Alan Pardew

Mike

“I make all the football decisions that evolve around the game that’s being played on a Saturday.

“In terms of the transfers, that’s a different story."

I remember being sneered at for suggesting this was the case when he was appointed.

The story changes on a daily basis.

It does indeed. Won't take long for the wheels to come off, at all - if we don't get off to a good start. If we get a horsing at Man City on Monday night, including a meek surrender - the knives will come out quickly.

That's an unbelievable quote from Pardew  :lol:

tbh I'm not so sure its all that uncommon a view among managers and owners in England, few sides have ever bothered to take it seriously, its just perceived as getting in the way since it doesn't have the financial rewards to really make it worthwhile see also cups; FA and League

Go look up Laudrup's recent quotes on the Europa league. He was pushing it as giving his team an advantage for the start of the season. Just a completely different mindset i.e. a positive one!

Besides even if Pardew feels that way, as the manager of the football club, he should never openly say that. It's awful.

People keep saying the cup isn't taken seriously, but the players and fans don't feel this way.

If Newcastle won it, it would be a huge deal. He just can't say that crap.

I find the story of him thinking about playing Elliot instead of Krul at Man City very disturbing.

Why risk Krul if he isn't 100% right?

Elliott will do okay as long as the defence are organised and do their jobs in front of him.

He's not good enough plain and simple. A new back up goalkeeper should have been on our list of priorities this summer.

Guest bimpy474

Erm... there's no way Pardew would pick Elliot instead of Krul if Krul was fit. Not sure why we're even talking about it.

Pardew said: “I would have no concerns at all about playing Rob against Manchester City.

“I’m a little reluctant to talk about this because Tim has been fine and will be absolutely fine.

“He has worked really hard and is over the injury.

“However, Rob has played a lot of games in pre-season and has looked really good.

It was just this bit Ian, me reading too much into obviously.

Guest bimpy474

Hasn't Elliot been having his own injury issues?

He did but his fit now, and played most of the pre season games.

That's an unbelievable quote from Pardew  :lol:

tbh I'm not so sure its all that uncommon a view among managers and owners in England, few sides have ever bothered to take it seriously, its just perceived as getting in the way since it doesn't have the financial rewards to really make it worthwhile see also cups; FA and League

Go look up Laudrup's recent quotes on the Europa league. He was pushing it as giving his team an advantage for the start of the season. Just a completely different mindset i.e. a positive one!

Besides even if Pardew feels that way, as the manager of the football club, he should never openly say that. It's awful.

People keep saying the cup isn't taken seriously, but the players and fans don't feel this way.

If Newcastle won it, it would be a huge deal. He just can't say that crap.

Pardew was positive about it early on too, story changed once he got into the Thursday Sunday routine, we'll see how long Laudrup keeps up the positive attitude or how long until a few defeats post european games and the europa excuse is being reached for.

Remember all managers everywhere on the planet are going to reach for convenient excuses or if all else fails make one up about the ref

That's nonsense, like. Their 'class' hasn't produced any massively standout performances, and they've both been lacking when it comes to dealing with the physicality of the league. There's no escaping that. Granted, they haven't had a wealth of chances, but they haven't done a great deal with what they have been afforded.

agreed they lacked something for dealing with the physicality of the league but thats why I'd be prepared to be patient, theres a long history of players needing a season or 2 to adapt to the prem and they've only really had 1 (marveaux's first season doesn't count due to lack of game time because of injury)

I have to say, and sorry if this is too negative, but I'm just looking forward to enjoying the first weekend of the season without having to be angry about our team selection, formation or performance.

I will actually be able to enjoy the first Match of the Day and all, which I couldn't watch most of last season due to being pissed off.

Come Monday, and well, let's see what happens then. I'm definitely going to be bricking it.We could potentially see Elliott, Shola and Jonas start as things stand.

I have to say, and sorry if this is too negative, but I'm just looking forward to enjoying the first weekend of the season without having to be angry about our team selection, formation or performance.

I will actually be able to enjoy the first Match of the Day and all, which I couldn't watch most of last season due to being pissed off.

Come Monday, and well, let's see what happens then. I'm definitely going to be bricking it.We could potentially see Elliott, Shola and Jonas start as things stand.

Jonas is inj. Think it will be much tighter than people think. It's much better to play the good teams early doors.

That's nonsense, like. Their 'class' hasn't produced any massively standout performances, and they've both been lacking when it comes to dealing with the physicality of the league. There's no escaping that. Granted, they haven't had a wealth of chances, but they haven't done a great deal with what they have been afforded.

agreed they lacked something for dealing with the physicality of the league but thats why I'd be prepared to be patient, theres a long history of players needing a season or 2 to adapt to the prem and they've only really had 1 (marveaux's first season doesn't count due to lack of game time because of injury)

Both Anita and Marveaux are talented enough to play in this league. It doesn't seem like Pardew is capable of utilizing either properly though, particularly Anita.

Jonas is inj. Think it will be much tighter than people think. It's much better to play the good teams early doors.

If you're a good side, that's probably true - like when Spurs got spanked off Man City and Man Utd in successive fixtures but then went on to build a great season anyway, but if your team is built on foundations of sand (as ours is), if you hit a slump early, you tend to stay in it for the season - as we did last year. Much prefer some confidence-boosters/early points on the board/momentum.

Whatever we're like, much better to play Man City now when they're not gelled. Not that we'll win, but it's a minor positive.

A rather pathetic performance from both sides, ending in a draw, wouldn't surprise me.

Nor would an absolute face-fucking for us.

Whatever we're like, much better to play Man City now when they're not gelled. Not that we'll win, but it's a minor positive.

Or first home game of the season, new manager, new optimism, new more attacking tactics, most of their star players fit and healthy etc. Whereas if they are out of the title race later on they could just give up the later part of the season like last year like losing at home to Norwich etc.

Christ I can't find positivity in anything :(

If you're a good side, that's probably true - like when Spurs got spanked off Man City and Man Utd in successive fixtures but then went on to build a great season anyway, but if your team is built on foundations of sand (as ours is), if you hit a slump early, you tend to stay in it for the season - as we did last year. Much prefer some confidence-boosters/early points on the board/momentum.

Trying to drum up a bit of positivity bro. ;)

Anyway there's loads of things that might help us ie No Aguero, no Tevez, Silva in Ecuador, Nastisic inj etc...I'd rather play them now before they go on a big run of wins and while they're still finding their feet. Grasping at straws? Of course.

Or first home game of the season, new manager, new optimism, new more attacking tactics, most of their star players fit and healthy etc. Whereas if they are out of the title race later on they could just give up the later part of the season like last year like losing at home to Norwich etc.

Christ I can't find positivity in anything :(

Ours are better looking ;)

Trying to drum up a bit of positivity bro. ;)

Anyway there's loads of things that might help us ie No Aguero, no Tevez, Silva in Ecuador, Nastisic inj etc...I'd rather play them now before they go on a big run of wins and while they're still finding their feet. Grasping at straws? Of course.

Is Aguero injured?

Why is Silva in Ecuador? Are Spain playing over there like?

I think it's better to play them now as well like, gets it out the road and also agree with others who say they have a new manager and players and may not have adapted fully yet.

I'm excited for the start of the season and have no expectations whatsoever, unlike last year when i was confident we'd kick on after finishing 5th.

Feels more like the pessimistic year before when we began with a 0-0 against Arsenal and went on to finish 5th after having been concerned about how we'd do.