Sunderland

Nobody

Are the chronicle not allowed to talk about the Johnson story? Just had a quick look and couldn't see any updates from them about the case. Plenty of nothing stories about their keeper and upcoming refs etc though

Lee Ryder is just preparing to tweet that there's nothing in it any time now.

"According to my club sources at the club who have told me, there's nothing concrete in the Johnson case about Johnson right now"

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 12h hours ago

Hearing rumors that a sunderland player might be in a spot of bother with the law.  My sources tell me there's nothing in it.

What laws could they have broke? Unless not playing football was a requirement of his bail I cannot see how anything the club would have done was wrong legally.

A woman in a high position knew everything, saw all the evidence. The club can't hide behind her, surely. If she's at fault therefore the club are at fault.

No ideas about laws etc but surely this is more than just morally wrong.

Byrne is in trouble. The club has been completely exposed here, they should count themselves very lucky if they escape punishment.

Got grief for this yesterday. But are we sure the club haven't broken any laws? It's getting worse by the day.

I can't think how they will have broken any law because they will not be legally bound to disclose evidence such as this but from a morality perspective it's bottom of the swamp

What laws could they have broke? Unless not playing football was a requirement of his bail I cannot see how anything the club would have done was wrong legally.

A woman in a high position knew everything, saw all the evidence. The club can't hide behind her, surely. If she's at fault therefore the club are at fault.

No ideas about laws etc but surely this is more than just morally wrong.

So what if she/they did? They were under no obligation from anyone not to play him. Was their choice, regardless of it being "wrong"

Guest firetotheworks

He specifically used his role as a Sunderland player in order to groom a child. They allowed him to carry on as a Sunderland player having known that that was the case.

At fault for what though? He was allowed to play football by law.

It's wrong morally, but there's nothing the law can do about it as far as I'm aware. Not sure the FA can or will either, it's just one of them things.

He specifically used his role as a Sunderland player in order to groom a child. They allowed him to carry on as a Sunderland player having known that that was the case.

Aye maybe, who would level the charges against them, the FA?

Guest firetotheworks

Course they've not broken any laws. :lol:

Is it not even anything along the lines of acting recklessly/irresponsibly? It seems more like the type of thing that would be deemed that way in hindsight, had he gone on to do it again. As it is it just looks dodgy that they allowed a player of their's to remain in a position that they knew he had used in order to groom a child.

Again though, shouldn't it be the court who made that decision. They knew the evidence too, it would be a bit weird for them to not put something like that in his bale conditions and then punish the club for it.

But he was pleading not guilty in Court but told Sunderland he was guilty in private?

Guest neesy111

Again though, shouldn't it be the court who made that decision. They knew the evidence too, it would be a bit weird for them to not put something like that in his bale conditions and then punish the club for it.

But he was pleading not guilty in Court but told Sunderland he was guilty in private?

He didn't need to enter a plea didn't he in earlier court appearances?

Is it not even anything along the lines of acting recklessly/irresponsibly? It seems more like the type of thing that would be deemed that way in hindsight, had he gone on to do it again. As it is it just looks dodgy that they allowed a player of their's to remain in a position that they knew he had used in order to groom a child.

As Hans says, it's up to the police/court to decide what he can and can't do whilst on bail. They knew what his job was, they could have imposed conditions saying he couldn't play football if they wished, but they didn't.

He didn't need to enter a plea didn't he in earlier court appearances?

June last year he pleaded not guilty to all four charges but told Sunderland he was guilty. They played him knowing full well he touched kids.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/adam-johnson-pleads-not-guilty-to-child-sex-charges-10293967.html

I don't think they have, not in the legal system. When an accusation like this is made then a company can suspend an employee and usually make a decision on whether they can accommodate that person in his current employment or dismiss them if they feel they cannot accommodate them once verdict or admittance occurs.

The club might consider dismissal beforehand if they feel it would negatively affect their brand and might use "breakdown of trust" as the reason for doing so, although it's far more likely that they would only make this decision after verdict or admittance of guilt. Innocent until proven guilty is the word of the law here and they would be right to employ him until such a point he is found guilty.

If he pleaded innocent until the day of the trial then I would sympathise with the club, but since it is now clear that they knew about the evidence against him since May last year it looks damning on them that he was not kept on suspension. If they knew how he was going to plead then that's even worse from an ethical and less importantly a financial point of view for them.

So perhaps a bringing the game into disrepute charge could be levelled at them by the FA, but as for laws broken safc haven't broken any that I am aware of.

Guest firetotheworks

As Hans says, it's up to the police/court to decide what he can and can't do whilst on bail. They knew what his job was, they could have imposed conditions saying he couldn't play football if they wished, but they didn't.

Ah okay, so the onus is on the police/court and all they did was recommend safeguards.

Ah okay, so the onus is on the police/court and all they did was recommend safeguards.

I'm not sure if this is right. As the post above says, if SAFC assumed he was pleading not guilty then I'd totally agree. Having a full confession from him about what he'd done is a totally different matter. I'm trying to think what would happen in any other line of work - say this was a teacher. Imagine a School knowing a teacher was a pedophile but keeping it hush hush and keeping the teacher in employment until the trial.

The weird thing is the sacking him when he pleaded guilty.  What he pleaded guilty to was what he admitted in the interviews that they knew about (which makes it a bit odd that he pleaded not guilty to start with, but hey).  Acting all surprised and sacking him then is a bit devious in terms of public image.

I'm not sure if this is right. As the post above says, if SAFC assumed he was pleading not guilty then I'd totally agree. Having a full confession from him about what he'd done is a totally different matter. I'm trying to think what would happen in any other line of work - say this was a teacher. Imagine a School knowing a teacher was a pedophile but keeping it hush hush and keeping the teacher in employment until the trial.

In the teaching profession that is absolutely clear, you are working directly with impressionable kids and a suspension till the verdict is a given, it's not the same in this case although morally disgusting behaviour from the club