Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest icemanblue

Whisper it, but we've had a good start to the season, for me. Regained some solidity in defence, and now we're starting to play a bit. Hope he keeps it up.

well apart from getting thrashed by Man City, who look pretty shit so far when people actually stand up and have a go at them.

Said at the start of the season that I'd take a humping at City, as long as we got points from our next three games. We've done that, and it doesn't appear to have had much of a negative effect.

Not going to criticise him for today. He got everything right. Though I won't lavish praise either; I'll be a lot more pragmatic about that. He needs to get us consistently playing well. Tiote was alright when he came on; although he wasn't reallly necessary. He and Jonas are decent squad options; even Shola as a laste ten minute bully. If they are in the starting 11 in the too near future though, we'll know exactly where we stand.

Guest bimpy474

We are playing better football, and we are definitely not hoofing it. Now we have switched to 4-3-3 with Pardew picking the players a majority of us say he should. You can argue that's because of injuries, and while it's only a game and 20mins that are encouraging etc, but right now things look like they are going in the right direction (JFK/Ashley aside).

People like me who aren't Pardews fans, we cannot complain as he is doing the right thing. To argue otherwise would be wrong.

He picked the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 type thing I've been crying out for with people in their correct positions, I can't complain at all.

Was a little bit skeptical of the Sammy substitution for Cabaye but understood why he went for him ahead of Marveaux given how the game was stretched and Sammy has a bit more pace and directness about him, but had no qualms at all regarding the Remy/Gouffran switch as he had pre-warned us that Remy wasn't quite 100% yet.

Tiote for Anita didn't even affect us negatively either, it stiffened us up if anything and Cheick wasn't too bad at all when he came on.

Hoping he sticks with this approach and keeps using the bench intelligently :thup:

Do any of the window lickers think Taylor, Tiote and Jonas would have been dropped?  I doubt very much that we'd won today with those players in the team.

M'biwa and Anita both made a difference to our play today and I don't think either would have started if Taylor hadn't been sent off against Man City or if Tiote and Jonas weren't both injured earlier in the season.

I think Pardew will stick with the starting 11 from today but I can also see him going back to what he likes if things don't go well every game.

Don't know whether to give him credit for today, or wonder why on earth he didnt do this sooner. No hoofing today, no negativity. We knocked the ball around well in a system that suits our players. We actually tried to win the thing and when we scored, we tried for another. None of this sitting back malarkey. The equaliser would normally see us crumble but not this time - we just popped up and scored another. His subs worked too.

I have no idea what has made him do this, but I hope he persists. I hope he sticks with Anita/MYM ahead of Tiote/Taylor because we look a far better side at both ends. He's finally found the formula, lets hope we dont lose against Hull in case he gets scared again (like the 0-4 at Wigan).

Today was a very positive day, we were suspiciously good.

We are playing better football, and we are definitely not hoofing it. Now we have switched to 4-3-3 with Pardew picking the players a majority of us say he should. You can argue that's because of injuries, and while it's only a game and 20mins that are encouraging etc, but right now things look like they are going in the right direction (JFK/Ashley aside).

People like me who aren't Pardews fans, we cannot complain as he is doing the right thing. To argue otherwise would be wrong.

It's the way we've played in the past game and a half that has been good to see. If you play with that much attacking intent, the results are bound to follow, and it's what we've been saying all along. Credit to him for today but this could have happened months ago with what he has at his disposal. As I say great result, excellent performance and long may it continue.

Guest bimpy474

It's the way we've played in the past game and a half that has been good to see. If you play with that much attacking intent, the results are bound to follow, and it's what we've been saying all along. Credit to him for today but this could have happened months ago with what he has at his disposal. As I say great result, excellent performance and long may it continue.

Agree with every word mate ;)

Got a lot more right today than he has before but still, Aston Villa looked absolutely horrible and without Bentekes hold up play they'd be nowhere. Cisse didn't really help Pardew though.

I thought we made them look horrible and he deserves some credit for that.

Oh absolutely, I'm not taking anything away from the team, I'm just saying it's a step in the right direction but we're nowhere near the level we should be at.

What level are you expecting of this squad?

From this squad? Considering we have better players than the season we finished 5th I'd say realistically top 9. Competing with Everton behind the top 6-7 clubs.

And you think we are nowhere near that level (finishing 7-9th) this season? I don't think we're that far off really, and the thing that would stop us getting there is not Pardew imho, but similar to last year, injuries hitting the first team.

Absolute travesty we couldn't get a few more players in over the summer.

Football is a fickle game. Beating Fulham at home with a last minute goal and then another late winner to Villa shows improvement it doesn't show much more than that at the moment. I don't see us as a top 8 team at the moment. I think we still lack a bit and rely to much on Ben Arfa. Maybe I'm just hard to please, but people are getting way ahead of themselves.

With that said we definitely have a squad capable of a top 8 finish.

Form since we got the new players in January:

WWLWLWLLWLDLDWL  LDWW

8 wins, 3 draws, 8 defeats

These players have shown top 8 form for the eqivalent of half a season now. With Remy, a fit Ben Arfa and Coloccini, and the likes of Debuchy, Mbiwa, and Anita having improved a great deal since January, we should look a decent side, if a little light up front.

Got a lot more right today than he has before but still, Aston Villa looked absolutely horrible and without Bentekes hold up play they'd be nowhere. Cisse didn't really help Pardew though.

Oh absolutely, I'm not taking anything away from the team, I'm just saying it's a step in the right direction but we're nowhere near the level we should be at.

From this squad? Considering we have better players than the season we finished 5th I'd say realistically top 9. Competing with Everton behind the top 6-7 clubs.

And you think we are nowhere near that level (finishing 7-9th) this season? I don't think we're that far off really, and the thing that would stop us getting there is not Pardew imho, but similar to last year, injuries hitting the first team.

Football is a fickle game. Beating Fulham at home with a last minute goal and then another late winner to Villa shows improvement it doesn't show much more than that at the moment. I don't see us as a top 8 team at the moment. I think we still lack a bit and rely to much on Ben Arfa. Maybe I'm just hard to please, but people are getting way ahead of themselves.

WWLWLWLLWLDLDWL  LDWW

These players have shown top 8 form for the eqivalent of half a season now. With Remy, a fit Ben Arfa and Coloccini, and the likes of Debuchy, Mbiwa, and Anita having improved a great deal since January, we should look a decent side, if a little light up front.

Is 8 wins and 8 defeats really top 8 form?

Guest bimpy474

WWLWLWLLWLDLDWL  LDWW

Tbf only the last two games and Chelsea last season have been positive performances, but the trend does seem to be a better one.

Guest bimpy474

WWLWLWLLWLDLDWL  LDWW

19 wins and 19 defeats in a season gets you 57 points. Top 8 points like.

can't really fault the manager today,  got the team selection right,  had us set up spot on tactically and got his subs right,  despite the abuse Tiote gets on here, thought the timing of his subbing on was spot on and while Anita had a good game, Tiote came on and made us look even for solid. 

HBA was excellent, Remy promising, debuchy looked like an international fullback and the two centre halves were good.

Do any of the window lickers think Taylor, Tiote and Jonas would have been dropped?  I doubt very much that we'd won today with those players in the team.

M'biwa and Anita both made a difference to our play today and I don't think either would have started if Taylor hadn't been sent off against Man City or if Tiote and Jonas weren't both injured earlier in the season.

I think Pardew will stick with the starting 11 from today but I can also see him going back to what he likes if things don't go well every game.

:lol: So angry and defensive. Taylor and Tiote weren't starting, thus have been dropped. Don't see the need to criticise the manager on 'ifs'.

We've started the season reasonably well all things considered. Obviously anyone mildly optimistic is a window licker though.

Mick is pretty much spot on there. Pardew's hand has been forced and it's worked, but I really don't think he's suddenly developed some tactical algorithm after 2 years that blows everything else he's produced out of the water. He'll probably ride the crest of this wave of form and revert to type. Why do I say that? Because it's what he's done before.

WWLWLWLLWLDLDWL  LDWW

27 points from 19 games? 54 points comfortably gets you 8th place the last 3 seasons.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Mick is pretty much spot on there. Pardew's hand has been forced and it's worked, but I really don't think he's suddenly developed some tactical algorithm after 2 years that blows everything else he's produced out of the water. He'll probably ride the crest of this wave of form and revert to type. Why do I say that? Because it's what he's done before.

There's been relevant mitigating factors people are happy to ignore so it's a pointless debate.

Some people are almost upset he might be on his way to proving them wrong. Bitter-sweet for the boo boys...

Guest bimpy474

There's been relevant mitigating factors people are happy to ignore so it's a pointless debate.

Some people are almost upset he might be on his way to proving them wrong. Bitter-sweet for the boo boys...

Not me, as much as i think he's a poor manager us winning and playing well while doing it comes above gloating.