The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

tbh I always felt that the Xavi and Iniesta were boring players. Xavi was an excellent passer and Iniesta had that insane ability to maneuver out of tight spaces. But the things they did weren't all that exciting imo. And because of that, it's difficult for me to eulagize over them.

Just wanna say, they're amazing, incredible players. Two of the best midfielders I've ever seen, but they're just not my cup of tea.

All that stored-up jizz is eating away at your brain.

I've always put Ronaldihno up there purely because one of the goals I remember properly from my younger years is that one where he just made everyone stand still while he took the shot against Chelsea. It felt like an age in real time.

Pele is the most overhyped player in history. 1000 goals in the pub leagues of Brazil where a manager like Kevin Keegan would be classed as boring and negative.

Maradona is the GOAT. Carried Napoli and Argentina to titles. he is of course a drug taking cheating arsehole which is why he doesn't get the accolades he deserves.

Pele is the most overhyped player in history. 1000 goals in the pub leagues of Brazil where a manager like Kevin Keegan would be classed as boring and negative.

Maradona is the GOAT. Carried Napoli and Argentina to titles. he is of course a drug taking cheating arsehole which is why he doesn't get the accolades he deserves.

Ever watched the Brazilian leagues?  It's dull as fuck.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pele was quite obviously ahead of his time, although again it’s hard to judge him today given how long ago it was and the era he played in. Watching and reading about Cruyff he was undoubtedly one of the best and of course Maradona had no equal in his era. Ability wise, he was outrageously gifted with the ball at his feet.

A few older fans I know swear George Best was the best player ever, but again it’s hard to judge.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember making this same ignorant point years ago as well and being corrected on it. Tl;dr- The Brazilian league was the best in the world back then and when Pele's Santos came to Europe they wiped the floor with everyone.

Oh dear.

Zidane, like many older players, probably benefits from most people not being able to watch every second of his career, like they do with Messi and Ronaldo.

Maybe he was sensational every week against Valladolid and Piacenza, but since he only won three league titles and one European trophy in ten years with Real Madrid and Juventus, I have my doubts. Consistency counts.

Did you do your research about the level of competition his clubs faced at the time?

Guest firetotheworks

I've never really understood why you would include honours when talking about who the best players are. That depends on their team and teammates. Just look at them and decide who you think is better at football.

Totally agree. It's a fair response to posts saying that a player transcends absolutely everything and runs games single-handedly though (HTT on Zidane). If that's true then the rewards are pretty unimpressive compared to the other greats.

Although Pele was clearly the best player of his era, I think its pretty pointless comparing him to current players considering how much the game has changed, same with Maradona really although obviously to a lesser extent

Neymar is going to end up with an absolutely obscene amount of caps and goals for Brazil if he doesn’t get injured. 59 in 94 and he’s only 26

He's Brazilian, bound to have his career go bust in his early 30s for some reason.

I've never really understood why you would include honours when talking about who the best players are. That depends on their team and teammates. Just look at them and decide who you think is better at football.

Totally agree. It's a fair response to posts saying that a player transcends absolutely everything and runs games single-handedly though (HTT on Zidane). If that's true then the rewards are pretty unimpressive compared to the other greats.

That ability to impose oneself on a game, to take charge and control it absolutely, is a trait of greatness, surely? Maradona and Zidane both benefit from this - and possibly why Xavi/Iniesta are not as praised, because their method isn't so much control but distribution and movement.

Thought this deserved some attention:

I can't say I know much about it but my gf's dad says the same about Garrincha and how he'd get more credit if Pele hadn't taken all the attention. 

I understood it to be nearly universally accepted that Garrincha was the better player, but drink and injury was as much a factor as Pele's rise (not to mention Garrincha's career was so short, and Pele's interminably long).

Guest Howaythetoon

That ability to impose oneself on a game, to take charge and control it absolutely, is a trait of greatness, surely? Maradona and Zidane both benefit from this - and possibly why Xavi/Iniesta are not as praised, because their method isn't so much control but distribution and movement.

And it’s that what sets them above others even if they don’t always put in consistent performances, win lots of trophies and have amazing goal stats.

By the way one player often not mentioned in debates like this is Roberto Baggio, had he not missed that penalty and won the WC with Italy, I think he’d have been mentioned in the same league as Zidane and co.

Been watching some stuff on Ronaldinho and Rivaldo lately and bloody hell, they were a joy to watch. Also watched some stuff on Cronaldo when he first started out and his first few years at Madrid, his pace was frightening and how he has changed his game has been nothing but amazing.

If we were to include everything and anything, Messi is undoubtedly going to be the best of all-time and likely never to be bettered.

Back to Pele, his greatness owes a lot to what he achieved internationally from the age of 17 and that he was so well rounded and so talented no-one had seen anything like that before and for a long time after.

Some players are just so good they belong to a category of greatness even the top players and those who have done great things individually and for their team can’t get into.

Guest Howaythetoon

Although Pele was clearly the best player of his era, I think its pretty pointless comparing him to current players considering how much the game has changed, same with Maradona really although obviously to a lesser extent

Both could play in any era and do their thing at any level IMO.

What is interesting is I was watching some clips of Maradona vs Real Madrid for Barcelona and he was literaly assaulted and sometimes viciously so whenever he got on the ball. And he would just get back up or play woul he waved on. In those clips he would do things that made him look ordinary or just another player, but then he’d do something no-one else could and that’s why he was so great because no-one was a good when he played and there had not been many better before him and even since.

Today, we are quite lucky in that the standard is so high and that we get to see so many top players all over in many positions.

I do feel though that a lot of the ordinary players from back then were much better than a lot of the ordinary players of today, on the ball anyway.

Messi and Ronaldo have undoubtedly set the bar and right now it’s so high you can’t see anyone at current reaching it.

Always difficult to compare players from different eras. Back in the days you'd be looked upon as Messi if you could pull off the Cruyff-turn, which even a Steven Taylor on crutches could do today. However, these players were pioneers so its likely that they would go on to be equally influental today if they grew up in the new "football environment".

Also, how do people weigh a player's team and how many clubs the player's have performed well for when comparing players? If we do the Zidane vs Iniesta or Ronaldo vs Messi discussion, it should be clear that its been easier for Iniesta and Messi as they've been comfortable for many years in a team shaped by Pep (also having a stabile core in the team over the years), whilst Zidane and Ronaldo have done their thing during many club changes. Not to take anything away from the godlike skills of Iniesta/Messi.

Guest firetotheworks

It's a trait of greatness yeah. What I'm saying is, if you're eulogising about Zidane being some sort of all-seeing God on the field, then that being the case (which I don't think it was with the regularity that's being suggested), the fruits of his labour weren't all that impressive compared to other players considered as greats of the game. If you're a player that controls matches and is generally seen as one of the greatest of all time, then you would think there'd be more trophies as a result of that genius.

Re the Xavi/Iniesta thing, I personally can't think of a player who's ever controlled matches more regularly and with more dominance than Xavi, whatever the method.

tbh I always felt that the Xavi and Iniesta were boring players. Xavi was an excellent passer and Iniesta had that insane ability to maneuver out of tight spaces. But the things they did weren't all that exciting imo. And because of that, it's difficult for me to eulagize over them.

Just wanna say, they're amazing, incredible players. Two of the best midfielders I've ever seen, but they're just not my cup of tea.

All that stored-up jizz is eating away at your brain.

I rubbed one out in your honor, mate. Still sticking with it.