Alan Pardew

Mike

2 wins in 10, including losing two home matches by an aggregate of 9-0. That's quite an improvement.

Stats don't work in football don't you know?

Points are quite important as it happens.

Nah, just another stat. Football matches should be decided on aesthetic grounds.

2 wins in 10, including losing two home matches by an aggregate of 9-0. That's quite an improvement.

Stats don't work in football don't you know?

Points are quite important as it happens.

Nah, just another stat. Football matches should be decided on aesthetic grounds.

Oh dear.

A proper 4-3-3 of

Debuchy Colo MYM Santon

Sissoko Tiote Cabaye

HBA Cissé Gouffran

Would be bloody brilliant. Shame we'll never see it under current management.

It might look good on paper, but there's few goals, no threat from set pieces, Cheick Tiote, and a lack of physicality in CD. We're gonna have to accept that the current squad is a work in progress in need of investment and replacement.

I don't really agree with the first part, I think that team does have goal in it. Cisse, Gouff and Ben Arfa all score goals and Siss and Cabaye can ship in a few as well. I do think we need to strengthen and from what has been seen I do agree that MYM and Colo can't play together.

That team would always score goals if the manager in question gave license to get bodies forward when in possession.

Look at Swansea, Routledge suddenly scores and creates goals by the bucketload same goes for Maloney at Wigan because they allowed to join the centre forward when in possession.

Of course it won't score goals if we are deep and not allowed to join the attack very often, Bale is another example no coincidence since he was allowed to be high up the pitch his goal rate went up.

Its not a coincidence.

Cisse aside, none of those players have ever really been consistent goalscores. And we certainly won't ever see the best of Cisse unless we get creativity either side of him.

None of the players i mentioned were either until they were allowed to be close to goal at a consistent basis, i'm a firm believer that if you get midfielders constantly supporting in and around the box when in possession then your goal rate improves.

Guest bimpy474

Less long balls were played but we were still shit. Does that summarise what happened?

Basically. He was trying to address it but we were still woeful.

Spot on.

We've scored less, lost more, won less and conceded more than ever. The performances have been so poor that I've considered jacking the season ticket in next year. His football is awful, doesn't entertain anyone and going to the game simply isn't enjoyable for me any more, I go more out of duty and a misguided obligation rather than in the expectation of, god forbid, seeing a Newcastle team attacking the opposition.

Not one player has improved in the last year, his tactics are cowardly, sterile and negative. His use of substitutions are as baffling as they are negative. The regression is results and performances has been shockingly bad, the squad and the players are going backwards at a rate of knots and the worrying thing is that Pardew looks helpless to stop it. One look at his CV shows that this pattern has been repeated elsewhere - start well, initial success followed by a tailing off process that ultimately ends in the sack.

I've lost all faith in him turning this around and I'd rather he wasn't allowed to take us further backwards than he already has done. It's a matter of 'when', not 'if' he goes now. This repair job is beyond him. If other have got more patience in him putting it right and getting us back in to top 6 or 7 next season then fair play, I've had enough though. 

Guest Dontooner

After losing 10 out of 13 league games.  Only losing 6 in 14 is much improved. Aye.

Love your optimism, love your Avatar which shows bravery when three inmates politely ask to wash your ass and relax.

Guest bimpy474

We've scored less, lost more, won less and conceded more than ever. The performances have been so poor that I've considered jacking the season ticket in next year. His football is awful, doesn't entertain anyone and going to the game simply isn't enjoyable for me any more, I go more out of duty and a misguided obligation rather than in the expectation of, god forbid, seeing a Newcastle team attacking the opposition.

Not one player has improved in the last year, his tactics are cowardly, sterile and negative. His use of substitutions are as baffling as they are negative. The regression is results and performances has been shockingly bad, the squad and the players are going backwards at a rate of knots and the worrying thing is that Pardew looks helpless to stop it. One look at his CV shows that this pattern has been repeated elsewhere - start well, initial success followed by a tailing off process that ultimately ends in the sack.

I've lost all faith in him turning this around and I'd rather he wasn't allowed to take us further backwards than he already has done. It's a matter of 'when', not 'if' he goes now. This repair job is beyond him. If other have got more patience in him putting it right and getting us back in to top 6 or 7 next season then fair play, I've had enough though. 

No stats to back this up  :huff:

This is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard....well done.

So. In October it was clear that we played more long balls than anyone else.

Pardew was rightly criticized.

In the last 3 months we've played less long balls than all but a few teams. I take that as an improvement.

But Pardew is still criticised because even though we use much less long balls, those that we do use are poor quality.

Your complaint is not about the quantity of long balls but the quality?  You don't want him to play on the deck necessarily?

Less doesn't mean they are any better, and i dispute your stats, stats mean nothing and for to keep using them toward me is not going to work. They are still aimless punts which we dont win. We have a Cisse, so unsuited to a long ball aimed at him it's untrue, but yet we still persisited. Now i want us to play good football, possession football. That doesn't mean all tippy tappy, a mixture. Like i say, which you and your chums seem to be dismissing, a longer pass is fine, now if Andy Carroll say was up top i've no doubt he would turn a aimless long ball into a decent one. But i want us to play short, fast controlled possession football, with lots of movement.

Now this is where you have avoided answering, Pardew throughout his career has never got any of his team to do this, so why should he get anymore time. We are more than two years into his reign and our football has got worse and worse. He isn't going to change, Jesus our set pieces tell you all you need to know about his lack of imagination.

If he stays, we will continue to play boring, direct, non possession percentage football. Which might be slightly better if we sign a Andy Carroll type suited to it. But i, as someone who wanted him gone over 6 months ago because if there's anything i hate, it's poor football and that mate is exactly what Pardew gives you.

I don't think you have understood my posts. Sorry I've not been clearer.

Pardew has recently managed to get his team playing less long balls than almost all other teams in the league.

As they have started playing a more passing game results have also improved.

Given time, as the new players settle more and Pardew hopefully decides who will play where this interplay will hopefully improve.

It doesn't happen from one game to the next.  But in putting a stop to the goofball that we were playing the first step has been taken.

I accept we may have played less long passes. What you seem to not grasp. In some of those games we had less possession, obviously meaning less passing. Now you have to study every game in detail, for possession, for where that possession mainly was on the pitch. You can't factor that into an overall stat, the ones you are using.

In my post Chez, i would say with a hell a lot of arrogance, that i've no doubt i watch our games more than anyone else. I watch them over and over, if you did the same you would know that the stats you are using are just nonsense to what my eyes see and my rather educated football brain tell me.

Why add that second bit? An idiot can watch something over and over and still be an idiot. Your arrogance does you down, one thing i know about people is that the more they say they are clever, the less likely it is to be true.

Thats the second time i've seen this line or argument in this thread in 24 hours. 'You're wrong because i am cleverer than you'. Take it from me, its not working.

Pardew has recently managed to get his team playing less long balls than almost all other teams in the league.

Given time, as the new players settle more and Pardew hopefully decides who will play where this interplay will hopefully improve.

It doesn't happen from one game to the next.  But in putting a stop to the goofball that we were playing the first step has been taken.

Pardew has recently given us our worst home defeat to the mackems since 1978, next home game he delivered our worst home defeat in 87 years.

Things are really looking up.

I don't think there are many posters who wouldn't want Pardew sacked and replaced by a better manager if presented with that option; we're pretty much all in agreement this season has been a huge disappointment/underachievement. Just some of us don't go overboard with the Pardew criticism to the point of personal abuse or not accepting any mitigating circumstances, and acknowledge it is highly unlucky Ashley will sack Pardew (due to the stability guff they came out with a mere 8 months ago) and replace with a better manager (based on his track record in this area).

With a full squad at his disposable as well.  But I think there were leafs on the pitch.

Pardew has recently given us our worst home defeat to the mackems since 1978, next home game he delivered our worst home defeat in 87 years.

Be quiet Mick, we're no longer losing 10 out of 13 games. For that we should be eternally grateful.

If you take those two results out, then things were. They were disgraceful enough to wipe out whatever progress had been made from before Christmas but up to that point it looked like things were improving.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ah don't be so down man, statistically we are playing fewer long balls these days.

Guest bimpy474

In the last 3 months we've played less long balls than all but a few teams. I take that as an improvement.

But Pardew is still criticised because even though we use much less long balls, those that we do use are poor quality.

Your complaint is not about the quantity of long balls but the quality?  You don't want him to play on the deck necessarily?

Less doesn't mean they are any better, and i dispute your stats, stats mean nothing and for to keep using them toward me is not going to work. They are still aimless punts which we dont win. We have a Cisse, so unsuited to a long ball aimed at him it's untrue, but yet we still persisited. Now i want us to play good football, possession football. That doesn't mean all tippy tappy, a mixture. Like i say, which you and your chums seem to be dismissing, a longer pass is fine, now if Andy Carroll say was up top i've no doubt he would turn a aimless long ball into a decent one. But i want us to play short, fast controlled possession football, with lots of movement.

Now this is where you have avoided answering, Pardew throughout his career has never got any of his team to do this, so why should he get anymore time. We are more than two years into his reign and our football has got worse and worse. He isn't going to change, Jesus our set pieces tell you all you need to know about his lack of imagination.

If he stays, we will continue to play boring, direct, non possession percentage football. Which might be slightly better if we sign a Andy Carroll type suited to it. But i, as someone who wanted him gone over 6 months ago because if there's anything i hate, it's poor football and that mate is exactly what Pardew gives you.

I accept we may have played less long passes. What you seem to not grasp. In some of those games we had less possession, obviously meaning less passing. Now you have to study every game in detail, for possession, for where that possession mainly was on the pitch. You can't factor that into an overall stat, the ones you are using.

In my post Chez, i would say with a hell a lot of arrogance, that i've no doubt i watch our games more than anyone else. I watch them over and over, if you did the same you would know that the stats you are using are just nonsense to what my eyes see and my rather educated football brain tell me.

Why add that second bit? An idiot can watch something over and over and still be an idiot. Your arrogance does you down, one thing i know about people is that the more they say they are clever, the less likely it is to be true.

Thats the second time i've seen this line or argument in this thread in 24 hours. 'You're wrong because i am cleverer than you'. Take it from me, its not working.

It's not about being clever, it's about common sense which you and HF seem not to have (in the watching us sense). You are both simply wrong. You deny what your eyes are telling you, yet want to believe stats that tell you nothing.

By the way, there's nothing personal in this, didn't want you to think it was. This is the place to discuss this stuff whatever your views.

I don't think there are many posters who wouldn't want Pardew sacked and replaced by a better manager if presented with that option; we're pretty much all in agreement this season has been a huge disappointment/underachievement. Just some of us don't go overboard with the Pardew criticism to the point of personal abuse or not accepting any mitigating circumstances, and acknowledge it is highly unlucky Ashley will sack Pardew (due to the stability guff they came out with a mere 8 months ago) and replace with a better manager (based on his track record in this area).

This bloke has come ridiculously close to relegating us. How much shitter does it have to get? Relegation would set us back years and this bloke very nearly achieved it this year. I'm aware of Ashley's track record of appointing managers but keeping the present incompetent boss purely because his replacement may be even worse is no argument at all.

Everyone accepts he's poor. Everyone accepts he's taking the club backwards but some want too keep him. I simply can't agree with the logic of persisting with a bloke who's universally regarded as being a poor manager. I'd rather Ashley rolled the dice tbh. 

It's not about being clever, it's about common sense which you and HF seem not to have (in the watching us sense). You are both simply wrong. You deny what your eyes are telling you, yet want to believe stats that tell you nothing.

By the way, there's nothing personal in this, didn't want you to think it was. This is the place to discuss this stuff whatever your views.

Simply wrong about what? That the stats dont back up specific elements of the many criticisms that are put forward against Pardew? 'we dont create chances' yes we do, not amazing ones but we do and all teams statistics face the same anomalies so the rank will be preserved. About as factual as you can get. 'we just play it long all the time' - yes we did but the quantity fell (corresponding to a run of better results) which shows we dont play it long as much as we did and now less than other teams. About as factual as you can get.

What you got for me apart from how many hours you've left your wife frustrated upstairs whilst you watch re-runs of our game until 4am?

Guest Dontooner

Got a feeling some of the posters are preaching to make us better people in here.

Don't try to be too arrogant or clever

Don't go overboard with the criticism

Well we might need to repent...so wise...

Guest bimpy474

Simply wrong about what? That the stats dont back up specific elements of the many criticisms that are put forward against Pardew? 'we dont create chances' yes we do, not amazing ones but we do and all teams statistics face the same anomalies so the rank will be preserved. About as factual as you can get. 'we just play it long all the time' - yes we did but the quantity fell (corresponding to a run of better results) which shows we dont play it long as much as we did and now less than other teams. About as factual as you can get.

What you got for me apart from how many hours you've left your wife frustrated upstairs whilst you watch re-runs of our game until 4am?

:lol: Haha Shall i tell him ?

No stats to back this up  :huff:

Restricting it to Premier League

We didn't score more in 1998, 2001, 2007, 2008 & 2009

We lost as many in 2009

We didn't win more in 1998, 1999, 2007,2008 or 2011

He's spot on that we've never conceded this many like :)

If you take those two results out, then things were. They were disgraceful enough to wipe out whatever progress had been made from before Christmas but up to that point it looked like things were improving.

If I've seen any improvement then it hasn't been anything to get excited about, do you not get sick of the shite he comes out with?

Personally, I think his negativity is as much of a problem with him regarding results as the way he sets us up.  We already know why we're not going to do well before a game because he tells us.

Do you tell people at work that they are going to fail when you set them a task and would you allow people who work for you to just do as they wish as some people seem to think the players do with Pardew?  I think I know how you would answer both.