Rangers 1 - 1 Newcastle United - pretend you know how it went from page 18

Decky

you're right about the 5th season mind, iirc we didn't win a game or something

Didn't we get beat off Leeds?

Yep... We were woeful that day... Especially FF in goal...

Wasn't that the start of bartons demise? Getting jealous because cabaye got to take the corners?

you're right about the 5th season mind, iirc we didn't win a game or something

Didn't we get beat off Leeds?

Yep... We were woeful that day... Especially FF in goal...

Wasn't that the start of bartons demise? Getting jealous because cabaye got to take the corners?

Yes he went into Twitter meltdown after the game.  Cabaye's set pieces were excellent as well!

Highlights were depressing. Terrible mistake gifted us the goal. Only a couple of hightlights involved us attacking.

Debuchy's shot was class.

the highlights were edited by rangers though :)

Does anyone else get the feeling that the only problem Pardew recognised from last season was the lack of strikers? Now he seems to think everything will go smoothly once we sign a couple players upfront.

I'd love to see a manager who had a vision of how the game should be played and would instruct the players based on that. Do we try to keep the ball on the floor and stay in posession? Do we try to counterattack with pace? Do we concentrate on punting it long to our strikers? It's just a mess of everything without any playing identity. They don't seem to have a clear idea what they should do when they get the ball or where they should move when they dont have the ball. Just relying on the individual brilliance of a couple players who are cabable of creating something. Depressing.

good post, and as regards the bit in bold his formula for success when we finished 5th was based on little else than ba and cisse scoring goals out of nothing, so yes i'd tend to agree with you

Think he's hoping Remy will provide the goals out of nothing/'moments of magic' this year.

Pardew says Remy "brings spontaneous kind of finish we lacked at times last year.

http://i.qkme.me/3vg5d9.jpg

here brett, just as a little aside to us overreacting to a 1-1 draw with rangers i was just reading about liverpool's pre-season...if you recall they finished 7th and had a good end to the season including a summary execution of another team on their own ground

rodgers wanted to ensure they started the season well so ran them into the ground in training, gerrard commenting it was some of the most difficult pre-season training he's ever had, and they've played 6, won 6, conceded 1 and scored 17 goals

take a moment to compare that to our pre-season preparations and results...we only guaranteed safety in game 37 of the season

it's things like this that has people like me so against pardew

Guest neesy111

Our preseason preparation has been good, the players have been run into the ground and it's been overseen by Downey who's brought in a speed and power programme. We've also played very well at times, apparently.

We've also played shite teams. 

results suggest we're not scoring goals still, against s**** teams, that should worry anyone man 'cause we can't score enough goals in the PL

I think it's fair to say though that everyone is aware we needed a couple of strikers. I think if we'd had remy and gomis say, ten wed probably have bagged a few more.

no i'm aware, and cisse wasn't playing in a lot of our games but then liverpool have been without suarez, as an example, yet have bagged 17 goals

i dunno man, it's all mitigation and excuses with pardew because he can't put a team on the park to go out and just fucking beat the opposition :lol:

I would imagine that for most clubs, pre-season aims are along the lines of (in no particular order):

1. Improve core fitness.*

2. Gain confidence.

3. Work on new ideas.

4. Integrate new players.

5. Avoid injuries.

*TBC

:celb:

I would imagine that for most clubs, pre-season aims are along the lines of (in no particular order):

1. Improve core fitness.*

2. Gain confidence.

3. Work on new ideas.

4. Integrate new players.

5. Avoid injuries.

*TBC

:celb:

I know that's tongue in cheek but there's nowt to suggest yet that confidence and new ideas haven't been worked on?

Same formations and selections right up to most recent game. Same old performance according to the people who were there. :dontknow:

Shola scoring most of the goals tells its own story IMO, but you're right. We'll see.

:lol:

this is it man, what i'm saying with pardew is i want him to show some signs that he can succeed in the face of adversity...he failed so spectacularly at this last season it was embarrassing, so i wanted to see a reaction from him this summer, a reaction like rodgers has shown at liverpool because he knows he's under pressure to improve this season

i get none of that with pardew, i'd maybe take a punt that he was sitting it out waiting for the sack and payoff

Same formations and selections right up to most recent game. Same old performance according to the people who were there. :dontknow:

Shola scoring most of the goals tells its own story IMO, but you're right. We'll see.

Formations I agree, and it's annoying as fuck. But we've heard players talk about having much better pre season, working on retaining possession a lot more. There's been so little coverage of games that we can't really judge for ourselves, maybe today will give us an idea.

As for goals, we need/needed a couple of strikers. We absolutely must get one more in.

To be fair to Pardew (for some reason), he's just another NUFC manager that's been fucked over by the hierarchy above him. He's sticking with what he thinks will produce good results, even if it often didn't last season. Downey aside he's been given absolutely nothing new to work with.

To be fair to Pardew (for some reason), he's just another NUFC manager that's been f***ed over by the hierarchy above him. He's sticking with what he thinks will produce good results, even if it often didn't last season. Downey aside he's been given absolutely nothing new to work with.

Thats a good point. I think it's easy to forget too. Look at laudrup kicking off six or seven weeks ago about players, they've since signed 5? Would never happen here. That's why we will never get a top manager under Ashley.

As for goals, we need/needed a couple of strikers. We absolutely must get one more in.

but why couldn't he get goals with HBA, marveaux, debuchy, campbell, cisse (later), cabaye, sissoko, gouffran, santon, anita against poor opposition? 

don't tell me there's not goals enough there to see of rangers and the tripe we've been playing....note i didn't mention goal machine shola either

To be fair to Pardew (for some reason), he's just another NUFC manager that's been f***ed over by the hierarchy above him. He's sticking with what he thinks will produce good results, even if it often didn't last season. Downey aside he's been given absolutely nothing new to work with.

Thats a good point. I think it's easy to forget too. Look at laudrup kicking off six or seven weeks ago about players, they've since signed 5? Would never happen here. That's why we will never get a top manager under Ashley.

It's just the same basic principle as last summer - and pretty much everything to do with the club these days - Ashley thinks he knows better than everyone else involved in football. Last summer we'd just finished 5th; there was no need to invest as we'd obviously be able to repeat it by default. This summer we've just finished 16th; there's no need to invest as we'll obviously be able to do much better by default. He and the odious people he employs to do his dirty work think they will win every gamble they make.

Will we be better? Probably, it's hard to imagine us being as bad or worse. Is simply being better than 16th good enough for NUFC? Absolutely not.

but why couldn't he get goals with HBA, marveaux, debuchy, campbell, cisse (later), cabaye, sissoko, gouffran, santon, anita against poor opposition? 

don't tell me there's not goals enough there to see of rangers and the tripe we've been playing....note i didn't mention goal machine shola either

Well, two things about rangers, I didn't see it so I've no idea how we played or how many chances we created. But against that opposition, I don't care who is the manager, the players should have enough to go out and do the job in all fairness.  :undecided: