Alan Pardew

Mike

AP, May 2014:

"The reason we were unable to qualify for Europe this season is because we weren't in Europe so our players lacked match fitness.  But if we were in Europe then I guess our form could have been even worse as Europe would have provided an unwelcome distraction for our ambition to qualify for Europe."

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfaw9oHBMO1qfjrr6o1_250.gif

Guest WashyGeordie

George Caulkin ‏@CaulkinTheTimes 3m

Pardew believes Europe should again be #Nufc target "because we've grown from last year," (altho squad hasn't).

Expand  Reply  Retweet  Favorite  More

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why does he want Europe when he f***ing hates it, and puts all our faults down to it.  Then again, it's a ready excuse he is going to miss out on using this season. . . . . The c***.

It'll be his ready-made excuse for Cardiff and Swansea defeats aswell...

Classic Europa League dilemma really, you want to qualify for it but then you'd rather you weren't in it. Many managers feel like that I'm sure.

Exactly, don't understand all this Pardew hates Europe? He gave it his best shot, never neglected the cup and fielded weakened teams no matter the opposition. Fact of the matter is, that we generally played pretty much our strongest side in Europe and it did bare an impact on our league form and history tells us we weren't the only ones to suffer from it. Be very interesting to see how Laudrup approaches it. Do i want to be in Europe again next season? Course i do. Does Pardew? Course he does.

Classic Europa League dilemma really, you want to qualify for it but then you'd rather you weren't in it. Many managers feel like that I'm sure.

Exactly, don't understand all this Pardew hates Europe? He gave it his best shot, never neglected the cup and fielded weakened teams no matter the opposition. Fact of the matter is, that we generally played pretty much our strongest side in Europe and it did bare an impact on our league form and history tells us we weren't the only ones to suffer from it. Be very interesting to see how Laudrup approaches it. Do i want to be in Europe again next season? Course i do. Does Pardew? Course he does.

:lol:

Guest reefatoon

Because he said "thank god we're not in. Europe"?

Was just about to mention that, plus the endless moans and groans from him about it.  Brett doesn't seem interested in that though as it is no good for his massively one sided view.

He's saying it in the sense that we don't have the burden of it again this season after how we struggled last season to cope but we will still aim to be in next season but be more prepared for it. What's wrong with that?

Just been on SSN

Group are extremely fit

Good preparation for Monday

Remy no timescale due to having no pre-season

We've been actively pursuing players

Hopes to get 1 or 2 more in

We have a strong squad

Joe's position here is to make sure the transfers come in

May well be like. No doubt he didn't mean it.

:lol:

We actually played worse when we were knocked out

Never said we didn't? But anyone who thinks playing Thursday/Sunday has no effect on the team and preparation for matches really needs to have a word with them themselves. Our squad wasn’t ready for Europe, neither was Pardew. It was a lesson to the whole club of where we were at.

Guest WashyGeordie

Is he on repeat? Maybe a parrot?

He's been saying "1-2 signings" since the transfer window opened ffs.

I don't think he hates Europe.

He just was unprepared for it both as a manager and the playing staff.

We have a better squad now than when we started last year to prepare for Europe.

Think everyone will accept that we were woefully unprepared for last season as a whole that experience will be good for everyone concerned.

He was deadly serious when he said that. A straighter face you never did see.

He's saying it in the sense that we don't have the burden of it again this season after how we struggled last season to cope but we will still aim to be in next season but be more prepared for it. What's wrong with that?

Whats wrong with it is he's Alan Pardew and we didnt do very well last season basically. Its not a sensible quote tbf, hes not helped himself.

Aye - lets aim to qualify for Europe again and if somehow we magically do - Pardew will complain about too many games, injuries and not a big enough squad.  Rinse and repeat. :(

Also expect some rubbish in the following weeks and months about targeting the League/FA Cups - before we inevitably bow out in the 3rd or 4th round, with the perma-usual away draw.

No doubt Pardew moaned and complained about Europe, many managers do this. But to conclude from that that he doesn't want to finish as high up the league as possible, and therefore qualify again, is absolutely stupid.

I genuinely believe he'd prefer to finish 6th and have that spot not qualify for Europa League due to cup winners than to get in. And that's pathetic.

No doubt Pardew moaned and complained about Europe, many managers do this. But to conclude from that that he doesn't want to finish as high up the league as possible, and therefore qualify again, is absolutely stupid.

Why say it all then? Why not say "this

Club wants to challenge at he highest level, that includes Europe" or something along those lines?

I don't really know TBH, partly because people focus only on the negative quotes. It would be nice if there weren't so many, but I'm pretty sure he'll also have said he wants to finish as high as he can.

I genuinely believe he'd prefer to finish 6th and have that spot not qualify for Europa League due to cup winners than to get in. And that's pathetic.

I don't know, if the league position was the same you might be right. I don't think he'd be the only manager around to wish he didn't have to play in the Europa League mind. Some are just better at PR.

Guest reefatoon

Of course he wants to be back in Europe, it was his greatest excuse last season for his woeful management.  He is going to miss that gem of an excuse big style this season.  It was to blame for all our frailties last year "ah well, Europe's fault".  The club didn't enjoy it at all. It offers next to no money and was just looked at as something in the way.  He will be more than happy we are not in it this year, and will be more than happy with finishing 8th, because the fuckwit is small time.