Alan Pardew

Mike

I seem to remember us doing well under Sir Bobby following our Champions League matches, which of course was against a far higher standard of opposition.

I'd have put us in the Spurs/Liverpool bracket back then. Our european finish wasn't an anomaly and we spent what would be expected of a champions league club.

Well nobody knows, it's kind of a pointless discussion. There's no way we can actually know how we would have done if we weren't in Europe. And even then, we wouldn't know whether that was a general proof or just a one-off incident combining with other factors. Football doesn't really present large enough samples of anything to be statistically significant.

You're assuming these points dropped have occurred because of the European campaign. More likely these teams dropped back to their normal levels after having a good campaign the year before, or they had changes in managers and players. I would argue that those other factors far outweigh any potential negative effect of a European campaign. If you had a big enough sample size and did a regression, you wouldn't find anything that is statistically significant, I'm certain.

Well this is just pure assumption though. Common sense seems to suggest that flying round the world, having less time to prepare, and playing extra games would make for a tougher season.

It's not an excuse for how badly we did, but I don't understand why people spend so long denying that the effect exists.

Our best players didn't play, though. Flying all around the world? You mean a three hour flight instead of a three hour bus ride?

Having less time to prepare? Same applies to teams that have domestic cup runs.

A Premier league team not knocked out of the domestic cups will have played 4 cup games by christmas. All the other clubs in the league will have played at least one as well though, most will have played two or three.  So you're looking at an extra 1 to 3 games over your opponents in the league.

The 3 clubs in the Europa will play 8 extra games over the other 13 clubs not involved in Europe before christmas.

If it's accepted that the league cup will have an impact, then it follows that the European competitions will have a worse impact.

Guest Roger Kint

Pretty sad that the football section is at its quietest after we've won, like. Strange times. :undecided:

Seems so :sad:

Theres some disappointed people around ;)

Guest firetotheworks

Pretty sad that the football section is at its quietest after we've won, like. Strange times. :undecided:

Maybe people have the same points to make but are trying not to moan in the face of victory? That's my outlook on it. Everything that I think about Pardew, Ashley, our set up and the way that we play still stands. That doesn't mean that I want to spend my week bleating on about the same things when we've won. Otherwise what little joy would there be?

Maybe people have the same points to make but are trying not to moan in the face of victory? That's my outlook on it. Everything that I think about Pardew, Ashley, our set up and the way that we play still stands. That doesn't mean that I want to spend my week bleating on about the same things when we've won. Otherwise what little joy would there be?

Yeah suppose that's true, easier to get the points over on the back of loss rather than a victory.

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah suppose that's true, easier to get the points over on the back of loss rather than a victory.

No.

Easier to stay sane by enjoying the victory. All of the points are still there and are easy to make, even using that match as an example.

I just don't see the point in not taking the one bit of joy that NUFC affords us.

Guest icemanblue

This is the Pardew thread. It's a bit like how Cisse still gets criticised when we win.

Is it busier elsewhere? This is my homepage, and I don't tend to stray far.

We are a bit Jekyll and Hyde at the moment and Pardew's right when he's scratching his head wondering if we are a really good side or a bad side, personally i think we're a really good side. Think the players deserve huge credit, doing us proud.

Guest firetotheworks

We are a bit Jekyll and Hyde at the moment and Pardew's right accountable when he's scratching his head wondering if we are a really good side or a bad side, personally i think we're a really good side. Think the players deserve huge credit, doing us proud.

Quiet you say? Ok then, how come this idiot can't get his team to perform well for 90 minutes. It's always one good half, one bad, almost every single game.

I don't know, we came out second half looking for a 3rd, then the scored and the team seemed to go into defensive mode, Pardew was trying to urge them forward but we were gettign deeper and deeper. Like you say it's most games though, we seem to just pick one half in which we play fooball in. Not sure why this is.

We are a bit Jekyll and Hyde at the moment and Pardew's right accountable when he's scratching his head wondering if we are a really good side or a bad side, personally i think we're a really good side. Think the players deserve huge credit, doing us proud.

I'd agree with that, fair play. Still doesn't stop me thinking we will do well with him in charge though, still fancy us to have a good season.

we are basically where I started with Newcastle in the early to mid 70's, a team that could be as good one week as they could be bad the week after and disenchantment with the board. could even put ben arfa in the jimmy smith role as inconsistent sometime genius.

We are a bit Jekyll and Hyde at the moment and Pardew's right when he's scratching his head wondering if we are a really good side or a bad side, personally i think we're a really good side. Think the players deserve huge credit, doing us proud.

Should have no bother turning over one or two of Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs in the coming weeks then?

He's scratching his head because he's fucking clueless.

Should have no bother turning over one or two of Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs in the coming weeks then?

Well i wouldn't say it's as easy as 'no bother', we've got maybe 1 or 2 players that are capable of winning any match for you, the teams you've mentioned have got 3/4 or more of them kind. I don't see any reason why we can't pick up a good result amongst the bunch though, certainly don't fear them. Tough fixtures ahead but i'm not putting an L beside them already, we are capable of surprising a few people with the standard of players we have, the Cardiff result would have given them a huge boost in confidence.