Alan Pardew

Mike

This might be construed as quite a simple mindset, but I honestly don't know how you can 'deserve' to win any game in which you don't score. Never mind 'at a canter'. Like I said, Paulinho's (was it?) chance - the only out-and-out clear cut chance - goes in, then it's a draw. Which would've been fair. But they didn't do enough to score one, never mind a hatful, so in no way deserved to win that match.

Krul saved our bacon on a couple of occasions, but after these sorts of games, people go on like the goalkeeper is some benevolent deity that has come down to give us the points - as opposed to being just one crucial member of a team.

Erikson, Soldado, Paulinho x 2, the free kick  were all clear goal chances. I'm not saying they deserved to win, but they were the better team and without a Krul on unbelievable form they probably would've.

They were chances but the one where Krul saved with his feet is the only one that should have resulted in a goal. Soldado wasn't even facing the goal with his header. :lol:

It wasn't even like we restricted spurs to pop shots from 30 yards or anything here, they genuinely should have scored a few goals and it's testament to our goalkeeper that they didn't along with some awful finishing from them. A month ago and sloppiness alone would have probably lead to us conceding, it's a definite improvement on that front.

I just hope we can keep up this level of commitment from the players and grab the upcoming games by the horns, none of this sitting on a goal s**** at home and against the league's cannon fodder.

:thup:

This might be construed as quite a simple mindset, but I honestly don't know how you can 'deserve' to win any game in which you don't score. Never mind 'at a canter'. Like I said, Paulinho's (was it?) chance - the only out-and-out clear cut chance - goes in, then it's a draw. Which would've been fair. But they didn't do enough to score one, never mind a hatful, so in no way deserved to win that match.

Krul saved our bacon on a couple of occasions, but after these sorts of games, people go on like the goalkeeper is an extension of a team; some benevolent deity that has come down to give us points that we don't deserve. As opposed to just being one crucial member of a team.

That's probably the best I've ever seen Krul play.  If he was on standard form I think Spurs would have scored 3 or 4.  Forget about clear-cut chances, there were numerous occasions where the ball would have gone in the net if Krul wasn't having such a stormer.

I don't see how we were jammy or they deserved to win.

We have a top class keeper who made some top class saves. Our defence played well for the most part, we created a few chances and scored one of them and no key decisions wrongly went against either side.

Spurs have top class players who on their day can win them games like Krul/Remy did. It was just our day.

Krul saved our bacon on a couple of occasions, but after these sorts of games, people go on like the goalkeeper is an extension of a team; some benevolent deity that has come down to give us points that we don't deserve. As opposed to just being one crucial member of a team.

That's probably the best I've ever seen Krul play.  If he was on standard form I think Spurs would have scored 3 or 4.  Forget about clear-cut chances, there were numerous occasions where the ball would have gone in the net if Krul wasn't having such a stormer.

:lol: Mannnn, this is exactly what I'm saying! Krul had a stormer - I agree. But in what way is that a detriment to the team and/or suggests we didn't deserve to win (or get a point, at the very least)? I suppose if you want to break it right down, Krul's goalkeeping was better than Spurs' attacking. Thus they didn't deserve to win by a hatful.

Like I say, you're going on as if the keeper isn't a member of the team. He is. He played well. He forced Spurs into not-scoring. Therefore they didn't deserve to win.

Listen, I'm not championing the mentality or the tactics. It's a seriously dangerous game to play and won't work like that every single time. But today it was enough, thanks largely to a terrific performance by one member of the team. My argument is that Spurs didn't deserve to win the game. They didn't and didn't.

I think the point is that you shouldn't be relying on your goalkeeper to make 14 saves, surely?

Krul shouldn't be given the chance to play a stormer.

That's a fair point, and one that I'm not really arguing about. But it doesn't change the fact that, as an 11, we did enough to win the game and, at the very least, be worthy of a point.

I think the point is that you shouldn't be relying on your goalkeeper to make 14 saves, surely?

Aye, but he did have to and he did, which is no less important than a CM or a CF having a blinder...

If me auntie had balls she'd be me uncle.

3 points on the board, WHL is still a tough place to go despite their problems this season in front of goal. Next 2 games will show us where we are really at. Personally, I think Norwich will turn us over.

Lucky b******. Absolutely horrific 2nd half and would've got destroyed if it wasn't for Krul. Still relying on individual bits of class by Remy, goals coming from nowhere else atm.

That said, we started well, so well done P-dew.

edit: and three points :D

3 points on the board, WHL is still a tough place to go despite their problems this season in front of goal. Next 2 games will show us where we are really at. Personally, I think Norwich will turn us over.

I don't think we'll lose against Norwich but West Brom might do us.

It depends if it is your aunty by blood or by means of marriage. If it was by marriage she / he would more than likely be nailing someone else...

:iamatwat:

Aye, but he did have to and he did, which is no less important than a CM or a CF having a blinder...

I never said it was :lol:

I took the "Spurs deserved to win" to be less literal tbh, more as to just prove a point that they played better football than us and created more chances. Which they did.

It doesn't matter as I couldn't give a shit about Spurs, I just don't really like seeing us surrender possession like that and end up ultimately relying on our goalkeeper (who of course just as important as a CM or a CF and all that)

I never said it was :lol:

I took the "Spurs deserved to win" to be less literal tbh, more as to just prove a point that they played better football than us and created more chances. Which they did.

It doesn't matter as I couldn't give a s*** about Spurs, I just don't really like seeing us surrender possession like that and end up ultimately relying on our goalkeeper (who of course just as important as a CM or a CF and all that)

:lol:

Fair dues. I found it frustrating how easily we gave back possession second half like.

You were saying you never thought we'd get close to Swansea.  I don't think it's a ridiculous notion that we might.

aaah yes, i did say that, and you're right to pull me up on it tbf...i don't think we'll finish above them but yeah we might not be a million miles away from them, it's not beyond the realms of possibility

anyway as stated you can have your bet if you factor the points swing for europe against swansea

Aye, ok then.  Tenner says we'll  finish 5 points or more ahead of Swansea @ 4/1.

:Jonny2J:

..and the gap moves to 6 points  :whistle: