Alan Pardew

Mike

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/20/alan-pardew-newcastle-united

Alan Pardew: Time for knee-jerk reactions at Newcastle United to stop

• Pardew unhappy with over-reaction to lack of summer signings

• Newcastle face Hull City with newly acquired optimism

Louise Taylor

The Guardian, Friday 20 September 2013 22.00 BST

Alan Pardew has denounced what he regards as increasingly knee-jerk reactions by media and fans. The Newcastle United manager believes the time has come to put a check on the growing hysteria surrounding the game.

"For us Premier League managers, it's about trying to keep everybody's feet firmly planted on the ground in reality, because some of the stuff that's said is just complete fantasy," said Pardew, who was deemed to be destined for the sack after his side lost heavily at Manchester City in their opening game of the season.

Despite behind-the-scenes confusion relating to Joe Kinnear's appointment as director of football and the club's failure to make a permanent summer signing, Pardew retains a strong team which has collected seven points from its last three games.

They are at home to Hull on Saturday with relgation talk replaced by optimism that Newcastle might qualify for Europe. "I never actually thought we were in as bad a situation as some people were suggesting in the media and even our own fans," said Pardew, who did acquire the France striker, Loïc Rémy, on loan from QPR.

"I thought there was an over-reaction to what happened in the summer but there always is with Newcastle. Whether it's good or bad, we get an over-reaction, and that's the way the media is with the Premier League as well.

"You have only got to look at Chelsea's defeat the other night and suddenly the writing is on the wall for José Mourinho and that team. It's rubbish, really.

"You do get setbacks and you just have to keep a level head. We have kept a level head all the way through. We think we've got a good side. I feel my side has more power to it, more offensive options this season."

As he worked on eradicating last season's flaws on the training ground throughout July and August there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth outside the gates. "The extremes of the media are ridiculous at the moment," said Pardew. "I really feel that. "I was watching the BBC 10pm news on Wednesday night and Chelsea is a major story – they'd lost a game in Europe in a group from which it looks to me they'll qualify comfortably from."These real swings between 'we're going to have a great season' and 'we're going to go down' are even more highlighted at this club for whatever reason. Therefore it's important for me to keep the team on the ground and for the team to keep their feet on the ground.

"You can't ignore the media, it's constantly in your face, whenever you turn on the TV. It's Jamie Redknapp talking about the 'crisis' at Arsenal but then suddenly they've won four on the spin and 10 away on the trot. I don't know what the crisis is? Before that Champions league qualifying game they had at the start of the season, Arsene Wenger's job was 'on the line'. Come on, it's ridiculous."

Cheeky cunt.

Cutting through the bullshit and just looking at his quotes...

"For us Premier League managers, it's about trying to keep everybody's feet firmly planted on the ground in reality, because some of the stuff that's said is just complete fantasy,"

"I never actually thought we were in as bad a situation as some people were suggesting in the media and even our own fans,"

"I thought there was an over-reaction to what happened in the summer but there always is with Newcastle. Whether it's good or bad, we get an over-reaction, and that's the way the media is with the Premier League as well. "You have only got to look at Chelsea's defeat the other night and suddenly the writing is on the wall for José Mourinho and that team. It's rubbish, really.

"You do get setbacks and you just have to keep a level head. We have kept a level head all the way through. We think we've got a good side. I feel my side has more power to it, more offensive options this season."

"The extremes of the media are ridiculous at the moment," said Pardew. "I really feel that. "I was watching the BBC 10pm news on Wednesday night and Chelsea is a major story – they'd lost a game in Europe in a group from which it looks to me they'll qualify comfortably from."These real swings between 'we're going to have a great season' and 'we're going to go down' are even more highlighted at this club for whatever reason. Therefore it's important for me to keep the team on the ground and for the team to keep their feet on the ground.

"You can't ignore the media, it's constantly in your face, whenever you turn on the TV. It's Jamie Redknapp talking about the 'crisis' at Arsenal but then suddenly they've won four on the spin and 10 away on the trot. I don't know what the crisis is? Before that Champions league qualifying game they had at the start of the season, Arsene Wenger's job was 'on the line'. Come on, it's ridiculous."

Not too sure what he's said wrong there tbh, other than potentially the "over-reaction to what happened in the summer". The rest is spot on.

Cutting through the bullshit and just looking at his quotes...

"For us Premier League managers, it's about trying to keep everybody's feet firmly planted on the ground in reality, because some of the stuff that's said is just complete fantasy,"

"I never actually thought we were in as bad a situation as some people were suggesting in the media and even our own fans,"

"I thought there was an over-reaction to what happened in the summer but there always is with Newcastle. Whether it's good or bad, we get an over-reaction, and that's the way the media is with the Premier League as well. "You have only got to look at Chelsea's defeat the other night and suddenly the writing is on the wall for José Mourinho and that team. It's rubbish, really.

"The extremes of the media are ridiculous at the moment," said Pardew. "I really feel that. "I was watching the BBC 10pm news on Wednesday night and Chelsea is a major story – they'd lost a game in Europe in a group from which it looks to me they'll qualify comfortably from."These real swings between 'we're going to have a great season' and 'we're going to go down' are even more highlighted at this club for whatever reason. Therefore it's important for me to keep the team on the ground and for the team to keep their feet on the ground.

Not too sure what he's said wrong there tbh, other than potentially the "over-reaction to what happened in the summer". The rest is spot on.

Had to re-read it a few times, I mainly agree. The "Even our own fans" bit was needless as well but most of the annoying things in that article were Taylor's comments between the quotes.

If he moans about the size of the squad this season though I hope a journo has the balls to bring some of this stuff back up again mind.

Sounds confident. Should have no problem qualifying for the Europa League and having a very strong crack at at least one of the domestic cups in that case, as well as genuine revenge over the mackems (at least a 3 goal win).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2427092/Alan-Pardew-insists-Newcastle-qualify-Europe-season.html

'There's just a different feel on the training ground and it looks like a better blend and a better spirit amongst the group than last year but you can never tell because we've had good starts the last two seasons and we could start really well here but it's a long, long season and injuries and suspensions are important. They're going to affect us like all Premier League teams.

'These real swathes of "we're going to have a great season", "we're going to go down" is even more highlighted in this club for whatever reason.

'Therefore it's important for me to keep the team on the ground, for the team to keep their feet on the ground about where we're at but to also embroider their dreams.'

Fuck's he on about? :lol:

Better blend: same players.

Better spirit: Cisse/Cabaye disputes.

Good start: but could end up like last year.

Injuries and suspensions: I thought we were ignoring those?

'We're going to have a great season': embroidered dreams or too extreme?

Was he pissed? :lol:

As I said, he just needs to pipe down a bit. I can't believe he's got the brass neck for some of this shit. He's got it all to prove after last season and with a virtually unchanged squad that he lies says he's happy with.

I don't rate Pardew at all, but it makes a big difference having a pre-season with all those new bodies we got in January to help blend the squad together. It must have been a right job with 5 first teamers through the door in January to keep the squad balance and morale. Not withstanding they were signed 6 months too late, I do think even with the same team, without Europe we're going to be in a hell of a lot better shape than last season.

I don't rate Pardew at all, but it makes a big difference having a pre-season with all those new bodies we got in January to help blend the squad together. It must have been a right job with 5 first teamers through the door in January to keep the squad balance and morale. Not withstanding they were signed 6 months too late, I do think even with the same team, without Europe we're going to be in a hell of a lot better shape than last season.

really?  Played like absolutely shite vs City.  Turd again vs Hammers,  woeful again vs Fulham until the last half hour.  Play well vs Villa.

That's one and half good games.  Way too soon to say a full pre-season of a settled squad proves anything.  Better off than last season you say.  Can it get much worse?

As I said, he just needs to pipe down a bit. I can't believe he's got the brass neck for some of this shit. He's got it all to prove after last season and with a virtually unchanged squad that he lies says he's happy with.

In the media though, aside from the flimsy locals, he's under no pressure whatsoever. His excuses last season have been bought here, there and everywhere.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2427092/Alan-Pardew-insists-Newcastle-qualify-Europe-season.html

'There's just a different feel on the training ground and it looks like a better blend and a better spirit amongst the group than last year but you can never tell because we've had good starts the last two seasons and we could start really well here but it's a long, long season and injuries and suspensions are important. They're going to affect us like all Premier League teams.

'These real swathes of "we're going to have a great season", "we're going to go down" is even more highlighted in this club for whatever reason.

'Therefore it's important for me to keep the team on the ground, for the team to keep their feet on the ground about where we're at but to also embroider their dreams.'

Fuck's he on about? :lol:

Better blend: same players.

Better spirit: Cisse/Cabaye disputes.

Good start: but could end up like last year.

Injuries and suspensions: I thought we were ignoring those?

'We're going to have a great season': embroidered dreams or too extreme?

Was he pissed? :lol:

Can't see anything wrong with those comments. Pretty standard manager fare.

Why can't the blend/spirit be better than last year? Signs so far indicate this may be true. Early days obvs.

really?  Played like absolutely shite vs City.  Turd again vs Hammers,  woeful again vs Fulham until the last half hour.  Play well vs Villa.

That's one and half good games.  Way too soon to say a full pre-season of a settled squad proves anything.  Better off than last season you say.  Can it get much worse?

What you're describing there is a team starting out without any confidence then slowly gaining it. It's not like Pardew suddenly decided to flip a switch against Fulham and make everyone play well. The team needs to feel like they can play and win together and that comes through experience. We're getting there.

Guest bimpy474

When he talks about over reactions, i think he's done just the same from the Villa performance. I would wait just a little longer Alan before getting a bit smug like.

He basically has no right to accuse anyone of overreacting, it was a completely inexplicable under-reaction that led to him keeping his job summer just gone.

Sorry, can we just put forum divides and point scoring aside for a second so I can ask:

Do people think he's quite flippantly insulting and offensive towards the fans at the minute?  I feel like I've heard 3 or 4 things from him recently that promote the idea of us being idiots in a lazy Southern media way that is designed to reflect better on him.