2013 Confederations Cup - Brazil 3 - 0 Spain

ponsaelius

Thought Brazil got their tactics spot on. Played a high intensity game from the off while Spain looked a bit jaded, perhaps from the extra time against Italy. Brazil's extra day's rest may also have played a part.

Shouldn't take anything away from Brazil though, they defended excellently and looked very dangerous on the counter, a great all round performance. I still think if both teams meet again at the world cup, I'd expect a very different game. The early goal had a major impact on the rest of the game, Brazil could drop deeper then and Spain played a higher line. The crowd were lifted and the second goal came just as Spain looked like they would equalise.

Still think Spain could go all the way next year despite today's result. I see their odds have stayed pretty much the same, I'm surprised to see them something like 4th favourites. Other teams will study this but Spain will have also learnt some valuable tactical lessons from today.

Iniesta was still simply stunning last night. Actually felt sorry for him. His mate Xavi went into hiding and just left him to carry the team on his own. Think it's time for Spain to inject new blood in to the side with likes of Isco, Thiago, Martinez.

Credit to Brazil, a thoroughly deserved win and surely a big confidence-booster ahead of next summer. I do think however Spain looked a bit knackered from playing 30 minutes extra against Italy and with a day's less rest. Plus, the referee seemed very lenient with a number of Brazil fouls.

So in conclusion, Brazil look like a team now and reports of Spain's demise are premature at best.

Credit to Brazil, a thoroughly deserved win and surely a big confidence-booster ahead of next summer. I do think however Spain looked a bit knackered from playing 30 minutes extra against Italy and with a day's less rest. Plus, the referee seemed very lenient with a number of Brazil fouls.

So in conclusion, Brazil look like a team now and reports of Spain's demise are premature at best.

This about the referee I don't get. You call him lenient with a lot of Brazilian fouls, but you don't even give it a mention that he completely messed it over by not sending Arbeloa or even Ramos (although for me the Ramos challenge was maybe 50/50 since Pique was on the same line even it was a clear goalscoring opportunity). You also forget to mention that the penalty given to Spain was very weak.

Brazil were doing exactly as a I expected, but there's only one player who did anything to deserve a yellow and that was Oscar who first went into a challenge late on Busquets and then Iniesta. Also Spain has looked knackered ever since the Tahiti game if that was the case yesterday. Because Nigeria, Italy and now Brazil all played at an equal or better level than them, I just think Brazil was more effective than the other teams and we could easily have beaten them by 2 or 3 more goals last night.

I don't think this win means anything other than that Spain and be beaten and that Brazil are to be respected. I still see Spain as favourites until next season, but Xavi must be replaced or get back to his best.

Xavi just can't play so many games every 3 days anymore. He hasn't even done it for Barça this season, where he's usually been rested for the midweek CL ties, so he was nowhere to be seen yesterday.

People seem to forget that Brazil had a goal-line clearance and a missed penalty yesterday. For all our suckiness, the result could also have been tighter.

I just wish VdB experimented with personnel a bit more. Martínez should have played far more given the season he's had. Heck, his understudy at Bayern tormented us yesterday.

Xavi just can't play so many game every 3 days anymore. He hasn't even done it for Barça this season, where he's usually been rested for the midweek CL ties, so he was nowhere to be seen yesterday.

Flip seems to forget that you had a goal-line clearance and a missed penalty yesterday. For all our suckiness, the result could also have been tighter.

I just wish VdB experimented with personnel a bit more. Martínez should have played far more given the season he's had. Heck, his understudy at Bayern tormented us yesterday.

Yeah, it was a bit sad seeing Xavi just essentially out of breath. :lol: Needs a good amount of time off before the new season. How many starts would you expect him to make next season? 30? 40?

I will say this, if Xavi gets 40 starts next season, we're winning owt. When fresh, he still can boss games (Milan at home comes to mind), but all the domestic and international ties (Euros last year, ConfeCup this one, WC next year...) are noticeably taking its toll.

Xavi just can't play so many game every 3 days anymore. He hasn't even done it for Barça this season, where he's usually been rested for the midweek CL ties, so he was nowhere to be seen yesterday.

Flip seems to forget that you had a goal-line clearance and a missed penalty yesterday. For all our suckiness, the result could also have been tighter.

Yeah, it was a bit sad seeing Xavi just essentially out of breath. :lol: Needs a good amount of time off before the new season. How many starts would you expect him to make next season? 30? 40?

He'll still get 40's, especially with them allowing Tiagho to leave who often came in to give Xavi a rest. Xavi is 34ish and sometimes it's best to just move on no matter how influential you are around the team or how good of a career you've had. Unfortunately Xavi's time is slowly coming to an end yet i can't see Barca nor Spain doing anything about it. He’ll still be in that WC 2014 starting 11 without doubt. Which is a shame really with the talent coming through they deserve to be allowed to step up to the mark. I’d get the axe on a fair few of the current members of the team personally, I really do think it could do with a big shake up.

Xavi just can't play so many games every 3 days anymore. He hasn't even done it for Barça this season, where he's usually been rested for the midweek CL ties, so he was nowhere to be seen yesterday.

People seem to forget that Brazil had a goal-line clearance and a missed penalty yesterday. For all our suckiness, the result could also have been tighter.

Fair enough, but Spain still played a game less than Brazil in this tournament as they could do a lot of changes because of the Tahiti game. To complain about being knackered when playing 60minutes less than Brazil during the tournament isn't really a good excuse especially as Oscar has over the last 18 months played

Also, I'm not forgetting anything, the game changing moment was the David Luiz goal line clearance, and to say that it could've been tighter is like saying apple tastes like apple. At the end of the day on the day last night Brazil was the much better team and had it been ''reffed'' correctly which I was arguing with Neil than Spain would've played with at least 9 men the last 10-20 minutes yesterday.

I still see Spain and Germany as the big favourites for next year, but I think Brazil just moved into the 2nd tier with Argentina. Italy, France, Holland, England, Portugal and possibly Uruguay and Belgium are the quarterfinals favourite. Maybe Colombia too depending on weather and so on.

An absolute cunt of a so called tackle though was Oscar on Iniesta. Just ran up behind him and booted the back of his leg, no intention at all to get the ball. That kind of stuff doesn't merit a place on a football pitch. Iniesta didn't react or make a big thing of it which the ref therefore felt never even deserved a yellow, aaaaaaful.

An absolute c*** of a so called tackle though was Oscar on Iniesta. Just ran up behind him and booted the back of his leg, no intention at all to get the ball. That kind of stuff doesn't merit a place on a football pitch. Iniesta didn't react or make a big thing of it which the ref therefore felt never even deserved a yellow, aaaaaaful.

Absolutely, I did mention it earlier as he definitely deserved a booking, he didn't exactly run up and boot the back of his leg though man :lol: . It was a yellow nonetheless. But Arbeloa could've easily and should've been off in the 15th minute and Ramos did exactly what Oscar did on Iniesta on Oscar except Oscar was through on goal. Could've easily been a red and had he given a yellow to Oscar I would've easily argued that Ramos should've then be off in the 28th minute.

Guest teapot

Think I read somewhere that Brazil were ranked 22 in the world before this tournament. Surely that wasn't right, was it ?

Think I read somewhere that Brazil were ranked 22 in the world before this tournament. Surely that wasn't right, was it ?

We only play friendlies, and we've been shit at them. So we don't get any points as Germany does beating Ireland or Austria or as England does beating San Marino. But the way we were playing with Mano I'd argue we were rightfully the owners of the 22nd place in the ranking.

An absolute c*** of a so called tackle though was Oscar on Iniesta. Just ran up behind him and booted the back of his leg, no intention at all to get the ball. That kind of stuff doesn't merit a place on a football pitch. Iniesta didn't react or make a big thing of it which the ref therefore felt never even deserved a yellow, aaaaaaful.

Absolutely, I did mention it earlier as he definitely deserved a booking, he didn't exactly run up and boot the back of his leg though man :lol: . It was a yellow nonetheless. But Arbeloa could've easily and should've been off in the 15th minute and Ramos did exactly what Oscar did on Iniesta on Oscar except Oscar was through on goal. Could've easily been a red and had he given a yellow to Oscar I would've easily argued that Ramos should've then be off in the 28th minute.

I thought the Ramos thing was an accidental collision TBH, still do.

Haven't played any competitive games and friendlies are weighted lower in ranking points. Always happens to hosts of tournaments.

Fair enough, but Spain still played a game less than Brazil in this tournament as they could do a lot of changes because of the Tahiti game. To complain about being knackered when playing 60minutes less than Brazil during the tournament isn't really a good excuse especially as Oscar has over the last 18 months played

Nah mate. Any athlete would rather Brazil's schedule than Spain's.

I will say Brazil's home advantage is real. Not having the best side also works in your favour as the crowd really supported the team rather than added pressure.

I thought the Ramos thing was an accidental collision TBH, still do.

Accidental? He stamped on Oscar who was through on goal, I'm not suggesting it was malicious, Oscar's tackle wasn't malicious either it was clumsy, have you ever seen Oscar do malicious stuff. He has been as knackered as Xavi and was just coming late into challenges because of our aggressive high pressure. But Ramos was very aware of what he was doing, he stopped Oscar who was through on goals. It's like saying the yellow David Luiz got for bringing down Ba was fair...