Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest icemanblue

How many times have we seen us play a good first half

We have no real pattern of play, no real way of keeping the ball.

You are contradicting each other while being in agreement.

Has Pardew set us up to play well in the first halves of games or not?

Reading was the prime example. Dominated for an hour before Pardew shat himself and whipped off the main fretts to Reading, Marveaux and Cabaye , who had ran the show between them. Ended up losing.

That's a bad example, as it's not entirely true. He took of Marveaux, that much is true. I forget who replaced him. However, Cabaye then asked to come off as he felt a knock/strain of some kind. That unfortunately left us well short on creativity and forward momentum. I'm sure that you can find a better suited example though.

Guest bimpy474

Every team will play ok in parts. You like a lot of others don't seem to be able to see middle ground. We play ok sometimes but we play mostly crap for the greater of it.

We do play ok, but it's never for more than a short spell during a game, we spend 70 mins of virtually every game sitting back.

I genuinely hope that you saw the humour and immense irony in that sentence, like.

Of course mate, i did as soon as i wrote it. Then again i wanted Pardew gone long before most so i'm a lost cause. (as i keep saying, the style of play is why, 99% for me)

Redknapp got £20m+...and he got worse.

But people are touting him for the job here.

Probably because they can't think of anyone else, if Pardew is going to be sacked at any point considering the structure of the club i think its quite likely a replacement will be from the continent. All things considered its highly unlikely said replacement will be mentioned on here very much for obvious reasons.

Guest bimpy474

Happy Face is adamant to keep this weird argument going, like. Fervently defending a manager who he concedes is a "no-mark" purely because he doesn't like Mike Ashley. It's mad.

Ad hominem.

Doesn't engage any of my points.

Just says I'm mad.

There is evidence that Alan Pardew is capable of getting Newcastle united  to finish in the top 5.  There is evidence of awful injury issues hindering that this season, of our main goal threat being sold and not replaced adequately.  There is evidence of improved results since he was given extra bodies to fill some of the gaps in January.

What evidence is there that Mike Ashley can find a more accomplished manager?

Ba wasn't replaced directly (what evidence is there of Ashley doing this btw?), but Pardew was given cover up front and LB and first teamers in defence and midfield. You can't have it both ways. Yes we missed out on Remy, but every other position was strengthened halfway through the season. We improved from losing almost every match, I don't see how that can be used as evidence of anything but the bare minimum given £20m of investment. The managers of the other teams we've been scrapping with could only dream of that level of improvement at that time.

A manager needs to be more than simply the bloke that picks his most expensive players and sits on the sidelines waiting to see if they win. Much more.

Redknapp got £20m+...and he got worse.

But people are touting him for the job here.

I'm with you on this, 4 points from safety. Buy 5 or so players. Yet he's had no real criticism.

Well from watching games, when the opposition makes changes and get at us, Pardew has no reaction, no change other than Shola it seemed at times.

Overall Pardew doesn't react at all, hence we get pushed back combined with our terrible ball retension and lack of real forward movement and play. Well there it is.

What Change do you prefer to Shola?  Williamson?  Perch? Gosling?

You have a problem with the tools here, not the workman.

Of course you dont. You set the team up to pass, to move, to keep the ball. Pardew does none of those. He sets the team up to be tight, rigid and not give much away.

Then he hopes a bit of magic will get a goal. Now that is fine if when you set up like we do, if you do keep it tight, but 67 goals conceded tells you he can't do that to well.

Pardew has a decent squad at his disposal, lacking a striker which is ridiculous tbh. But overall to be so close to relegation is telling of his lack of ability. A question you've not answered (my apologises if i've missed it), our style of play is dreadful, our GK hoofing it into the box from 50/60 yards out, a tactic has never ever worked. Pardew is responsible for that, to keep trying something that is so poor.

Pardew is a terrible manager at getting a team to play good, passing football. Is he not ?

he is a terrible manager at getting results without luck thats what it comes down to, and the turgid boring negative shit he brings to the table just further compounds his situation at the club.

Guest bimpy474

Reading was the prime example. Dominated for an hour before Pardew shat himself and whipped off the main fretts to Reading, Marveaux and Cabaye , who had ran the show between them. Ended up losing.

That's a bad example, as it's not entirely true. He took of Marveaux, that much is true. I forget who replaced him. However, Cabaye then asked to come off as he felt a knock/strain of some kind. That unfortunately left us well short on creativity and forward momentum. I'm sure that you can find a better suited example though.

Very true, but if we had a ingrained pattern of play, like keeping the ball. Well it's been said so many times anyway fwiw.

Much more sensible to view it from the perspective that players lose concentration, they forget their instructions, they panic after a bit of pressure and resort more and more to methods that they had not been asked to use when in training for the game.

think hans might have covered this but let's assume you're correct - what has the manager done about it in 2.5 years then? his job isn't to just let shit happen...if you were right, and i don't think you are, he's paid to find a way to stop it happening

Not really as it was Cabayes comeback game after a lay off and Pardew must've had an inkling he wasn't going to get the 90. In which case, why did he take off Marveaux beforehand ?

Guest bimpy474

Well from watching games, when the opposition makes changes and get at us, Pardew has no reaction, no change other than Shola it seemed at times.

Overall Pardew doesn't react at all, hence we get pushed back combined with our terrible ball retension and lack of real forward movement and play. Well there it is.

What Change do you prefer to Shola?  Williamson?  Perch? Gosling?

You have a problem with the tools here, not the workman.

Of course you dont. You set the team up to pass, to move, to keep the ball. Pardew does none of those. He sets the team up to be tight, rigid and not give much away.

Then he hopes a bit of magic will get a goal. Now that is fine if when you set up like we do, if you do keep it tight, but 67 goals conceded tells you he can't do that to well.

Pardew has a decent squad at his disposal, lacking a striker which is ridiculous tbh. But overall to be so close to relegation is telling of his lack of ability. A question you've not answered (my apologises if i've missed it), our style of play is dreadful, our GK hoofing it into the box from 50/60 yards out, a tactic has never ever worked. Pardew is responsible for that, to keep trying something that is so poor.

Pardew is a terrible manager at getting a team to play good, passing football. Is he not ?

he is a terrible manager at getting results without luck thats what it comes down to, and the turgid boring negative shit he brings to the table just further compounds his situation at the club.

I understand why people are blaming Ashley etc, but this season is down to Pardew and his tactics, to say otherwise is flying in the face of all the evidence and plain old common sense.

Guest bimpy474

These discussions go around in circles.

Pardew is not good enough for this level, it really is that simple.

Guest neesy111

Very true, but if we had a ingrained pattern of play, like keeping the ball. Well it's been said so many times anyway fwiw.

Perch replaced Marveaux.

Much more sensible to view it from the perspective that players lose concentration, they forget their instructions, they panic after a bit of pressure and resort more and more to methods that they had not been asked to use when in training for the game.

Aye and we just happen to do this the most out of every single team in the league. What a coincidence that Alan f***ing Pardew is our manager.

What is it then HappyFace, massive coincidence or do our players have the worst concentration levels in the league?

Notice how Happy Face conveniently ignores posts he finds uncomfortable to answer.

As much a fraud as a poster as our fraud of a manager.

Guest alijmitchell

think hans might have covered this but let's assume you're correct - what has the manager done about it in 2.5 years then? his job isn't to just let s*** happen...if you were right, and i don't think you are, he's paid to find a way to stop it happening

Quite right. I'd like to think that if I kept losing concentration at work half way through doing something and my manager was watching me do this for the best part of 9 months, he'd have a word about changing things. Also, even if this were true and generally Pardew sets us up for the first half, and then the players panic in the second, how do you explain the sheer lack of threat from any first half corner kicks or set pieces? Do the players just panic and forget instructions every time we get a free kick?

What is it then HappyFace, massive coincidence or do our players have the worst concentration levels in the league?

Your're just repeating my question to you.

Given how often we've looked better i the first half of games as opposed to the second half of games, my view is that they are following the game-plan early on.

Whether due to goals scored or conceded, or the game getting on, or the opposition taking it up a notch.  Our players struggle to maintain their shape and concentration for 90 minutes.

This is more understandable with 3 or 4 new continental recruits on the pitch who are getting up to the pace of the English game, and a constantly changing starting 11 (when compared to last season)

Can you expand on why you believe Pardew sees us playing reasonably good stuff, then insists we stop playing so well and start defending for outr lives?  Settling for what he's got and hoping for more doesn't really cover it because he could do that from the first whistle, but the consensus seems to be, we don't.

Guest icemanblue

Not really as it was Cabayes comeback game after a lay off and Pardew must've had an inkling he wasn't going to get the 90. In which case, why did he take off Marveaux beforehand ?

He may not have got the 90, but I'd hazard a guess that he was expecting him to last longer than the 60 (EDIT: Checked, it was 73) he did manage. As I say, it's a bad example because you'd given the impression that he'd elected to 'whip' them both off, despite them playing well. That wasn't the case, as an unexpected situation had caused the second substitution. Something he admitted after game, if I remember correctly. In this example, it wasn't his absolute intention to completely stifle our creativity and forward impetus.

There'll be other, clearer, and more damning examples. You could point to those instead?

Guest bimpy474

Perch replaced Marveaux.

I still say a decent manager could get half decent players to pass the ball.

Take the Brighton v Palace game, both teams played far better football than we do. That's down to their managers, you can't say their players are better than ours. The managers get their teams to pass and move, simple as that.

Pardew's take is more percentage, get it forward more direct. And i hate it.

think hans might have covered this but let's assume you're correct - what has the manager done about it in 2.5 years then? his job isn't to just let shit happen...if you were right, and i don't think you are, he's paid to find a way to stop it happening

He got 5 new players in January that are better than the ones they replaced.  They will help with that, long term.

Short term they are as likely to show inexperience or panic as those lesser players.

Guest bimpy474

Aye and we just happen to do this the most out of every single team in the league. What a coincidence that Alan f***ing Pardew is our manager.

Notice how Happy Face conveniently ignores posts he finds uncomfortable to answer.

I've noticed that, i asked him about our style of play and the free kick hoofs. Maybe this will jog his memory.

I've noticed that, i asked him about our style of play and the free kick hoofs. Maybe this will jog his memory.

Pardew tells the players make darting runs and for the ball to be whipped in with pace but they just ignore him, probably due to tiredness or something. The same with Elliott taking our freekicks on the halfway line, Pardew thought it was mental but the cheeky chappy just continued to do it anyway.

There's also rumours that Jonas wasn't even picked for half of his 33 starts this season, the guy just refuses to sit on the bench and plays against everyone's will.

I'll pack it in with the woeful craic now.

He got 5 new players in January that are better than the ones they replaced.  They will help with that, long term.

Short term they are as likely to show inexperience or panic as those lesser players.

doesn't explain the identical performances, indeed worse performances, prior to january

Guest bimpy474

Pardew tells the players make darting runs and for the ball to be whipped in with pace but they just ignore him, probably due to tiredness or something. The same with Elliott taking our freekicks on the halfway line, Pardew thought it was mental but the cheeky chappy just continued to do it anyway.

There's also rumours that Jonas wasn't even picked for half of his 33 starts this season, the guy just refuses to sit on the bench and plays against everyone's will.

I'll pack it in with the woeful craic now.

:lol: it was going on a bit.

He may not have got the 90, but I'd hazard a guess that he was expecting him to last longer than the 60 (I think?) he did manage. As I say, it's a bad example because you'd given the impression that he'd elected to 'whip' them both off, despite them playing well. That wasn't the case, as an unexpected situation had caused the second substitution. Something he admitted after game, if I remember correctly. In this example, it wasn't his absolute intention to completely stifle our creativity and forward impetus.

There'll be other, clearer, and more damning examples. You could point to those instead?

He said it was unexpected. I'm saying that Cabaye struggles to get 90 when he plays week in week out, so it shouldn't have been unexpected and he should never have even contemplated taking Marveaux off beforehand.

It was rank bad management, and effectively cost us the game.