The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

Guest firetotheworks

Think I'd still have Iniesta because he could do everything Xavi could plus dribble, his peak ('13 iirc) was higher as well and you could argue he should have won the Balon d'Or that year. You could make a case for either though.

Think I'd still have Iniesta because he could do everything Xavi could plus dribble, his peak ('13 iirc) was higher as well and you could argue he should have won the Balon d'Or that year. You could make a case for either though.

First touch and passing he couldn't do as quickly as Xavi imo, nor totally controlling a match, Xavi was everywhere the ball was, keeping to team ticking and dominating at all times.

Iniesta played in moments.

Guest firetotheworks

First touch and passing he couldn't do as quickly as Xavi imo, nor totally controlling a match, Xavi was everywhere the ball was, keeping to team ticking and dominating at all times.

Iniesta played in moments.

Pretty much disagree with all of that like. :lol: But like I say you could probably make a case for either.

tbh I always felt that the Xavi and Iniesta were boring players. Xavi was an excellent passer and Iniesta had that insane ability to maneuver out of tight spaces. But the things they did weren't all that exciting imo. And because of that, it's difficult for me to eulagize over them.

Just wanna say, they're amazing, incredible players. Two of the best midfielders I've ever seen, but they're just not my cup of tea.

Guest firetotheworks

tbh I always felt that the Xavi and Iniesta were boring players. Xavi was an excellent passer and Iniesta had that insane ability to maneuver out of tight spaces. But the things they did weren't all that exciting imo. And because of that, it's difficult for me to eulagize over them.

Just wanna say, they're amazing, incredible players. Two of the best midfielders I've ever seen, but they're just not my cup of tea.

On second thoughts, maybe weed shouldn't be legalised.

Guest Howaythetoon

For me, Zidane was someone so rare he could elevate his talent, ability and general game to a level that would make his position on the field, role in the team, tactics deployed, the standard of opposition he was playing against or whoever his direct opponent was he was facing or even his own form and fitness and the level of competition he was playing at all irrelevant. I’d say era too.

It was as if the rules of the game itself and the dynamics of it if you like didn’t matter to him at times because he could elevate himself to another dimension or a different plaine if he wanted to. And he could do that in ways only he could, way’s that no one else could in the same way, not even great players like Xavi or Inesta, whereas he could do whatever they could do and better than they could if he wanted to. He was that good.

So good I’d rate him as the best I’ve seen in my life-time and someone who I’d place as one of the greatest of all-time because he could play at a level that is so high he himself could only play it once or twice and that level comes in the shape of his performance against Brazil.

His was the finest individual performance I’ve ever seen from a player strictly as a footballer and nothing else involved but just him and the football. He exhibited every skill known which he invented many of himself with such a style and grace it become not an exhibition of football or individual skills but an exhibition of Zidane. He took complete control of the ball in such a way he made it his own and every touch had a purpose where he made even the simple things seem majestical. No-one could get near him and there was some great players on the pitch.

Watching was surreal, I was sucked into a state of mind where it wasn’t Brazil vs France, a World Cup match, for all I cared the rest if the players may as well have not been on the pitch because I didn’t notice them, they didn’t matter to me, it literally was the Zidane show.

No-one back then or now could play at that kind of level. Messi could score a hat-trick, win his team the European Cup and literally have more touches than anyone else and exhibit all of his skills during the 90s minutes which he has kind of done for over a decade now and why he is the best right now and one of the best of all-time, but he couldn’t play at that level Zidane did against Brazil IMO.

A level Zidane could operate at in any area of the pitch, in his own penalty box or the opposition, with the ball at his feet, to chest or in the air and whether he had Ronaldo marking him or whether it was against Brazil and the World Cup. He could play at a level where time itself stopped and it’s just him and the ball and he can do whatever he wants with it. Only Pele, Cruyff and Maradona could elevate their game to a level like that.

Zidane was total football, he was the beautiful game.

In sport/life I think only a few can elevate their skills/self to a level that trancends them above everyone else.

Ali for example with boxing, the Beatles in music.

That’s not to deny say Messi because undoubtedly he is the greatest of all-time if we factor in everything, but just as a footballer on his own with a ball and nothing else I’d rate Zidane greater.

He was the best, that I’ve seen anyway.

Guest firetotheworks

Don't think I've ever agreed with HTT on footballers like. :lol: Canny remarkable how reliably consistent it's been over the years.

That's a good example of the obscene hype and borderline vomit inducing fantasy surrounding Zidane as well.

I can get Xavi not being someone’s cup of tea, but Iniesta was class at all the enjoyable bits of the game :lol:

This is the guy who wants Dele Alli to play as some kind of false centre half for England tbf :lol:

If I was to describe Iniesta, I'd say he was highly efficient. He kinda did everything just in the nick of time with a split second to spare. I'm stuck on this Zidane thing and he was a different animal all together. A lot more showman like. No doubt Iniesta is one of the greatest footballers of all time. No doubt whatsoever.

Also, this may be three years ago, but Harry Winks descibed Dele Alli as a player who resembles Fernandinho. Not only me.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't think I've ever agreed with HTT on footballers like. :lol: Canny remarkable how reliably consistent it's been over the years.

That's a good example of the obscene hype and borderline vomit inducing fantasy surrounding Zidane as well.

Admittedly he was no Collins John :lol:

Seriously though, there is a reason why Zidane and Maradona to use two examples are considered as the greatest players of all-time or part of that group while the likes of Xavi and Iniesta never will be despite achieving more and being more consistent in their performances while being great players in their own right. And that’s because of the level someone like Zidane could elevate their game to.

Even as individuals Zidane was a far better footballer in the way Ben Arfa was a better footballer than say Scholes. I’m talking individual ability on the ball across the skill set btw.

It’s all subjective though and pretty pointless when it comes to who is best in such debates when it comes to personal choice. Zidane is the best I’ve seen and someone I’d regard as a better player than say Messi and is one of the greatest of all time.

I’ve not seen a better exponent of the beautiful game than him at such a level than against Brazil or anyone back then and since capable of that kind of level of performance alone.

For Zidane, he could rise to that level on his own, and wasn’t bound by the rules or laws of the game in terms of where he played, his role in the team, the tactics, ability or lack of in his team-mates and so on. I think players like Xavi and Inesta are more bound by all or some of that than the likes of Zidane.

Of the two from Barca, I’d pick Iniesta ahead of Xavi, but only just.

Let’s hope your man Foden is more one of them than another Steven Gerrard for England...

Zidane, like many older players, probably benefits from most people not being able to watch every second of his career, like they do with Messi and Ronaldo.

Maybe he was sensational every week against Valladolid and Piacenza, but since he only won three league titles and one European trophy in ten years with Real Madrid and Juventus, I have my doubts. Consistency counts.

Guest Howaythetoon

Zidane's record at club level isn't great considering the teams he was in

One thing in Zidane’s favour when it comes to how he is regarded in general against the greats of history is his 2 goals in the World Cup Final and because there was literally no-one quite like him at the time. He’s was a bit of a throw-back to someone like Maradona in that sense, seen as the talisman who won France the WC, the main man at the then seen as biggest club in the world and who was at that time the most expensive player in the world as well.

But anyone who watched him understood he was more than a top player in the way Ronaldo was  or a bit special in the way Gazza was.

Again for me, as a footballer alone, he’s up there with Pele, Cruyff and Maradona who if not every week or all of the time, was better than anyone of his era and for a long long time before as demonstrated against Brazil. Players have great games and do great things, but Zidane didn’t just have a great game, he demonstrated a greatness to his game that made the likes of Ronaldo and Ronaldhino two greats of that era and of the game, mere spectators who could only stand back and watch in awe as Zidane taught the world a football lesson and showed them a level no number of goals scored or tricks and flicks or trophies won could elevate one to.

Guest firetotheworks

Seriously though, there is a reason why Zidane and Maradona to use two examples are considered as the greatest players of all-time or part of that group while the likes of Xavi and Iniesta never will be despite achieving more and being more consistent in their performances while being great players in their own right. And that’s because of the level someone like Zidane could elevate their game to.

Even as individuals Zidane was a far better footballer in the way Ben Arfa was a better footballer than say Scholes. I’m talking individual ability on the ball across the skill set btw.

It’s all subjective though and pretty pointless when it comes to who is best in such debates when it comes to personal choice. Zidane is the best I’ve seen and someone I’d regard as a better player than say Messi and is one of the greatest of all time.

I’ve not seen a better exponent of the beautiful game than him at such a level than against Brazil or anyone back then and since capable of that kind of level of performance alone.

For Zidane, he could rise to that level on his own, and wasn’t bound by the rules or laws of the game in terms of where he played, his role in the team, the tactics, ability or lack of in his team-mates and so on. I think players like Xavi and Inesta are more bound by all or some of that than the likes of Zidane.

Let’s hope your man Foden is more one of them than another Steven Gerrard for England...

Collins John. f***ing hell, I'd forgotten all about him.

Opinions and all that. All I'll say is that I don't think Zidane's really widely considered as being on Maradona's level as the very best, alongside Messi, Pele, or arguably Cruyff. One of the best players ever definitely, and probably widely viewed above Xavi and Iniesta, but with all the love and will in the world he's not on that level, absolutely no chance.

Personally I don't think he's on Ronaldo's Barca/Inter level either, but that's another can of worms.

Guest Howaythetoon

Collins John. f***ing hell, I'd forgotten all about him.

Opinions and all that. All I'll say is that I don't think Zidane's really widely considered as being on Maradona's level as the very best, alongside Messi, Pele, or arguably Cruyff. One of the best players ever definitely, and probably widely viewed above Xavi and Iniesta, but with all the love and will in the world he's not on that level, absolutely no chance.

Personally I don't think he's on Ronaldo's Barca/Inter level either, but that's another can of worms.

As great as Collins John was, he was no Dean Ashton...

For me I think Pele stands out above all others historically and probably always will.

Had Pele played in today’s game though how would he rank not just alongside the modern greats, but the greats of his time?

For me players back then were definitely more romanticised and whose feats at international level especially in the World Cup elevated their status and greatness.

Today because of TV we can see for ourselves with our own two eyes whereas we could only do that from radio and newspaper reports and later World Cups.

You mention Ronaldo, Cronaldo will go down in the history of the game as more of a great and likewise Zidane who WC aside you could argue Zlatan has had a better career and is equally one of the greatest of al time.

Anyway, for me, it’s down to how I look at a player and although stats and trophies are important those things are not important when evaluating a player’s talent or even greatness.

Ben Arfa for example is one of the best footballers I’ve seen period, escially for us, but never mind in 20 years time when is name gets mentioned today me saying Ben Arfa? Great player... will be met with what did he ever do? Or Robert was much better more often than not.

HBA was on another planet to Robert as a footballer IMO. And Zidane was too and in such a way he’s one of the greatest of all-time.

Opinions and all that of course...