Alan Pardew

Mike

It's a fact.  We've relied less on long balls as the season has gone on.

Whether Pardew has the ability to have his team pass it and move around our opponents effectively is another matter.  But those that don't like hoofball should give credit the change in approach, rather than blindly repeat that we're still as bad as we were in September for it.

There hasn't been a huge shift in approach and if anything we actually played less long ball football leading up to January than we did after January. Against Man Utd and Arsenal for example, for long spells our football was good, very good.

That short shift in approach mainly coincided with the Jan arrivals anyway, but once the dust had settled so to speak, the long ball soon reappeared to the point where we used it a lot, even in Europe.

Our football hasn't really improved at all, if anything its worse given the higher calibre of players/more options.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2z8c09f.jpg

Whether Pardew has the ability to have his team pass it and move around our opponents effectively is another matter.  But those that don't like hoofball should give credit the change in approach, rather than blindly repeat that we're still as bad as we were in September for it.

There hasn't been a huge shift in approach and if anything we actually played less long ball football leading up to January than we did after January. Against Man Utd and Arsenal for example, for long spells our football was good, very good.

That short shift in approach mainly coincided with the Jan arrivals anyway, but once the dust had settled so to speak, the long ball soon reappeared to the point where we used it a lot, even in Europe.

Our football hasn't really improved at all, if anything its worse given the higher calibre of players/more options.

What in fucks name is that? Woeful.

Guest icemanblue

Bustin' out the graphs, like a G. :lol:

The very thought of the effort makes my scrotum cringe, but fair play to you.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2re6x09.jpg

There's the numbers.

So, tell me how Pardew isn't doing anything to reduce our reliance on long balls if we've avearged 20 less in the last third of the season compared to the first 3rd?

Fucking stats.

Shit

Mean nowt.

I see us hoof it with me eyes man, I trust them more.

Bollocks, you've a pavlovian response to any long balls.  Every one sticks like a craw in your neck and you're blinded to the actual real improvements being strived for.

Guest bimpy474

That looks entirely made up.

:lol:

pick a game at random.

Click "match report" here....

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/23/Fixtures/England-Newcastle-United

Observe the breakdown of pass types and tell me if I falsified any.

How do you know that site is accurate?

Obviously it's more accurate than your eyes and judgement of watching us over the years Mick.

Stop posting facts man, they get well in the way of popular opinion. There's a good boy.

:lol: Again open to vast interpretation. A pin point 40 yard diagonal is by definition a "long ball". In the same way a long hopeful punt up to Cisse is a "long ball". This reliance on stats is ludicrous, people have watched it with their own eyes.

Also "improvements"  :lol: :lol: so we cut it back a bit. I should think so considering we threw five players in the mix.

You've basically posted what I mockingly said the response would be.  Not sure if it's serious.

If we've averaged less than 55 long balls per game for the last 3 months, that is one of the lowest in the league man, irrespective of whether they're pinpoint or wild hoofs.

Stop posting facts man, they get well in the way of popular opinion. There's a good boy.

:lol: Facts. Graphs with no axis labels nor accompanying explanations are now facts!? It's fucking nonsense man you daft shite.

I also watch the matches with my own eyes, albeit mostly on the telly, and there is a lot not to like about our style of play, but a hoofball team we are not imho. We do play long balls of course, but so does almost every other team in the league.

:lol: Facts. Graphs with no axis labels nor accompanying explanations are now facts!? It's f***ing nonsense man you daft s****.

Are you telling me you don't understand the axis values..? A wild stab in the dark here: X for fixtures, Y for number of long balls (in that particular fixture).. :lol:

I'm still baffled by that comment from Pardew about getting Tiote OUT of the habit of just winning it and giving it. He seems to have been worse and worse since then.

It's all he should be doing as far as I'm concerned.

I get the point, but he's getting flak for playing crap football, and criticised for seemingly trying to get one of his cloggers to improve his game.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Guest bimpy474

I love the fact that someone who has watched every minute of every game, their judgement is now question by Stats that show no reflection in the state of a game at any one time. Stats don't show whether you were on the back foot, front foot, time wasting, particular incidents in games etc.

It's utter flangewipe, our eyes and years of watching football are a better judge than a bunch of numbers. 

I love the fact that someone who has watched every minute of every game, their judgement is now question by Stats that show no reflection in the state of a game at any one time. Starts don't show whether you were on the back foot, front foot, time wasting, particular incidents in games etc.

It's utter flangewipe, our eyes and years of watching football are a better judge than a bunch of numbers. 

And here's the rub...Pards loves his stats and averages. ;)