Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest Haris Vuckic

Did you ever watch Bobby Robson''s teams? There was a good deal of long ball/reliance on wingers sticking it in the box.

:lol:

I suggest you get your season reviews out. Watch em back .

Also don't twist my argument - I was referencing style of play - not pragmatism/aggression.

Happy Face just can't cope with someone other than Ashley being a t*** at this club.

I'm on record calling Pardew a c***.

We were relegation bait before Pardew and we will be after though.  Ashley is the common denominator.

Ashley is a tool granted, but after the biggest spend of any team in the January window, he can hardly take any blame for the appalling showing since then.

You can always gauge how good a Manager is when the chips are down. It's about how they react to improve in areas you're struggling in.

Lets look at some of the issues.

Passing is still f***ing shocking overall.

Corners are, well I think we all know.

Movement off the ball is still too static and easy to read.

Lack of pressure on the ball.

I could go on, but as not one of those areas have improved over the course of the season, I think it pretty much spells out he's not the right man for the job.

We have improved since the window closed and the show hasn't been so appalling since then.  We're 10th in the table on games since the window closed.  It was the awful run before the window that f***ed our season.

Have you actually watched us play?? We're getting results despite, not because of our form. Do you think it's acceptable to spend 21 million in January and in that time be 10th in the form league? That's an embarrassment if you ask me!

He has a season ticket.

Yep. Opted for the out of work option of Keegan. Wonder how much he was getting paid?

It was hardly surprising that they opted for an out of work option during the season, is it?

Having fun with this Chronicle survey....

9. Who is your Newcastle United player of the season?

Romain Amalfitano. By not playing, I think he probably contributed least to our on-field dreadfulness.

Guest icemanblue

Yep. Opted for the out of work option of Keegan. Wonder how much he was getting paid?

It was hardly surprising that they opted for an out of work option during the season, is it?

Do we not have to pay compensation, or wages, if we hire one in the summer?

Did you ever watch Bobby Robson''s teams? There was a good deal of long ball/reliance on wingers sticking it in the box.

Also don't twist my argument - I was referencing style of play - not pragmatism/aggression.

So what the fuck is your argument exactly?

This is like that round on Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Oh shit, I didn't answer with a question.

Curbishley ffs. It's easy to play this game.

"I'd like a new striker"

"You what?! You want to sign Ade Akinbiyi?!"

"Umm well a full back maybe?"

"Oh so now you're happy to re-sign Peter Ramage?!"

How many examples are there of us paying more for a replacement than we got for the player sold?

With players Ashley can justify a few quid more too, as he can potentially recoup it.  He knows whatever he pays a manager he's not getting back.

Shouldn't the question be how many have been replaced with better, rather than how much we paid for them?

It would be if there were better cheaper managers available.  A new manager wouldn't be financed by sacking Pardew, it would be additional cost.

I always wondered about the confused message of our transfer policy (keep the manager out, makes it easier to sack him) and then giving the manager an 8 year deal, making it harder to sack him.

"I'd like a new striker"

How many examples are there of us paying more for a replacement than we got for the player sold?

With players Ashley can justify a few quid more too, as he can potentially recoup it.  He knows whatever he pays a manager he's not getting back.

Shouldn't the question be how many have been replaced with better, rather than how much we paid for them?

It would be if there were better cheaper managers available.  A new manager wouldn't be financed by sacking Pardew, it would be additional cost.

I always wondered about the confused message of our transfer policy (keep the manager out, makes it easier to sack him) and then giving the manager an 8 year deal, making it harder to sack him.

Are there not like? ???

Not sure why you think being cheaper is an essential requirement - notice you ignored Dave's question about Ashley spending £20m in January. When has he done that before?

We didn't play long ball under Bobby, at least not as a default style.  All teams use it and it's good when mixed up with other options.  To claim "There was a good deal of long ball/reliance on wingers sticking it in the box" is total rubbish, not that we didn't use it.

Guest Haris Vuckic

So what the f*** is your argument exactly?

I was talking to DISCO who was planning on asking Pardew why :-

'' 'Why in 2.5 years at Newcastle have you not been able to implement a style of play that means regardless of the personnel available the players will be comfortable & familiar playing a style that best suits their abilities?'''

Now when I read that I think of a Ajax/Barcelona or lately Dortmund type system which I can't remember us having before.

So my point was that the styles of play that Robson/Hughton used didn't rely on that type in house hegemony - it was fairly simple stuff.

If the only remotely tangible argument is that 'there may be someone worse come in' and that the clubs aspirations correlate then we are f***ed as fans. It's not beyond the realms of possibility but the more thread relevant issue remains that this man is hugely culpable, the easiest to replace and, whether he will or not, SHOULD cease to be the manager of this club. This is the time where we'll see the truest colours of this regime.

Sadly if you look at Ashley's other appointments that's where we are as fans & the true colours of this regime is they don't want to sack their drinking buddy.

Should he go then; in a footballing sense? If so does that make us unreasonable in our expectations?

If the expectations we're matched by the clubs ambition/investment they wouldn't be unreasonable.

A tiny squad lacking quality/depth finishing 7th whilst playing 50 + games? Nah.

All debatable and debatable whether everyone expects that. Not when we have to rely on a beyond nervy win at the worst team in the league to scrape survival. We've had sufficient investment to deal with that. Again it comes back to whether he is fit for the job. He'll be sacked when we're in the same situation at xmas. You have a tone of acceptance which I envy to some degree but none of it means that this man should still be in charge of this team.

Probably if they are in work, it's much easier to take a manager from a club during the summer than during the season.  Ashley hasn't gone for anybody in work that we know of, that doesn't mean that he wouldn't do it this time.

Guest Haris Vuckic

We didn't play long ball under Bobby, at least not as a default style.  All teams use it and it's good when mixed up with other options.  To claim "There was a good deal of long ball/reliance on wingers sticking it in the box" is total rubbish, not that we didn't use it.

Lots of hazy eyed revisionism I'm afraid.

I'm not saying we aimlessly hoofed it but we had a very direct style.

'' 'Why in 2.5 years at Newcastle have you not been able to implement a style of play that means regardless of the personnel available the players will be comfortable & familiar playing a style that best suits their abilities?'''

Now when I read that I think of a Ajax/Barcelona or lately Dortmund type system which I can't remember us having before.

So my point was that the styles of play that Robson/Hughton used didn't rely on that type in house hegemony - it was fairly simple stuff.

You don't have to have a Barcelona like academy to stamp some sort of team ethos on your squad. We lose a few players to injury and Pardew hasn't got a fucking clue what he's doing and we go on massive runs of shit form. It's partly down to a lack of quality in reserve, we aren't the only team in the league who have that problem though but we certainly seem the most effected by it.

Their reluctance to employ managers for the right reasons will come back to haunt them. In the long run, it will jeopardize Ashley's investment, which is basically what he cares about.

Yep. It's as if his Sports Direct philosophy of buy cheap and get huge revenues is going to wash the same way in football. It could be argued it has to an extent with the quality of scouting. Is it sustainable? Nah.

I don't mind a direct style, I don't mind getting the ball into the box and I don't mind changing it up, anyone that equates direct play with what's happened this season seems mad to me, it couldn't get more indirect! Barely once all season have the constant aimless punts upfield actually reached anyone in a newcastle shirt in a remotely dangerous position. Direct play implies getting into crossing positions and overloading the defence, things we never did!

Guest Haris Vuckic

You don't have to have a Barcelona like academy to stamp some sort of team ethos on your squad. We lose a few players to injury and Pardew hasn't got a f***ing clue what he's doing and we go on massive runs of s*** form. It's partly down to a lack of quality in reserve, but we aren't the only team in the league who have that problem but we certainly seem the most effected by it.

We are the most effected by it because for whatever reason we've had to make the most changes of personnel in the league bar QPR and how many of them are good enough?

"I'd like a new striker"

Are there not like? ???

Not sure why you think being cheaper is an essential requirement - notice you ignored Dave's question about Ashley spending £20m in January. When has he done that before?

I've not seen any more recent salaries since this...

http://www.trophy4toon.co.uk/index.php/premier-league-salaries/

You tell me who'd be willing to come for less pay than Chelsea's fitness coach gets.

I hadn't seen Dave's question before you asked.  Ashley's never spent £20m in January before.  That suggests to me that he took the vblame for the lack of spending in the Summer though...or he would have sacked Pardew rather than give him that cash.  He had to do one or the other to ensure the windfall next seasons TCV deal will bring.

Lots of hazy eyed revisionism I'm afraid.

I'm not saying we aimlessly hoofed it but we had a very direct style.

We did play long ball at times, it wasn't our default style of play and it wasn't aimless like it is under our current idiot.  We did play with wingers, we had wingers who could hit our own player because we actually had a game plan which involved getting at the opposition, rather than hitting it long to nobody in an attempt to get rid of the ball.

"I'd like a new striker"

Are there not like? ???

I've not seen any more recent salaries since this...

http://www.trophy4toon.co.uk/index.php/premier-league-salaries/

You tell me who's be willing to come for less pay than Chelsea's fitness coach gets.

I hadn't seen Dave's question before you asked.  Ashley's never spent £20m in January before.  That suggests to me that he took the vblame for the lack of spending in the Summer though...or he would have sacked Pardew rather than give him that cash.  He had to do one or the other to ensure the windfall next seasons TCV deal will bring.

So why did he buy Cisse last January? He didn't need to do that did he?

Where does the assumption that he'll be paid less come from? By that logic, Anita MUST be on less than Guthrie. Do you think he is?

I hope Ashley has learned something by this, he's certainly learned from his mistakes in the past , and although it's a very slow process he is improving as an owner. He's light-years ahead of the bloke that appointed Kinnear.

He'll always want to strike a bargain and play a low risk high reward strategy when it comes to transfers, both player and managerial, but I don;t think that means we're doomed for Pardew-lites for the rest of eternity.

Guest icemanblue

Probably if they are in work, it's much easier to take a manager from a club during the summer than during the season.  Ashley hasn't gone for anybody in work that we know of, that doesn't mean that he wouldn't do it this time.

We can only hope, Mick. Got to have faith that he'll buck the trend, even if history suggests otherwise.