Sunderland

Nobody

Of course, but there has to be more evidentiary support than one person's word to justify a conviction anyway.

So essentially, in any sex case unless there are what third party witnesses/evidence the person can never be convicted? That cannot be right.

But then is it not down to basically who can lie better in court anyway?  Only Johnson and the girl will ever know what truly happened in the car that evening.

I can easily see the jury deciding there's enough doubt to acquit him. I haven't followed that closely but I haven't seen anything that proves he sexed her up.

because there isnt anything

There's the girl's evidence that he did.

Texts before: 'Depends what you’re up for - a little bit more than kissing. A bit of feeling.' and after: 'it wasn't so bad', 'you felt turned on'.

His admission in giving evidence he intended to have sexual contact with her.

The only evidence against is his story that he had some sort of epiphany while his tongue was down her throat.

You don't need to have all the pieces to see the picture on the jigsaw puzzle.

There's no proof though. To be sure "beyond reasonable doubt" you really need some proof.  Him saying he wanted more than kissing doesnt mean it happened.  I've said it before, I do think he is guilty of a feel of her but I wouldnt be 100%.  How high up a percentage would it need to be to qualify as beyond reasonable doubt?

It's about 90%.

'Proof' doesn't need to be DNA samples and fingerprints, it can be a combination of factors which back up someone's side of the story.

Of course, but there has to be more evidentiary support than one person's word to justify a conviction anyway.

So essentially, in any sex case unless there are what third party witnesses/evidence the person can never be convicted? That cannot be right.

No evidence with the exception of the alleged victim's word resulting in a conviction if contested by the defendant(s)? I'd be genuinely interested to read one case in the UK where it has, but I doubt it exists.

Sex cases will generally always have a fair degree of supporting evidence anyway, thankfully. One quick scratch will get DNA under the fingernails etc.

No evidence with the exception of the alleged victim's word resulting in a conviction if contested by the defendant(s)? I'd be genuinely interested to read one case in the UK where it has, but I doubt it exists.

Sex cases will generally always have a fair degree of supporting evidence anyway, thankfully. One quick scratch will get DNA under the fingernails etc.

I'm not trying to be a dick here it's genuinely interesting to talk about. So we're talking generally about sex cases, typically people (including rapists) will run consent. So how can DNA take the case any further in such a scenario? Court of appeal says medical evidence is corroborative but not diagnostic of rape so what sort of supporting evidence are you envisaging?

Like I say genuinely curious.

I'm not trying to be a dick here it's genuinely interesting to talk about. So we're talking generally about sex cases, typically people (including rapists) will run consent. So how can DNA take the case any further in such a scenario? Court of appeal says medical evidence is corroborative but not diagnostic of rape so what sort of supporting evidence are you envisaging?

Unfortunately, within a relationship the consent defence can succeed, it's a major flaw in the system but I don't see a way around it. But if a woman fights back, sustains injuries etc, as does the accused there's obviously effective support for the allegation. Admmissable use of previous bad character pertaining to sexual assaults etc.

Ched Evans?

Unfortunately, within a relationship the consent defence can succeed, it's a major flaw in the system but I don't see a way around it. But if a woman fights back, sustains injuries etc, as does the accused there's obviously effective support for the allegation. Admmissable use of previous bad character pertaining to sexual assaults etc.

Worryingly it succeeds outside of relationships. It's a really tricky one. The law is already disproportionately stacked in favour of complainants.

I think he's guilty of it. Just my opinion.

He's cast enough 'reasonable doubt' on the charges he's not pleading guilty to. Not guilty on both counts.

Sign the register. Suspended sentence.

Is what will happen.

We'll squirm a bit. Make Byrne a scapegoat. It'll be forgotten about within the month.

Probably not a god example but it does exist. The attrition rate in rape cases is around 6/10 i.e. 6 cases in 10 result in not guilty verdicts.

I am not saying you are wrong. But where did you get this number? It is a shockingly high statistic.

I think he's guilty of it. Just my opinion.

He's cast enough 'reasonable doubt' on the charges he's not pleading guilty to. Not guilty on both counts.

Sign the register. Suspended sentence.

Is what will happen.

We'll squirm a bit. Make Byrne a scapegoat. It'll be forgotten about within the month.

Doubt it, football fans will be singing about it for ages man :lol:

'Statistics show that while the conviction ratio for child sex offences has fallen from 67% to 60% in the last two years those found guilty of all criminal offences in England and Wales has remained steady at 83%.'

Telegraph in 2015.

'Conviction rates for sexual offences plummeted faster than for any other type of crime last year, official figures have revealed.

Victim support groups said the fall of 6 per cent to just 55 per cent was “startling” and warned it could have a major impact on the willingness of victims to come forward.'

Telegraph in 2014

Is there some part of his defense I missed?

From what I can tell his defense consists of 'I wanted to but changed my mind when I was kissing her, honest' backed up by 'I've always been an honor-less slime-ball but I'm actually being really honest now' and his girlfriend's supporting evidence that 'he's been really honest and open and told me everything... apart from all the stuff I've just found out about'.

Where's all this doubt he's supposedly cast?

Is there some part of his defense I missed?

From what I can tell his defense consists of 'I wanted to but changed my mind when I was kissing her, honest' backed up by 'I've always been an honor-less slime-ball but I'm actually being really honest now' and his girlfriend's supporting evidence that 'he's been really honest and open and told me everything... apart from all the stuff I've just found out about'.

Where's all this doubt he's supposedly cast?

He doesnt have to prove innocence, the girl/prosecution has to prove guilt.

..and they havent imo (well, not enough to convince however many are on the jury).

That said, I think actually witnessing it all in court might give a different view. How Johnson was, how the girl was etc. I'm sure you can read a lot more into that than the text on a screen we've been getting

'Beyond reasonable doubt' is weird here. Because there's no video evidence, Johnson can just admit partial guilt and talk his way out of trouble. So easy to cast doubt. How does anyone ever get convicted of this?!?!

I've always had a lingering suspicion that in high profile celebrity cases that Jury's apply a far stricter burden. Johnson's defence is about as weak as it gets, be interested to see what happens.

Guest firetotheworks

"You felt turned on" says a lot for 4 words, like. I'd lose all faith in our justice system if he's acquitted.

I've seen Making a Murderer so if he's found not guilty it'll just be a shrug.