Alan Pardew

Mike

Our squads paper thin but i think we have, on paper at least, the best starting XI we've had in a decade. It's just a shame we don't get the best out of them.

I wouldn't say our 12th to say, 18th players are particularly worse in comparison to the other squads beneath the "top 6".

Possibly not. We are regularly exposed though and the club refuse to learn from it. The CB situation hasn't changed in what, three transfer windows?

Keep reading that we're without our first 2 CB's.... but Mbiwa was the most expensive starter we had today.

Our squads paper thin but i think we have, on paper at least, the best starting XI we've had in a decade. It's just a shame we don't get the best out of them.

I wouldn't say our 12th to say, 18th players are particularly worse in comparison to the other squads beneath the "top 6".

Possibly not. We are regularly exposed though and the club refuse to learn from it. The CB situation hasn't changed in what, three transfer windows?

Keep reading that we're without our first 2 CB's.... but Mbiwa was the most expensive starter we had today.

Worth every penny today.

As most have said, yesterday's performance is an illustration of what many of us know - there are some quality players in our squad and, with a better manager, we would have a good chance of being top 6 challengers. The problems are that 1) There is no way Ashley would recruit a top manager and no way one would join us under Ashley's terms of employment although Di Matteo is reputedly interested.

2) We lack depth of quality - and numbers - in the squad which would allow a realistic challenge for honours because even a top manager would struggle when we got crucial injuries and Ashley wouldn't spend the necessary money required in order to strengthen the squad sufficiently.

Having said all that, I still think that a decent manager could get us into top 8 and, given a run of luck with injuries, challenging for 5th place - we are ridiculously inconsistent and shouldn't be with the quality of players available when most are fit.

We couldn't even replace James fucking Perch, man. What chance of we got at replacing someone who is undeniably a decent defender when he's on the pitch? I'd love to think he could forge a long-term partnership with MYM but his body will probably prevent him from doing so.

The journalists on Sunday Supplement had a bit of a go at him this morning.

Saying how could he take credit for the freekick that led to the goal because it was obvious that Cabaye was going to whip it in :lol:

And that he shouldn't be saying that the win was for Mike Ashley. Saying he's losing touch with the fans when he says shit like that

He said he told Cabaye where to put it but 'can't claim the assist'.

I don't see what's wrong with that.

Yeah, it's just being blown out of proportion. Calls Cabaye over to explain what type of free kick he is looking for, cabaye executed it to perfection and we scored. Cabaye and Goff deserve the praise and Pardew admitted that himself.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Nothing story.

Saying the win was for Mike I'm not so sure about - he could be taking the piss because Ashley is a Chelsea fan but he's probably trying to win favours after saying he doesn't know what he's doing to the press.

Nothing story.

Saying the win was for Mike I'm not so sure about - he could be taking the p*ss because Ashley is a Chelsea fan but he's probably trying to win favours after saying he doesn't know what he's doing to the press.

You'll defend him till the end of time won't you?

Nothing story.

Saying the win was for Mike I'm not so sure about - he could be taking the p*ss because Ashley is a Chelsea fan but he's probably trying to win favours after saying he doesn't know what he's doing to the press.

:lol: Jesus Christ.

Same old same old, criticises people for having a go at Pardew for everything in one sentence, and in the next can't even bring himself to condemn absolutely scandalous comments from him. I don't even think he's aware that he's doing it.

Guest neesy111

Nothing story.

Saying the win was for Mike I'm not so sure about - he could be taking the piss because Ashley is a Chelsea fan but he's probably trying to win favours after saying he doesn't know what he's doing to the press.

:lol: :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

Tell you what lads I had a cracking day at the match.

If you want to get wound up about a post match interview that's up to you. :thup:

He's simply an arse licking bastard!

Watching the actual interview, it's clear that he meant it sincerely. Whether you agree with him or not, at least he had the guts to nail his colours to the mast.

Watching the Sunday Supplement, I'd agree with the journo who said that the right response would have been for the club to get the local editors round the table and find a way forward. The local media are now in the unfortunate position where it would suit their stance if the team were doing badly. The club are in the unfortunate position of having a hostile local press. No-one's going to win.

As most have said, yesterday's performance is an illustration of what many of us know - there are some quality players in our squad and, with a better manager, we would have a good chance of being top 6 challengers. The problems are that 1) There is no way Ashley would recruit a top manager and no way one would join us under Ashley's terms of employment although Di Matteo is reputedly interested.

2) We lack depth of quality - and numbers - in the squad which would allow a realistic challenge for honours because even a top manager would struggle when we got crucial injuries and Ashley wouldn't spend the necessary money required in order to strengthen the squad sufficiently.

Having said all that, I still think that a decent manager could get us into top 8 and, given a run of luck with injuries, challenging for 5th place - we are ridiculously inconsistent and shouldn't be with the quality of players available when most are fit.

All of the established top 6 sides have at least one forward who cost £20m+ while  we have spent about that amount on strikers in the entire time Ashley has been here. We do not currently have a competant centre forward at the club and Ameobi started again yesterday. Aside from Remy and Ben Arfa our attacking players look rank average to poor, and at the back the likes of Williamson and Dummett get a game. I cannot believe anyone thinks we would be a top 6 side if it wasn't for the manager.

Tell you what lads I had a cracking day at the match.

If you want to get wound up about a post match interview that's up to you. :thup:

I see where you're coming from, but the Ashley comments were disgusting tbf and no need to say it really. Obviously hasn't took the shine off the performance though, it was fantastic.

I think the side is improving as some of the newer players like Anita, Mapou, Debuchy etc find their feet. But we don't look great technically and we struggle when we try to work the ball in confined spaces.

However, we do have some decent athletes like Remy and Sissoko, and when space opens up a bit, we can be a threat.

All of the top 6 have at least one forward who cost £20m+ while  we have spent about that amount on strikers in the entire time Ashley has been here. We do not currently have a competant centre forward at the club and Ameobi started again yesterday. Aside from Remy and Ben Arfa our attacking players look rank average to poor, and at the back the likes of Williamson and Dummett get a game. I cannot believe anyone thinks we would be a top 6 side if it wasn't for the manager.

A good manager won't make us get into top 6, like you say their squads are still far better than ours. A good manager would ensure a far easier passage to finish 7th/8th however but i even believe Pardew can still get us to 8th just with more of a rollercoaster of a ride. Our standard of players is far greater than those around mid table spots and the players will gather enough momentum during the season to get us to top 8 imo.