Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest bimpy474

And graphs/stats distort things. You're own eyes and judgement tell you all you need to know. And while some peoples judgement maybe skewed, most see the real reason we play shit football.

PS : Only a fool would deny we have been better, and are trying to play better stuff tbf.

NUFC.Coms Article / Comments

In the absence of any club news on an international weekend, Alan Pardew handily popped up on Sky Sports to express opinions on a range of subjects:

"Mike (Ashley) is a strong character who has been a success in his whole business life and is a genius in that world - but when you come to football the logic doesn't quite fit. He loves football but he sometimes can't understand how it works and it confuses and upsets him, and when he is upset he does things that aren't brilliant for the football club.

"That's just Mike and he has funded the club, made sure we have no debt - other than to himself - and supported me, but unless we get a billionaire from deepest Russia we are probably not going to be able to compete with the likes of Man United, Man City and Chelsea, which is what our fans want.

"We were after flair players (in the last transfer window) and when you get into that market as a Premier League club, you have your league and divisions like the Bundesliga chasing them because they are a rare commodity, so it is difficult to get them over the line.

"Loic Remy has been a great signing and given us what we didn't have last year which is a striker who can play, build the game and finish, while he has a nice manner, is comfortable with our group and has the confidence to play for Newcastle, too.

"But Mike has put in about £200m of his own money and I don't think he wants to put any more of his own money in.

"Sometimes it was finance that was getting in the way (of making summer signings). It was extra difficult for us because we also had the Yohan Cabaye situation.

"If Yohan had gone we might have had more to play with and got a striker, so we waited and it was very difficult, a bit like a poker game in a way.

Fortunately Yohan stayed and I'm glad  because he is an important player and such a talent in terms of his technique and manoeuvring of the ball, and is good a midfielder as I've worked with.

"We did have some words when he tried to force a move, though, and he has some making up to do.

"Derek Llambias was in charge of the transfers at the club and I worked well with him, but Mike Ashley decided he wanted a change in that department and wanted someone in place who knew football.

"He whispered that someone might be coming in without telling me the name and then I later found out that it was Joe (Kinnear), someone I didn't know at all.

"I have got to know him a bit now in his role as Mike's confidante where he gets asked: 'What does the manager need and what can I do for him?' and so far he has been very supportive. I have told him what I want and his job is to try and get it out of Mike.

"He is not involved at the training ground or in tactics and hasn't even offered me his opinion on those things, so I am comfortable with that and hope he can get the message to Mike on the one or two issues I think we need to address, one of which is more British players as we are starting to get filled up with too many foreign players.

"All Premier League managers are under real pressure from their board, from their owners, to get a strong Premier League finish because the finance and prestige for Premier League teams is such that that is the priority.

"So forget about everything else, that is the priority for the owners. But for managers, of course, it isn’t. Our ambition is to win trophies, so every competition we enter we try and win.

"When we were in the Europa League put some really strong teams, we got to the quarter-final and it was touch and go against Benfica, who nearly won it. We prioritised that.

"When it came round to the (domestic) cups we had awful teams to put out. As manager, I have to admit that. It wasn’t good enough for Newcastle.

"It wasn’t that I didn’t have them (players) in the background, they weren’t fit. We had a really bad run.

"This year, we want to win a cup, we want to win a trophy. Imagine Newcastle winning a trophy, no one would love that more than myself and for the fans. Our fans have been starved since '68.

"If we can reach the heights that we’ve done this year in certain games and certain periods in games, there’s no reason why we can’t win a trophy.

"We’ve got the resources this year to have a go in the cups. We’ve got a really good first XI and the XI underneath it is not far away, and that bodes well when you have to put those guys in to keep the team at the same level.

"So I feel a little bit more confident this year, certainly than I did last year, and we’re not far away, in my opinion, from the team that finished fifth in terms of quality.”

Picking the bones out of that - and looking beyond the headline-grabbing but meaningless guff about the owner - the over-riding feeling is one of a club still cobbling together policy on the hoof; coalition FC perhaps.

The too many foreigners line is simply senseless, almost indicating that the last dozen or so signings appeared in the back of container lorries with false paperwork. The previously fertile ground of France now appears to be over-cultivated and the bargains lie elsewhere.

It remains to be seen though whether the desire to curb the amount of imports manifests itself in signings from the Football League (an area the club currently heavily scouts) or further graduates from the development side following on from Paul Dummett and Sammy Ameobi.

Given the constraints on finance though, the only way of bringing the cream of the lower leagues to SJP will be after higher earners have left for larger fees than are then committed. That's the other bit of JFK's remit and something publicly stated previously by Llambias.

And as to whether Pardew has the guts and gumption to field a full-strength side capable of beating Manchester City in the League Cup, our next two games may provide the answer to that particular question.

Last season's exit to Benfica with stronger teams than he was advised to field placed him under massive pressure to achieve results against at home to Liverpool and the mackems - both of which ended in spectacular defeats.

Those two sides now lie in wait before that City game, with negative outcomes making the visit of Chelsea four days later a potentially decisive encounter - relegating the League Cup to the importance of those embarrassing FA Cup ties when an exit was mission accomplished.

While Pardew may summon up more romantic notions of silverware and ribbons than than club directors did at a recent fan forum, the reality remains that Premier League  preservation - and ultimately self-preservation - will ultimately kick in. Unless he really wants to be paid off.   

Guest bimpy474

There's a little bit in there about us having enough players but they weren't fit. That's his job, what he is essentially saying is. He couldn't cope with Europa games and couldn't keep his reserve players fit enough to come into the first team when needed.

Either he's so useless that's true, or he's an utter moron for thinking that's a good excuse to use. He really would make things easier by just not talking.

Ashley clearly doesn't think he's doing a good job and that's why he's wrongly brought a dinosaur back in to the club at the cost of his mate Llambias.

Because he clearly doesn't think Pardew is doing a good job... he sacks someone else?

And graphs/stats distort things. You're own eyes and judgement tell you all you need to know. And while some peoples judgement maybe skewed, most see the real reason we play s*** football.

PS : Only a fool would deny we have been better, and are trying to play better stuff tbf.

Personally i don't think the football has been shit at all this season....( i know you qualified that point with the PS but just thought i'd mention my feelings on the subject) inconsistent and not being able to defend for sure but on the whole i can't really complain that much about the way we have played going forward.

Well since Remy has been in the team anyway.

Guest bimpy474

And graphs/stats distort things. You're own eyes and judgement tell you all you need to know. And while some peoples judgement maybe skewed, most see the real reason we play s*** football.

Personally i don't think the football has been shit at all this season....( i know you qualified that point with the PS but just thought i'd mention my feelings on the subject) inconsistent and not being able to defend for sure but on the whole i can't really complain that much about the way we have played going forward.

That's what i meant really, we have tried to play and are definitely not hoofing it. And as Pardew hater/whateverthefucktheycallit, only a fool would deny it.

Our defending though is just as dreadful as last season.

Personally i don't think the football has been s*** at all this season....( i know you qualified that point with the PS but just thought i'd mention my feelings on the subject) inconsistent and not being able to defend for sure but on the whole i can't really complain that much about the way we have played going forward.

You either need to go to Specsavers or you didn't watch us against Man City, West Ham, Hull after the first 15 or 20 minutes or the first half against Everton.

Guest bimpy474

Personally i don't think the football has been s*** at all this season....( i know you qualified that point with the PS but just thought i'd mention my feelings on the subject) inconsistent and not being able to defend for sure but on the whole i can't really complain that much about the way we have played going forward.

You either need to go to Specsavers or you didn't watch us against Man City, West Ham, Hull after the first 15 or 20 minutes or the first half against Everton.

Just about the only thing Pardew has said of late i'll take seriously is when he said, we have no consistancy and need to play better for a whole game. First half against Cardiff, Last 20 minutes against Fulham as examples.

But the Man City, West Ham, Hull (2nd half), and first half against Everton were as bad as last season. Just without the endless hoofs, wahey a plus point.

There have been two games, the wins against Fulham and Villa which we played good football and following which I felt renewed hope. We won against Cardiff as well, but we were in danger of losing control of that game in the second half which marred my view of the game as a whole. Other than that I wouldn't say the football looks any better than last year, or at least it's marginal.

I'd say the same to you tbh.... i said since Remy has been in the team which immediately disqualifies Man City and West Ham which i will admit was turgid....

Hull wasn't bad as far as football is in possession and going forward goes..... it was the defending which was shit and that has been the case all season as i said.

As for Everton yes it was crap in the first half but again i said on the whole it hasn't been shit and it hasn't since Remy has been in the team.

The football hasn't been bad at all, unfortunately the defending has the challenge going forward is to balance the two out.

Just about the only thing Pardew has said of late i'll take seriously is when he said, we have no consistancy and need to play better for a whole game. First half against Cardiff, Last 20 minutes against Fulham as examples.

But the Man City, West Ham, Hull (2nd half), and first half against Everton were as bad as last season. Just without the endless hoofs, wahey a plus point.

Our season so far has been little different to last other than less kick and rush.  We've played the hoofball but a lot less and that should be recognised, other than that, it's more of the same.

I'd say the same to you tbh.... i said since Remy has been in the team which immediately disqualifies Man City and West Ham which i will admit was turgid....

Hull wasn't bad as far as football is in possession and going forward goes..... it was the defending which was s*** and that has been the case all season as i said.

As for Everton yes it was crap in the first half but again i said on the whole it hasn't been s*** and it hasn't since Remy has been in the team.

The football hasn't been bad at all, unfortunately the defending has the challenge going forward is to balance the two out.

Have I got this right?

The football has been good when Remy has been in the team apart from when it hasn't been good.

There's a little bit in there about us having enough players but they weren't fit. That's his job, what he is essentially saying is. He couldn't cope with Europa games and couldn't keep his reserve players fit enough to come into the first team when needed.

Either he's so useless that's true, or he's an utter moron for thinking that's a good excuse to use. He really would make things easier by just not talking.

Not sure he was saying that to be fair.

Having just replayed that bit, to me it came across as him saying we sent out awful teams to play when we were knocked out of the domestic cups, but that it wasn't a policy. We would have played more first teamers, but they (not the reserve lads) were just not fit enough/carrying knocks.

Guest bimpy474

Our season so far has been little different to last other than less kick and rush.  We've played the hoofball but a lot less and that should be recognised, other than that, it's more of the same.

I'd agree, we have a lack of movement still which imo is the most noticable, and when we do move it's still slow and obvious. Gouffran and Remy are about the only ones who move about with any real quality.

It's better than last season, but seeing as last season was so bad it's not that hard to be.

Having just replayed that bit, to me it came across as him saying we sent out awful teams to play when we were knocked out of the domestic cups, but that it wasn't a policy. We would have played more first teamers, but they (not the reserve lads) were just not fit enough/carrying knocks.

Pardew is talking shit either way, we had enough to beat Brighton and couldn't get a draw.

Guest bimpy474

Pardew is talking shit either way, we had enough to beat Brighton and couldn't get a draw.

That's the thing. We lost games tactically because of the way Pardew got us to play, not because of fitness etc. Just rank bad football management.

Apparently he likes the way Poyet sets his teams up. Maybe he should ring him and ask for a few tips since he doesn't appear to have a clue how to set ours up.

I think most of the interview that .com have transcribed is a back-tracking and contradictory pile of excuses, whilst being fairly patronising at the same time. For a start, for him to say we're after a trophy - after the revelations at the fans forum - you just know it's a load of cobblers, as if the previous performances in the FA Cup weren't enough to tell you that, regardless of how he'd like to dress them up.

To a neutral he probably comes across well; he speaks with intelligence and is quite smooth; some might even say his soundbites are 'thoughtful'. They're thoughtful in the same way a politician's quotes are thoughtful - in that they're pre-meditated and skirt around the edges with false truths. But when you know the situation as well as we do, you literally can't take anything he says seriously. Whether that's because he's got his hands tied or because he's a bit slimy (both, imo), it doesn't make a difference - they mean nothing.

Whatever causes his quotes, or whether there's any point in taking them seriously, they still irritate. I'm sick of being spun a story and being told what I want/think.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I can't believe Pardew said Newcastle fans expect us to be competing with man City and Man u. We really don't and this just panders to the London media bias against us. The expectations of the NUFC supporters is that we punch our weight not that we should punch above it. Pardew has been the manager here long enough,  this proves he has no understanding of the Geordie public at all.

I can't believe Pardew said Newcastle fans expect us to be competing with man City and Man u. We really don't and this just panders to the London media bias against us. The expectations of the NUFC supporters is that we punch our weight not that we should punch above it. Pardew has been the manager here long enough,  this proves he has no understanding of the Geordie public at all.

It's not even our expectation though is it?  It's hope, expectations are a thing of the past.

Where are you getting this from?

He didn't say Newcastle fans expect us to be competing with man City and Man u.

He said we hope to compete with them (I do, if you don't, fair enough), but unless Ashley sticks his hand in his pocket or sells, we can't compete at the moment.

He's right.

He wasn't having a go at anyone really, bar Ashley or possibly Lamberts waistline.

The closest he came was saying the passion and the highs and lows can make things tougher, but he didn't say he wanted to change this, rather to learn to embrace it. A bit wanky, but fair enough.

Pardew has put out so many shit performances on the pitch, it's mad that a benign chat on a sofa is worthy of such dissection after being stuck in quotes. Fuck International breaks. :lol:

I think most of the interview that .com have transcribed is a back-tracking and contradictory pile of excuses, whilst being fairly patronising at the same time. For a start, for him to say we're after a trophy - after the revelations at the fans forum - you just know it's a load of cobblers, as if the previous performances in the FA Cup weren't enough to tell you that, regardless of how he'd like to dress them up.

To a neutral he probably comes across well; he speaks with intelligence and is quite smooth; some might even say his soundbites are 'thoughtful'. They're thoughtful in the same way a politician's quotes are thoughtful - in that they're pre-meditated and skirt around the edges with false truths. But when you know the situation as well as we do, you literally can't take anything he says seriously. Whether that's because he's got his hands tied or because he's a bit slimy (both, imo), it doesn't make a difference - they mean nothing.

Whatever causes his quotes, or whether there's any point in taking them seriously, they still irritate. I'm sick of being spun a story and being told what I want/think.

:thup: