How do the fans respond?

Dokko

The fans won't do a goddamn thing. Sure there'll be loads of self-righteous indignation, but at the end of the day, SJP will still be packed every Saturday and kits will continue to fly off the racks.

Fans are like shareholders with no actual voting power. They fund a substantial part of the club, but get no official say on the running of the club. Their ongoing financial support should only really be continued if they feel like they get a return on their investment, or the management demonstrate a genuine ambition to provide the desired return: ie - good football, on-field success etc

I have no idea why any fan who actually cared about the footballing prospects of the club would continue to finance Ashley's complete mutilation and hijacking of the club into his personal corporate advertising vehicle.

I do think Deuce is right though, in that some fans will just go because they've always gone, or because they're not that fussed, or for social reasons, or that they either see no direct correlation between their support and the miserly returns it enables, or they're naive/optimistic/want to believe so badly that they just ignore what they see (Pardew/Kinnear etc) and hope beyond hope for the best.

Wonder if one of the reason's he's spoken about it now, not earlier (if the negotiations have been going on for 3 weeks) is to go past the renewal date for season tickets and therefore the date where people can get refunds?

You can't get refunds at any point.

From my email...

we have cancelled your ticket but as per the terms and conditions you accepted I’m afraid we are unable to refund any monies already paid

Because the love football and following NUFC is a massive part of their lives. Fair play to people who decide to stay away but I can't expect that of anyone.

Yeah, that probably falls under one of the miscellaneous categories above. I just don't think it tallies up with wanting the best for the football of the club. That's my believes, anyway.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've just texted my mate who runs the Gateshead Supporters Club to get me all aboard the Heed Army for next season. These guys, die hard Toon fans, life-long ST holders, got out after the KK/relegation fiasco and while they still love the club, they've moved on and so shall I. Enough is enough. 

I predict that the majority of the fans who attend games won't do fuck all, just like last season when we were serving dog shit performance the fans just shrugged their shoulders and accepted it.

Ashley will continue to run this club into the ground.

Guest icemanblue

The fans won't do a goddamn thing. Sure there'll be loads of self-righteous indignation, but at the end of the day, SJP will still be packed every Saturday and kits will continue to fly off the racks.

Fans are like shareholders with no actual voting power. They fund a substantial part of the club, but get no official say on the running of the club. Their ongoing financial support should only really be continued if they feel like they get a return on their investment, or the management demonstrate a genuine ambition to provide the desired return: ie - good football, on-field success etc

I have no idea why any fan who actually cared about the footballing prospects of the club would continue to finance Ashley's complete mutilation and hijacking of the club into his personal corporate advertising vehicle.

I do think Deuce is right though, in that some fans will just go because they've always gone, or because they're not that fussed, or for social reasons, or that they either see no direct correlation between their support and the miserly returns it enables, or they're naive/optimistic/want to believe so badly that they just ignore what they see (Pardew/Kinnear etc) and hope beyond hope for the best.

Sage words from St. James' regulars. Fans of Newcastle United are part of the problem.

Fuck me.

Sage words from St. James' regulars. Fans of Newcastle United are part of the problem.

Fuck me.

:rolleyes:

Reading comprehension issues with this one. Fans aren't the problem with this club. Expecting the fans to do anything about the problems at this club is naive.

Premiership clubs make most of their money from the TV deals. I imagine the match day crowd contribute less than 20% of NUFC's annual income (has anyone got the actual figures to hand?). I imagine it would still be financially viable for a club to be in the Premiership even if nobody turned up to watch the games at the ground and it relied purely on TV money.

As for blaming the fans, a lot of us are tied in to the 10, 9 or 8 year deal. My window to cancel my season ticket closed at the end of January. The January signings convinced me to keep the ticket. I doubt I would have renewed if I was making my decision at the end of the season. I've already paid for part of this coming seasons ticket. As no refunds are given for cancelling a ticket I'm not throwing that money away by cancelling now (it could be argued that I'm throwing good money after bad by paying for the rest of this coming seasons ticket). I'll be cancelling this season if it's another shit season of awful performances.

As for blaming the fans, a lot of us are tied in to the 10, 9 or 8 year deal. My window to cancel my season ticket closed at the end of January. The January signings convinced me to keep the ticket. I doubt I would have renewed if I was making my decision at the end of the season. I've already paid for part of this coming seasons ticket. As no refunds are given for cancelling a ticket I'm not throwing that money away by cancelling now (it could be argued that I'm throwing good money after bad by paying for the rest of this coming seasons ticket). I'll be cancelling this season if it's another shit season of awful performances.

Which is why the deal was structed that way in the first place. If you think about it, why would the club voluntarily charge less for tickets? It's because they can guarantee a high renewal rate with payments starting mid-way through the previous season.

Fuck me.

Reading comprehension issues with this one. Fans aren't the problem with this club. Expecting the fans to do anything about the problems at this club is naive.

Not said fans are the problem with the club, nor the sole catalyst or responsible for change. I said on page one of this thread that the actions of fans didn't guarantee change.

Choosing not to wilfully bankrolling Kinnear and Pardew and >insert any of Ashley's other mates< are a start though, and the only real power a fan has - as such, I don't see a decent reason why any fan would continue to line his pockets.

People will do whatever they want with their own money at the end of the day. Inochi will WUM and characterise what I've said as blaming fans, but I've not anywhere said fans necessarily have the power to make things better nor that there is an unbreakable causal relationship between fans turning up and Ashley still being in charge/being a dick, but fans choose whether or not to financially support the people who are making the club worse. And if they do, they deserve more of the last three home games. They made contributions towards it.

Guest icemanblue

Fuck me.

Not said fans are the problem with the club, nor the sole catalyst or responsible for change. I said on page one of this thread that the actions of fans didn't guarantee change.

Choosing not to wilfully bankrolling Kinnear and Pardew and >insert any of Ashley's other mates< are a start though, and the only real power a fan has - as such, I don't see a decent reason why any fan would continue to line his pockets.

People will do whatever they want with their own money at the end of the day. Inochi will WUM and characterise what I've said as blaming fans, but I've not anywhere said fans necessarily have the power to make things better nor that there is an unbreakable causal relationship between fans turning up and Ashley still being in charge/being a dick, but fans choose whether or not to financially support the people who are making the club worse. And if they do, they deserve more of the last three home games. They made contributions towards it.

I don't have to characterise much, really.

When you have a decision to make yourself, then your comments will hold a bit more weight. It's a pathetic, elitist attitude from people with very little knowledge of what they're commenting on.