The other games today - 2013/14

JH

I'm looking forward to the Portugal Vs Sweden game. I wouldn't normally but due to the fact there's no PL games it does seem quite appealing.

These international weeks seem to come more often than in the past, seems every 4 weeks there's fucking qualifiers or friendlies. Surely they will die down now the qualifiers will be over?

Next one is in March  I think.

August, September, October and November all have Internationals IIRC. Then you have some in June after the season is over. 

Colombia got some options up front like.

They're a very decent team. Think they should depending on group be making at least quarterfinals. I'd expect quarterfinals to be four SA teams and for European teams depending on the group draw.

They're a very decent team. Think they should depending on group be making at least quarterfinals. I'd expect quarterfinals to be four SA teams and for European teams depending on the group draw.

There is always a wildcard QF.

If there are no surprises in the African qualifiers this weekend (God-willing) or the second legs of the intercontinental playoffs, I think this World Cup could be very competitive (unfortunately this might mean cagey, also) with quite a few surprises. South America's team are even stronger than last time, there should be at least four legitimately threatening and competent African sides there (barring chaos, which is always possible). I don't think there are many easy victories about. Even Europe, outside the top two or three sides seems to be quite close between the teams.

Guest palnese

If there are no surprises in the African qualifiers this weekend (God-willing) or the second legs of the intercontinental playoffs, I think this World Cup could be very competitive (unfortunately this might mean cagey, also) with quite a few surprises. South America's team are even stronger than last time, there should be at least four legitimately threatening and competent African sides there (barring chaos, which is always possible). I don't think there are many easy victories about. Even Europe, outside the top two or three sides seems to be quite close between the teams.

:yao:

Make jokes now if you want to, we shall see results when the day of reckoning falls upon us. I won't poison the air with words of petulance and combativeness until this time. Our teams are in much better shape this time, and funny enough the lack of a WC year ACN will help because this means half of the managers won't be getting sacked two months before preparations start. I am quietly confident, given a decent draw.

Actually African teams have decent chance if they get their harder games in Manaus or Fortaleza. It's 32-34 degrees average, with a humidity beyond reasonable. It's unbearable to play football in since the shirts, shorts, socks all get soaked after 5 minutes.

Compare that to say Berlin where weather in June is 22 degrees in june or say Porto Alegre where some games will be played and the temperature is aorund 19-20 degrees in average.

Such a big country that I think temperature and weather will play a big role.

Actually African teams have decent chance if they get their harder games in Manaus or Fortaleza. It's 32-34 degrees average, with a humidity beyond reasonable. It's unbearable to play football in since the shirts, shorts, socks all get soaked after 5 minutes.

Compare that to say Berlin where weather in June is 22 degrees in june or say Porto Alegre where some games will be played and the temperature is aorund 19-20 degrees in average.

Such a big country that I think temperature and weather will play a big role.

I'm not sure this matter so much. most of our boys have been playing in Europe since they were sixteen. Most of the big African sides struggle away because they are made to play on hard pitches in unforgiving atmospheres.

:lol: same s**** before every World Cup.

It's not as though African teams haven't shown well at the World Cup before. It is just that for some reason the whole continent has never really put one WC together where all the sides fully burst on the scene. Ghana, Cameroon, Senegal, Nigeria and even Morocco have all done well individually in World Cups. I don't know why it is never a collective thing. The tired humour is appreciated, though.

The humour is as tired as the "this will be a big world cup for Africa" shite that comes around every 4 years. 1 team does moderately well in the groups, then gets knocked out when they have to face someone decent in the knockouts. The rest do fuck all. Nothing will change.

Can't think of a single African/Asian team that will make an impression on the WC. Ivory Coast could/should make it out of the group but after that it'll be the usual suspects imo. I'd love to be proved wrong and see some interesting matches in the last 16/8 but simply can't see it.