Sunderland

Nobody

Of course, but there has to be more evidentiary support than one person's word to justify a conviction anyway.

So essentially, in any sex case unless there are what third party witnesses/evidence the person can never be convicted? That cannot be right.

No evidence with the exception of the alleged victim's word resulting in a conviction if contested by the defendant(s)? I'd be genuinely interested to read one case in the UK where it has, but I doubt it exists.

Wow. :lol: So naive.

It happens every day, in every court. Witness/victim testimony is what the justice system is built on. How do you think historical sex offences ever get prosecuted? In your world, almost nobody other than strangers with a knife in the park would ever get convicted of rape, the conviction rate would be in single digits.

Most rape allegations hinge on consent in my experience - standard practice is two pissed people go home together, sex occurs, and they disagree about the circumstances in which it took place. Physical evidence in that situation is worthless.

Not just sex cases, most minor offences in the magistrates run purely on witness statements as well - most domestic violence is one person's word against another, most racially aggravated offences are the same: "he hit me and called me a paki" "no I didn't, I just hit him."

Stuff like drunk and disorderly is your word against a police officer and your chances of your word being deemed more credible than his are slim to none. There is no evidence in a case like that - the two sides give their version of what happened and the bench decide which is more credible.

"Doubt it exists" :lol:

Is there some part of his defense I missed?

From what I can tell his defense consists of 'I wanted to but changed my mind when I was kissing her, honest' backed up by 'I've always been an honor-less slime-ball but I'm actually being really honest now' and his girlfriend's supporting evidence that 'he's been really honest and open and told me everything... apart from all the stuff I've just found out about'.

Where's all this doubt he's supposedly cast?

Indeed. Not just changed his mind when he was kissing her ("I knew it was wrong") but then upon leaving her, immediately changed it back and decided he wants to get in the back next time. The jury will have to buy a fairly preposterous story to go NG on the digital penetration charge imo.

Of course, but there has to be more evidentiary support than one person's word to justify a conviction anyway.

So essentially, in any sex case unless there are what third party witnesses/evidence the person can never be convicted? That cannot be right.

No evidence with the exception of the alleged victim's word resulting in a conviction if contested by the defendant(s)? I'd be genuinely interested to read one case in the UK where it has, but I doubt it exists.

It happens every day, in every court. Witness/victim testimony is what the justice system is built on. How do you think historical sex offences ever get prosecuted? In your world, almost nobody other than strangers with a knife in the park would ever get convicted of rape, the conviction rate would be in single digits.

Most rape allegations hinge on consent in my experience - standard practice is two pissed people go home together, sex occurs, and they disagree about the circumstances in which it took place. Physical evidence in that situation is worthless.

Not just sex cases, most minor offences in the magistrates run purely on witness statements as well - most domestic violence is one person's word against another, most racially aggravated offences are the same: "he hit me and called me a paki" "no I didn't, I just hit him."

Stuff like drunk and disorderly is your word against a police officer and your chances of your word being deemed more credible than his are slim to none. There is no evidence in a case like that - the two sides give their version of what happened and the bench decide which is more credible.

I was going to say that, but much less coherently. :okay:

:thup:

:lol:

I can easily see the jury deciding there's enough doubt to acquit him. I haven't followed that closely but I haven't seen anything that proves he sexed her up.

because there isnt anything

Wouldn't be so sure. It seems like the reporting on certain aspects of the incidents that Johnson pleaded to not guilty on were rather scant, as if more was said in the courtroom than was released in the media.

I think the media reports are selective and some poeple who've been in court in the public gallery have pulled the likes of Josh Halliday up on it.

They are also legal arguments etc that they weren't allowed to report.

Is there some part of his defense I missed?

From what I can tell his defense consists of 'I wanted to but changed my mind when I was kissing her, honest' backed up by 'I've always been an honor-less slime-ball but I'm actually being really honest now' and his girlfriend's supporting evidence that 'he's been really honest and open and told me everything... apart from all the stuff I've just found out about'.

Where's all this doubt he's supposedly cast?

Timing.

He said he had to be at the coach at the stade de plop by 6 pm or get fined so couldn't have stayed with her as long as she alleged but there is zero cctv evidence to show him driving to the coach either late or on time and he didn't get a fine either. the club literature the prosecution had says he had to be there by 6.30 though,

Doubt it, football fans will be singing about it for ages man :lol:

Surely not  :lol:

FFS the Smoggies still get grief over a child abuse scandal which happened almost 30 years ago  :lol:

Aye, which is bonkers when you consider that the scandal was about children not having been abused.

Higgs actually lived in Newcastle, I lived a couple of doors away from her at the time. Odd family, kids were virtually feral.

I think he's guilty of it. Just my opinion.

He's cast enough 'reasonable doubt' on the charges he's not pleading guilty to. Not guilty on both counts.

Sign the register. Suspended sentence.

Is what will happen.

We'll squirm a bit. Make Byrne a scapegoat. It'll be forgotten about within the month.

Doubt it, football fans will be singing about it for ages man :lol:

Not only is he a predatory paedo he's a predatory paedo with a famous face. That in itself will make whatever is coming his way a life changing event for him. He'll not be able to walk down a street, go to a pub, restaurant without serious risk of getting into serious bother.

I doubt the public will ever warm to a convicted paedo.

Most rape allegations hinge on consent in my experience - standard practice is two p*ssed people go home together, sex occurs, and they disagree about the circumstances in which it took place. Physical evidence in that situation is worthless.

I was going to say that, but much less coherently. :okay:

:thup:

Wullie :thup: Ronaldo's post displays a spectacular level of stupidity, wow. Imagine, racist incidents for example couldn't be prosecuted without a time-stamped audio recording of the event  :lol:

If either of you can cite a case where a sexual assault conviction has been secured purely by the victim's testimony only, which has been contested by the defendant, let's hear it. Been waiting since last night.

Racist incidents, ffs. Wake up, man. :lol:

If either of you can cite a case where a sexual assault conviction has been secured purely by the victim's testimony only, which has been contested by the defendant, let's hear it. Been waiting since last night.

Dave Lee Travis ?

Phil Taylor ?

Mike Tyson (America i know) ?

I'm sure there's more i can't remember.

CPS guidance on evidence requirements for rape prosecutions: "The police will always look for corroboration or supporting evidence (such as medical or scientific evidence, CCTV evidence, or eyewitnesses to events prior to or after the incident) but it is not essential and a prosecution can still go ahead without it."

Anyway, how would such a case be relevant to this? There is solid evidence of events before and after that strongly support her version of what happened and lots of stuff that casts doubt on his truthfulness, it's not purely her word against his.

Of course it could go one way or the other, but I think you and a few others seem to be misinterpreting the level of evidence needed to be 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

CPS guidance on evidence requirements for rape prosecutions: "The police will always look for corroboration or supporting evidence (such as medical or scientific evidence, CCTV evidence, or eyewitnesses to events prior to or after the incident) but it is not essential and a prosecution can still go ahead without it."

Anyway, how would such a case be relevant to this? There is solid evidence of events before and after that strongly support her version of what happened and lots of stuff that casts doubt on his truthfulness, it's not purely her word against his.

Of course it could go one way or the other, but I think you and a few others seem to be misinterpreting the level of evidence needed to be 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

Hers too