addressed. "Has he been a manager?" Pardew said, before adding: "I do think he has a point. I have said many times that we would like to produce our own players but he also made a very valid point about the inflationary prices you get for English-based players here. Maybe some realism needs to come into that market.

"I have to be honest, I would like to have levels of communication greater than they are in terms of 'is our message and the message of my staff getting through 100 per cent'? We hope it is and hopefully at West Ham it will. We've used different forms and will change it if we feel it's necessary.

"Cabaye made a point to me this week. He said that when he arrived he didn't have an interpreter and therefore learned English that bit quicker. We've used an interpreter because we've got so many new guys who don't understand the language.

"It's like trying to get that balance right of actually forcing them to learn the language – but we do need to understand what their problem is. So there's a balance to get right."

I just long for the day that someone addresses the real issue and asks him about his shit, negative tactics.

The rest of it is a waste of time and ink. I don't care what he's doing about the language barrier or whether he feels there's too many French players. I care about whether he feels he can bring an attacking style to Newcastle, where we make the opposition worry about us rather than the other way round. Something that has been utterly lacking throughout his entire tenure here to date.

I just long for the day that someone addresses the real issue and asks him about his shit, negative tactics.

The rest of it is a waste of time and ink. I don't care what he's doing about the language barrier or whether he feels there's too many French players. I care about whether he feels he can bring an attacking style to Newcastle, where we make the opposition worry about us rather than the other way round. Something that has been utterly lacking throughout his entire tenure here to date.

It is weird that nobody talks about tactics or style. I guess the standard of football writing, especially in the local papers, is just really bad.

It's fucking obvious why they don't do it. They ask him questions that don't directly blame him so that he continues to talk to them.

Call a manager useless and he'll stop talking to you. Call his players useless and he'll get angry and disagree with you but continue dialogue.

Still, as a fan it's shit. They're not asking the questions that I want them to ask, that NEED to be asked.

Well ask him and he'll lie. He's already on record as saying he likes front foot, fast paced attacking football. Which is an outright lie.

No point asking that again, you'll get the same answer. So you've got to either print that answer or confront him and call him a liar.

Unfortunately none of them seem to have the balls to call him a liar over it, even though there's a wealth of stats, figures and observational evidence that prove he's talking out his ring.

Guest firetotheworks

Funny how he says that he worries over the little things (Cabaye's sugar in his tea) but doesn't seem to know, or least does know but can't address what seem to me as glaringly obvious, basic and easily remedied problems.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/8599189/Newcastle-midfielder-Moussa-Sissoko-says-he-still-has-a-lot-of-improvement-left

Not really criticising the manager though, is it?

I still maintain it hardly ever happens. The very few examples get blown up by the media (Barton mainly) which makes it seem more common.

To be fair, this was a pretty huge topic this week and was rightly addressed. The media have failed all year to question decisions though but they haven't. They should but their priorities lie elsewhere. It's a disservice to the public really, the local journos have been inundated on Twitter with questions to ask regarding decisions and tactics, they say they will ask but it never happens.

The press will do just do anything to avoid alienating the manager. Never bite the hand that feeds you etc. It just seems to be accepted that you don't undermine him. Undermine the players, the fans, anyone else. They don't provide your soundbites or interviews. OK, some players do, but alienate one and others will still talk or you can alienate them generically rather than specifically thereby avoiding direct confrontation, a la the recent "split in the dressing room" articles.

But no manager is EVER called out over his tactics. Which is a crying shame as plenty of them could do with it, our present incumbent being top of the list. They should be held far more accountable for their actions.

Tactics don't sell newspapers, especially not local ones. That and the local journalists are thick as mince. Mark Douglas is a real Walter Mitty character while Lee Ryder is a poorly trained ape with a keyboard.

Tactics don't sell newspapers, especially not local ones.

I'd suggest that long-term, the opposite is the case.

OK, short-term "DRESSING ROOM SPLIT" sells a few extra copies, but long-term knowing that the local paper can be trusted to ask the right questions and is on the side of the supporters and is clued up as to the real issues is infinitely more likely to get me to regularly buy a paper.

OK, short-term "DRESSING ROOM SPLIT" sells a few extra copies, but long-term knowing that the local paper can be trusted to ask the right questions and is on the side of the supporters and is clued up as to the real issues is infinitely more likely to get me to regularly buy a paper.

I agree wholeheartedly, but you and I aren't representative. I think the average man on the street has little to no interest in tactics.

I agree wholeheartedly, but you and I aren't representative. I think the average man on the street has little to no interest in tactics.

The media needs to find that medium between trotting out tired cliches in place of actual analysis and the full on tactical autism like that likes of Jonathan Wilson publish.

I'm very cynical but the more they protest there's nothing untoward going on behind the scenes the less inclined I am to believe them. The ladies doth protest too much...

abso-fucking-lutely :thup:

Or understanding and importance of its relevance, but yeah i agree its a shame really for people like me i would like to see more in depth analysis on what is really wrong from the general media instead of trotting out the same tired cliche crap.

Alas not to be.

Guest neesy111

That's the reason mourinho likes the British press compared to Spain and Italy as the press do their jobs on those countries and press managers on everything tactics the lot.  In England they do just about fuck all hence why they love anyone who can give them a sound bite.