Manchester City vs. Newcastle United - 19/08/13 @ 8pm (Sky Sports 1)

Elliottman
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest bimpy474

Agreed. Colo is a bloody good player and what he lacks in pace he usually makes up in intelligence.

Not when we play a high line he doesn't. He doesn't stand a chance in that position against quick strikers.

Hence W.B.A and Shane Long tearing him a new one. We simply dont play a high line, you can press without having to use a high line.

Agreed. Colo is a bloody good player and what he lacks in pace he usually makes up in intelligence.

Not when we play a high line he doesn't. He doesn't stand a chance in that position against quick strikers.

Wouldn't having Mapou's pace in the back 4 negate that though?

Guest bimpy474

Well it didn't work against Liverpool did it. That was a suicidal high line. In theory it might work but with no cover in front of them it's a mad thing to do.

No. We had plenty of pace in the full back areas when we were exposed by the high line in the past.

Guest bimpy474

Playing a high line in modern football is not a good thing at the moment. There too many pacy counter attacking teams now, with clever players, we would get counter attacked to smithereens.

Defend the edge of your box, win it back and keep it, counter attack yourselves. And not hoof it toward a lone forward 40 yards away competing with two CB who just nod it down, repeat cycle.

Well it didn't work against Liverpool did it. That was a suicidal high line. In theory it might work but with no cover in front of them it's a mad thing to do.

You have to press the ball properly, its suicide otherwise i agree.

Problem is when we have used a high line before we have put no pressure on the player in possession.

There is nothing wrong with a high line, in fact if anything it makes it easier to create chances. But you need to press the ball properly.

Nothing to do with pace really, plenty of teams use it effectively without quick CBs.

Not like Pardew would do it anyway, but its an very effective way of playing when done right and we definitely have the players for it.

A high line is fine if we press high enough to make the opposition half of the pitch compact. You also need to have your keeper ready to move off his line as well though which is not something Krul is encouraged to do.

Guest bimpy474

A high line is fine if we press high enough to make the opposition half of the pitch compact. You also need to have your keeper ready to move off his line as well though which is not something Krul is encouraged to do.

Krul's kicking is awful, which doesn't help with him sweeping up.

High line against  City would be suicide imo. We aren't organised enough to play it and  Pellegrini is savvy enough to recognise it and punish us severely for it.

Not saying we do it, because Pardew doesn't know how to do it effectively. Just saying we have the players for it but not the manager who is savvy enough to see it.

Also City's team is mostly technical more than pace (Navas aside) if you are going to get away with it against any big team in the league its probably them.

At 7PM when the teams are announced every one will feel suicidal when they see Elliott starting. Then they'll notice Jonas starting. Then they'll notice Ameobi starting...

http://iliketowastemytime.com/sites/default/files/best_animated_gif_nuclear_explosion.gif

At 7PM when the teams are announced every one will feel suicidal when they see Elliott starting. Then they'll notice Jonas starting. Then they'll notice Ameobi starting...

http://iliketowastemytime.com/sites/default/files/best_animated_gif_nuclear_explosion.gif

:lol: Shola right wing TBH

Shola LW, Sammy RW, so they can cut inside. No strikers. It'll be called the False-11 and Pardew will be knighted for services to football.

Guest bimpy474

High line against  City would be suicide imo. We aren't organised enough to play it and  Pellegrini is savvy enough to recognise it and punish us severely for it.

Not saying we do it, because Pardew doesn't know how to do it effectively. Just saying we have the players for it but not the manager who is savvy enough to see it.

Also City's team is mostly technical more than pace (Navas aside) if you are going to get away with it against any big team in the league its probably them.

Yeah, I agree , I don't think its a bad thing when implemented correctly but we certainly wont do that. It's failed when we've tried it before, take your point on City though. The gap in coaching expertise is what worries me the most about tonight tbh

As I have witnessed too many times, Agüero does know how to take the p*ss of a high defence line too.

Yeah, I agree , I don't think its a bad thing when implemented correctly but we certainly wont do that. It's failed when we've tried it before, take your point on City though. The gap in coaching expertise is what worries me the most about tonight tbh

As I have witnessed too many times, Agüero does know how to take the p*ss of a high defence line too.

Thankfully I think he'll be on the bench tonight.

Guest icemanblue

Luckily I don't think aguero is fit enough to start. Think it'll be Negredo supported by Navas, silva and jovetic.

Oh, that's lucky.

Luckily I don't think aguero is fit enough to start. Think it'll be Negredo supported by Navas, silva and jovetic.

Oh, that's lucky.

If anything that might be worse, considering the lack of height in the defense. :lol:

At least they aren't adapted to the league yet. Silver lining.

Today begins the first season that I will miss all of, since 1993/94, when I was 4 years old - having just moved to China. Because of the bloody time, unlike the other matches, I will be in bed for it all - it's 7 hours ahead here and I have to be up at 7. Can't say I'm too gutted about missing this particular match though, or eager for checking the score tonight.