The Battle For More Points than 2010/11 - SUCCESS!

Taylor Swift

Carrying our good form through the holiday period (something we're traditionally horrible at) and some astute action in the January transfer market and this could genuinely be on, you know. Okay, I think everyone is expecting us to drop away quite quickly at some stage but we're right in the mix almost halfway into the season. Why not go for it?

Carrying our good form through the holiday period (something we're traditionally horrible at) and some astute action in the January transfer market and this could genuinely be on, you know. Okay, I think everyone is expecting us to drop away quite quickly at some stage but we're right in the mix almost halfway into the season. Why not go for it?

One of the early-season favourites may well have just put themselves out of the running, too.

Would love to see us go for it because 4th place is as achievable as it's been in donkeys. So is the title, fwiw, although that's almost definitely beyond us.

Guest palnese

I think there's a lot of reasons that 11/12 felt better. The unbeaten start is one factor. Pardew was still an unknown quantity who hadn't really had a bad run yet. Ashley looked like he was finally learning from his mistakes. The end of the season was incredible.

This season we know Pardew has his limitations. Ashley is a huge wanker and Kinnear is still floating about somewhere. Most of us don't believe Ashley wants to buy any players ever again. That's probably why it doesn't feel as good.

Very good post.

You just know we're never going to become a real force with Ashley.

Arsenal - lack a plan B and only one striker.

Man City - probably the only team playing as they should be (crap early away form excepted).

Chelsea - Mourinho not looking as invincible as he once was.

Liverpool - looking good tbf, but are they a flash in the pan?

Spurs - Sherwood appointment has the potential to be an absolute disaster.

Man United - Any further from the title pace and their season could really implode.

Everton - With all due respect, I don't particularly see them as our rivals.

Open as fuck.

Man City - probably the only team playing as they should be (crap early away form excepted).

Man United - Any further from the title pace and their season could really implode.

Open as f***.

Depends on our fitness and injuries we pick up in 2nd half of season. I think we will finish 7th or 8th. Surely your taking the piss about Everton :)

Open as f***.

Depends on our fitness and injuries we pick up in 2nd half of season. I think we will finish 7th or 8th. Surely your taking the p*ss about Everton :)

Everton are really extraordinary this season...and not only they should be highly considered for top 4, but I do believe with their two next home games they could have 40 points after 19 games and potentialy be first on the table on new years which would send a strong message...

They have lost only one game, that alone says a lot about that team.

Guest firetotheworks

It's a forum in-joke. At the start of the 11/12 season Neil (an Everton fan) said that he didn't see us as a rival. Obviously we ended up finishing above them.

Thats the key caveat, we need to sign someone. 2 would probably do it, with no departures. If we do that I genuinely think that we can challenge for a CL place. Spurs will be dicked now, Chelsea not looking formiddable. Everton will be the key one

Totally agree with the above.

If we were a bit more positive and made three purchases in the window, the most important being a decent striker (shane long/Gomis/D Jong) we could surely challenge. Would make a hell of a statement to the players, really would gee them up.

For me:

Shane long (2m), Ince (3m), young centre back.

Last night's result sees Man Utd move up to 2nd and Arsenal above Liverpool. We've only got 18 points to "defend" in the last 21 games between now and the end of the season so should see a bit improvement soon.

Rolling League Table

(Cardiff = Wigan, Hull = Reading, Crystal Palace = QPR)

CLUB.....................................Gd................Pts................Difference (Pts compared to 2012-13)

Manchester City....................+56...............84.....................6

Manchester United................+31...............73....................-16

Chelsea.................................+28...............73.....................-2

Tottenham Hotspur...............+6...............71.....................-1

Arsenal..................................+31...............70.....................-3

Liverpool...............................+34...............69.....................8

Everton.................................+21...............68.....................5

Southampton........................+1.................50.....................9

Stoke City.............................-4..................50.....................8

NEWCASTLE UNITED.............-13................48.....................7

Norwich City..........................-22................48....................3

Aston Villa.............................-10..................47.....................6

Swansea...............................-9................42.....................-4

Fulham..................................-13................42.....................-1

WBA......................................-9..................39....................-10

West Ham.............................-16................39.....................-7

Cardiff City............................-25................39.....................3

Sunderland...........................-20.................36....................-3

Hull City.................................-23................34.....................6

Crystal Palace.......................-39.................18....................-7

Imagine Hull City, Sunderland, and Southampton being WDW. We'd be league leaders right now. Fucking hell :lol:

Everything happens for a reason. :smug: I'd like to think the Mackems enabled us to finish 4th, after we bounced back from the defeat.