The other games today - 2013/14

JH

They won't need a DM. 2 CM's and an AM in most games.

2 of the midfield 4 will be on the bench.

Neither Dembele or Paulinho are DMs...

Yep, and it didn't work great with just the two of them yesterday. One will naturally look to hold, which neither is great at. Dembele and Sandro were natural complements. The line-up above, with Dembele and Paulinho forward and one of Capoue/Sandro holding is their best bet.

We can't work out why AVB didn't start 433 tbh, although it's early days yet.

I agree with VI. We're a bit flat and dull, although by the same token we're not going to lose many games. Very similar to last year, only with better players. A 433 with Bale/Willian/Chadli/Townsend either side of Soldado would be enough, and both Sandro and Capoue are eminently capable of holding the team together while Dembele and Paulinho (or whoever) push on. It just looks like Sigurdsson isn't quite what we're looking for. If we get, say, Willian in I think that's effectively confirmation that Bale is leaving. There's no way we can spend the kind of money we have otherwise, surely?

At least the fuckers gave us a penalty this season.

I would say that the Bale move is just dependent on whether you can get his replacements in or not. If you do, he'll go. If you don't, he stays. I think Madrid haven't announced anything as a gentleman's agreement so as not to fuck you in searching for replacements.

I would say that the Bale move is just dependent on whether you can get his replacements in or not. If you do, he'll go. If you don't, he stays. I think Madrid haven't announced anything as a gentleman's agreement so as not to f*** you in searching for replacements.

Yeah, the "gentleman's agreement" is my gut feeling. I don't think it's actually conditional on getting in replacements, although I think that in Willian and Lamela that's exactly what we're trying to do. There are a couple of schools of thought - that's one, another is that we're spending the money right now having agreed to sell him next summer, another is that Joe Lewis has thought "fuck it" and given us a wodge of cash to spend. I think the gentleman's agreement is the most likely - although calling Real Madrid gentlemen is pushing it a bit.

I'd say they don't want to screw you since they already took Modric last year and of course you are ripe for more pickings in the future (Vertonghen, Dembele etc). It probably pays to make sure you come out of this all right rather completely fucking you over and ruining whatever decent feelings may exist so they haven't announced anything and are giving you time to sign new players.

Lyon - Real Sociedad on the Spanish telly tonight. Can't wait.

Should be match of the night. Reckon Sociedad can get to the group stage? Would be class if they did.

Mind, Lyon have looked very sharp indeed in their first 2 games.

Lyon - Real Sociedad on the Spanish telly tonight. Can't wait.

Should be match of the night. Reckon Sociedad can get to the group stage? Would be class if they did.

Mind, Lyon have looked very sharp indeed in their first 2 games.

Shame one these teams has to miss out. La Real for all their good work last season and OL because they've a great set of young players. Wouldn't want to call it either way although aside from flog Irralmendi (sp?) I don't know who else they let go/got in.

Think PSV v Milan will be canny too.

Was gonna mention that. PSV v Milan as a qualifier just doesn't sound right.

For some reason watching PSV play at home in Europe (not against us) is something I have in my head as being an enjoyable watch. They must have played Man United a couple of times or something. Always a cracking atmosphere too.

Real Sociedad have only lost Illarramendi, and brought Granero in. They have kept their block intact, which is commendable in these years.

They looked sharp at the weekend, so I expect a good game. Lyon are much more experienced, Real Sociedad have never played in the CL, and only Granero and Vela have experience there.