The Battle For More Points than 2010/11 - SUCCESS!

Taylor Swift

We've established a great platform now. No fear, nothing to loose, everything to play for with the other sides struggling.

We have the foundations of a very capable squad, in need of another striker and maybe a more creative winger (imagine if we'd gotten Thauvin as well).

The key will be to remain brave and positive like yesterday. Press teams high, be flexible in varying 442/433, and get someone to take some of the burden off Rémy in terms of goalscoring. We should push top 6 if that happens.

Fulham up a place on gd today. Everton missed the chance to go 5th. No change after the Swansea v Hull draw.

Rolling League Table

(Cardiff = Wigan, Hull = Reading, Crystal Palace = QPR)

CLUB.....................................Gd................Pts................Difference (Pts compared to 2012-13)

Manchester City....................+52...............82.....................4

Tottenham Hotspur...............+12...............74.....................2

Manchester United................+28...............73....................-16

Chelsea.................................+27...............72.....................-3

Arsenal..................................+33...............70.....................-3

Everton.................................+21...............68.....................5

Liverpool...............................+29...............66.....................5

Aston Villa.............................-5..................50.....................9

NEWCASTLE UNITED.............-13................50.....................9

Southampton........................-1.................49.....................8

Norwich City..........................-22................48....................3

Stoke City.............................-7..................47.....................5

WBA......................................-6..................44....................-5

Fulham..................................-10................42.....................-1

Swansea...............................-11................42.....................-4

West Ham.............................-15................39.....................-7

Sunderland...........................-20.................36....................-3

Cardiff City............................-28................36.....................0

Hull City.................................-24................33.....................5

Crystal Palace.......................-35.................21....................-4

Looking at Southampton's next 5 games they could drop a fair bit, hope we can beat them and Palace leading into home games against Stoke and Arsenal. Or at least get 4 points from them two and 3 from next 2. Would put us in good shape if we have 33 points on Jan 1st and probably put us around 7th

BIG IF, we can get 9 additional points in December, that would essentially mean we are completely safe (not that there is really any question now IMO) and also very much in contention for 4th to 6th still.

A couple of players in Jan and I think we can really attack the second half of the season with no fear what so ever - who knows where that could leave us.  With the exception of Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton, the remaining teams in the top 7 are all currently running hot and cold.

BIG IF, we can get 9 additional points in December, that would essentially mean we are completely safe (not that there is really any question now IMO) and also very much in contention for 4th to 6th still.

A couple of players in Jan and I think we can really attack the second half of the season with no fear what so ever - who knows where that could leave us.  With the exception of Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton, the remaining teams in the top 7 are all currently running hot and cold.

I think that's the key to make sure we are safe or around the 33 - 35 point mark and then just let the shackles off and go for it, worst thing that could happen is we end up finishing around 12/13th - would rather have a go for 5 or 6 games and that happen rather than just trying to get through the season in top 10

We should have at the bare minimum 30 points at the halfway stage and that's being negative. Good platform to kick on with no pressure of relegation in the New Year.

Arsenal/City/Chelsea are nailed on for top three.

Fourth for me is whether Liverpool will tail off, Everton keep not getting beat, Spurs not gelling and whether we can keep playing smart football and avoid an injury to Remy.

Seems reckless to just disregard that other Manchester club completely. I agree about the three title contenders/top sides, though.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think Liverpool will tail off unless Suarez gets injured or suspended. I think it's between them and Man United for the CL because Rooney and RVP will get them there. I'd be surprised if Spurs end up there.

I've been saying it for a while, but I think another place or two should be opened to CL as qualifiers and just scrap the Europa League.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we go into our game against Arsenal with a shout of moving level/ahead of them. :lol:

Yes it is.

You're saying it's impossible that Arsenal won't lose to two of City, Chelsea and West Ham and that it's impossible we'll win two of Southampton, Palace and Stoke?

A couple of players in

This is what we were all thinking 18 months ago, having just finished 5th. A couple of really decent players and we were going places. But Ashley wouldn't spend and last season was a complete write off. Who expects him to spend in January? I don't. If there's transfer activity next month i doubt very much that it'll be incoming.

Arsenal/City/Chelsea are nailed on for top three.

Fourth for me is whether Liverpool will tail off, Everton keep not getting beat, Spurs not gelling and whether we can keep playing smart football and avoid an injury to Remy.

Seems reckless to just disregard that other Manchester club completely. I agree about the three title contenders/top sides, though.

Of course it is, don't know why I left them out. But there's nothing in their play to suggest they'll catch up with Everton or Liverpool atm. Spurs look more solid but are equally crippled going forward.

A couple of players in

This is what we were all thinking 18 months ago, having just finished 5th. A couple of really decent players and we were going places. But Ashley wouldn't spend and last season was a complete write off. Who expects him to spend in January? I don't. If there's transfer activity next month i doubt very much that it'll be incoming.

:thup: a case of rince and repeat unfortunately

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we go into our game against Arsenal with a shout of moving level/ahead of them. :lol:

Yes it is.

You're saying it's impossible that Arsenal won't lose to two of City, Chelsea and West Ham and that it's impossible we'll win two of Southampton, Palace and Stoke?

Yep.

Course it's possible, last thing they'd want after two defeats to their title rivals is playing West Ham and us of we're still in form which is very possible, within 2 days.

Liverpool, Everton, Spuds and I guess you can't write off Southampton could all get the 4th place.

I think it will be Liverpool, would love it to be us but the horrible little racist will see them get the top 4.