Rangers 1 - 1 Newcastle United - pretend you know how it went from page 18

Decky

Guest icemanblue

The despair for me is when I hear things like "Sissoko on the wing" , "Jonas was really poor" and "we were hitting it long from the keeper" That worrying tells me it's just a continuation of last season with the same old mistakes being made.

Doesn't actually sound as if he was on the wing, like, according to someone who was there.

It's a preseason game against a group of players who were probably treating it like a cup final. Most important thing is that we don't appear to have got any injuries.

The despair for me is when I hear things like "Sissoko on the wing" , "Jonas was really poor" and "we were hitting it long from the keeper" That worrying tells me it's just a continuation of last season with the same old mistakes being made.

Doesn't actually sound as if he was on the wing, like, according to someone who was there.

It's a preseason game against a group of players who were probably treating it like a cup final. Most important thing is that we don't appear to have got any injuries.

Not really. If we had a clear playing indentity and everyone knew what they were doing we'd be dominating games like this with ease even without putting 100% effort. We just don't have that and it's very worrying two weeks before season starts. Can't put this crap down to bedding new players in either...

It should be about more than getting fit and not getting injured at this point. Same old same old...

Guest icemanblue

Couldn't give a shit, mate. :thup: I'll wait until the proper football starts before letting the tears flow.

Guest alijmitchell

No doubt about it, Rangers were definitely more up for it. The intensity of the game surprised a few of ours, Sissoko was carded for raising his hands, Cabaye managed to get everyone in the stadium to hate him, putting in reckless challenges out of frustration.

As for the hitting it long thing, it happened more second half from what I could see, there were times Debuchy was screaming for it to be passed out and Elliot was doing the kind of 'launch it' hand gestures that Krul was doing last season. Elliots kicking wasn't very good either

On the plus side, we varied our corners a lot in the first (Cabaye taking), we had 2 floaters, one to the outside of the box which debuchy volleyed (and almost scored), one which arrived at nothing, and a couple of flatter corners that weren't really attacked. The second half (Marv taking) we hit a couple floaters, another flatter one, and one into the centre of the 18 yard box that could only be described as 'in the mixer'.

Well i certainly wish i hadn't read back over this thread, some cringe worthy over the top posting, should have expected it to be fair. A heavy defeat against City and I can see some writing off the season (if they haven’t already after last night’s fatal performance).

This was a canny post though:

Im calling a 90th minute equaliser from Shola

I like things like that  :clap:

Couldn't give a s***, mate. :thup: I'll wait until the proper football starts before letting the tears flow.

Yeah I'm not fussed about the result. We've had cracking pre-seasons before and gone on to have a terrible season.

My main worry about our pre-season is that (going from reports/live updates) we haven't changed a thing tactics-wise, despite our abysmal season.  We're still playing players out of position and Shola/Jonas (albeit he had a good game according to reports from yesterday) are still seen as major players. 

We're probably still going to attempt the Long-Tayl/Willy for every set piece. :lol:

Well i certainly wish i hadn't read back over this thread, some cringe worthy over the top posting, should have expected it to be fair. A heavy defeat against City and I can see some writing off the season (if they haven’t already after last night’s fatal performance).

In what way? People being rightly annoyed that the failures and rudimentary problems of last season not being  addressed? That we are continuing to use players in wrong positions so close to the start of a new season?

Yesterday all positive posts, we are going to do well, we've got Remy, our front 3 is fantastic, and our team looks exciting. Comes to the match and everyone is back on the sack Pardew trail again before the season has even kicked off. All of these comments are from people who have only been refreshing twitter for Lee Ryder updates i must add so have actually no clue to what has actually been happening in between a 30 yard Cabaye effort and a monster tackle from Debuchy for instance. Baffling to draw such conclusions on tactics or the style of play we were using when you haven’t even watched the game yourself or let alone listened to it.

In what way? People being rightly annoyed that the failures and rudimentary problems of last season not being  addressed? That we are continuing to use players in wrong positions so close to the start of a new season?

Yesterday all positive posts, we are going to do well, we've got Remy, our front 3 is fantastic, and our team looks exciting. Comes to the match and everyone is back on the sack Pardew trail again before the season has even kicked off. All of these comments are from people who have only been refreshing twitter for Lee Ryder updates i must add so have actually no clue to what has actually been happening in between a 30 yard Cabaye effort and a monster tackle from Debuchy for instance. Baffling to draw such conclusions on tactics or the style of play we were using when you haven’t even watched the game yourself or let alone listened to it.

Just back in from the game.  With our so called "purple" players on we were terrible.  We have started exactly how we left off last season, bereft of ideas, no service, poor defending from the wings.

Got better towards middle of second half when the so called younger/squad players were brought on.

I'm convinced no matter who we bring in player wise we will be as poor with this current coaching/manager set up.

Tonight was depressing.

Pardew deserves alot of flack, but holy crap..........so do the players.

EVEN IF Sissoka is played on RM, he should be skinning these buggers all day.

EVEN IF Ben Arfa is played in the hole, he should be having an absolute field day.

Really dont see any players getting any heat, which is shocking. You could play Colo as the lone striker and we should still be beating a low division Scottish side.

Er, apart from the people who were there?

Well i'm guessing they can't be many on here who were when the questions ‘was Sissoko exclusively on the right wing’ still hasn't been conclusively answered by anyone on here who was at the match. I'm still not convinced and I’m not drawing conclusions to that because i've never seen the game, he may well have had spells out wide, he may well have been there full time, i don't know but just because he bombs down the right and puts a cross in, doesn't tell me he's played right wing for full game.

Well i'm guessing they can't be many on here who were when the questions ‘was Sissoko exclusively on the right wing’ still hasn't been conclusively answered by anyone on here who was at the match. I'm still not convinced and I’m not drawing conclusions to that because i've never seen the game, he may well have had spells out wide, he may well have been there full time, i don't know but just because he bombs down the right and puts a cross in, doesn't tell me he's played right wing for full game.

There were a couple of people who were there. Everyone else, as you say, is going mad over the negativity as usual. You will get stick but you're absolutely right.

Have to admit though, it's worrying if Pardew thinks this 4-2-3-1 is the long-term solution.

you're not allowed man, it's just negativity, nothing is relevant until it's too late for some people...happened last year:

person a) we could get relegated for the following reasons

person b) don't be stupid, that's never going to happen for no reason whatsoever

repeat right up until game 36 of the season when the penny drops

same people can't see we need to change, we need to score goals and create fucking chances against garbage like rangers....so fuck if they were up for it, like man city and west ham won't be up for it?

I don't understand how people can defend it when, even if we didn't see the game yesterday, most people know exactly how Pardew has them set up anyway considering we sat through 38 games of it last season.  It's so depressingly obvious that nothing has changed whether the season has started or not.

As Ian says about the 4-2-3-1, it's not the answer and not going to look any better the more he plays it. 

you're not allowed man, it's just negativity, nothing is relevant until it's too late for some people...happened last year:

person b) don't be stupid, that's never going to happen for no reason whatsoever

same people can't see we need to change, we need to score goals and create fucking chances against garbage like rangers....so fuck if they were up for it, like man city and west ham won't be up for it?

Everyone can see the problems, but some people can also see the positives. Somehow taking the hyper-negative view has somehow become cooler and more acceptable than any other position. I guess it's natural that a forum will be used by people to pour out their worries.

I don't think you'll find anyone on this place who hasn't admitted problems, and expressed worries about Pardew etc.

Guest icemanblue

What's up with Ben Arfa for those who were there? Did he look in any condition to start the season?

Did Sissoko play wide right with Ben Arfa inside?

Ben Arfa didn't look very sharp tbh apart from one shot from about 35 yards that flew inches over. As for positions, I honestly don't think anyone knew what was going on tonight, but from what I saw, Ben Arfa played the majority of the game cutting in from the right and Sissoko tried to pop up everywhere - even left occasionally. For large parts of the 2nd half, Siss was in the target man role when Elliot was hitting it forward, to win the headers I guess.

There you go. Seems to have been missed. Sounds quite a fluid allocation of positions, which of course would never happen.

He didn't play exclusively right wing, he played target man for long spells in the second half. That's according to someone who was there and posted it in this thread.

Guest neesy111

Everyone can see the problems, but some people can also see the positives. Somehow taking the hyper-negative view has somehow become cooler and more acceptable than any other position. I guess it's natural that a forum will be used by people to pour out their worries.

I don't think you'll find anyone on this place who hasn't admitted problems, and expressed worries about Pardew etc.

What are the positives then?

No injuries?