Alan Pardew

Mike

Tbh, I wouldn't count 8th as 'bouncing back' considering an extra 3 wins would have got us to 8th this season. Unless those 3 wins were all after January, it still would have been an atrocious season.

You make it sound like an extra 3 wins is nothing, that's 9 points, that is going to lift you up a fair deal no matter what position you are in. Yes the football we have played has been shocking, mainly second half performances however. I don't believe for a single second this was all Pardew's fault, not totally anyways like people say. Going on like he’s telling us to put 9 men behind the ball and hoof to Cisse when given the chance simply because we’ve won the first half 1-0 or whatever. Utter nonsense. I think it was plain to see the players struggled to cope with the pressure and with confidence very low after the abysmal season, resulted in us not taking the game back to the opposition once things started to go in the oppositions favour. No doubt Pardew takes a large share of the blame as well, he should be able to instil a belief back in the players, he should be making his changes at better times, with better choice of personnel but not for one second do i believe he’s cost us all these dreadful second half performances due to his half time team talks simply being, lets defend for our lives and don’t go forward. I can certainly see us putting up a very different show next season and might even surprise one or two in a positive way. But time will tell.

:thup:

"No interest" in Andy Carroll according to SSN but Pardew has already said he wants him.

Am I reading too much into this? Absolutely yes. But still....

:lol:

Don't do it to yourself man.

I can't help it, I just hate the man so much :lol:

I'm strangely optimistic for next year, I think we'll refine our transfer policy a little (aka we'll bring in a style that Pardew wants, but not from England) and we'll do well. I'm not too fussed if we go 4-4-2, we saw on Sunday that we can make it work with an outlet, Gouffran's pace in this instance, and play good, direct football using it.

Discounting outgoings for now, if we add 2 wingers (one for the first team, one squad player), a target man striker (a plan B) and a centre half, we'll do alright.

Benitez won't go to Napoli.

Porquoi?

Dosen't fit his persona. The club is as mad as a box of frogs with political intrigue and infighting as bad as the last days of the Roman empire. :)

If Ashley really wanted Benitez I think he could be got.

I think so as well. I also think it's possible that Ashley would go for it if he saw a real chance of some proper success. On the other hand, I still think keeping Pards is the most likely.

This. I would be massively surprised if Benitez would snub us IF we met his demands and he was given suitable control. Obviously Mike is highly unlikely to meet those demands though.

I don't know if we could even deal with a manager like that... not sure anyone at the club has the ability to even discuss it with him.

Guest Howaythetoon

Comments from Pardew 1 year ago:

"I’m hoping that I will educate our fans for next season.

"If they think we can finish fifth with a European campaign and the finances we’ve got, it’s impossible. I honestly believe that you need to be a bit more open with the fans. The problem some managers have is they’re not open enough.

"This year, I’m sure we’ll say something like, ‘We’re looking for a top-eight finish, hopefully attack one of the cups and have a great run in Europe. I wouldn’t say we couldn’t challenge for the top six if we got knocked out of Europe. Then we wouldn’t have those extra 13 games."

Yet at his talk-in a few months later he said the aim was the top 4 and the CL and although he did admit Europe was a pain, he did say we would be trying to win that and every other cup we were in. The man is walking contradiction and a complete and utter fraud as a result.

Guest hobshobs

This. I would be massively surprised if Benitez would snub us IF we met his demands and he was given suitable control. Obviously Mike is highly unlikely to meet those demands though.

I don't know if we could even deal with a manager like that... not sure anyone at the club has the ability to even discuss it with him.

Brilliantly put. Agree 100%

Then it really just comes down to whether Ashley wants to grow the club or just survive. It might be tempting for him to just keep treading water, but it's not as simple as that. We are signing players with ambition and I doubt they will want to be here just to survive. Benitez might be a prickly character, but the best managers usually are as Abramovich has found out at Chelsea the hard way.

Sure. I meant 'deal with' more in the sense of even being able to talk to him in a common language. I think it's just possible Ashley might see an appealing chance for success, but it's got to be unlikely.

I think this is the first time things have gone tits up in his reign and he hasn't got the blame.  That's gotta make him a little bit happy.

What's frustrating is that I'm absolutely certain that if we appointed Benitez and gave him 4-5 years, he would win us a trophy of some kind and a few European campaigns.  It might only be a League Cup that we won, but I wouldn't care..

Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore 4m

Whelan '' Martinez wants 24hrs more to make his decision, my gut feeling is he wants to stay, tomorrow is D-day''. @talkSPORT LIVE

Hope he's waiting for the outcome of this meeting.