Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

‘another look at’ :lol:

We normally get to see him half a season if we’re lucky and he’s never improved the whole time.

My goodness :lol:

This is going to be the new coaching teams first full pre season at the club. If it doesn't improve things for him fitness wise and he is still never available then he will leave after next year.

Howe says in the article that he appreciates his professionalism and influence and so they are giving him an opportunity under their stewardship to see if they can get something more out of him, especially as he is a club home grown player that could be useful over the next few years if Europe is a possibility.

Why on Earth is this getting under people's skin so much?!

I just don't see the point in recruiting a replacement (for this particular role) when he's already here and there's basically no risk to the move. And I really think the character thing is underestimated. There'll be a good reason why every single manager Dummett has played under clearly loves him. 

Again with this stuff, I just think we clearly have a competent staff now - a competent staff that spend their whole working days thinking about and analysing these things, seeing Dummet when we don't. I think there's a better chance they're going to make a good decision than me or anyone here.

Instinctively I'm pretty neutral about it. He's obviously not great and is injury prone, but he's alright. Don't really give a shit apart from it's nice to have him as a geordie (and I've played against him so I like having him there as a claim to fame when I meet toon fans over here).

I don't see many people as being fit to judge Eddie Howe just now...

I'm raising an eyebrow, but more than happy to just sit back and watch how all this plays out. Nothing more required.

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

Comments on here man. Delusions of grandeur already ?

It's pretty disappointing man. But I guess this is just how things transpire when clubs get new owners with money.

I do think these owners are going to be more strategic and patient with things as they have said from the very outset, and so it's only going to get worse this summer, and so we can look forward to that I guess.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

I don't see many people as being fit to judge Eddie Howe just now...

I'm raising an eyebrow, but more than happy to just sit back and watch how all this plays out. Nothing more required.

Yeah, exactly this.

3 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Comments on here man. Delusions of grandeur already ?

It’s delusional to think Dummett isn’t good enough for any PL team in 2022?

As I said regarding Wood, I’d be disappointed to be clinging onto Dummett if Ashley was still here. It’s a crap decision and people are entitled to call a cat a cat.

We don’t need to pretend every decision the owners/Howe make are undeniably excellent. 

30 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Care to explain why this is a anything but a shite decision?

If that’s the case why are we keeping the shittest and most injury prone one of those five?

He's a squad player. Nothing more nothing less. It's not a big deal. 

21 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Reliable, he plays about 1 game a season and he’s utter shit :lol:

He'll only have to play 1 game a season, man. He's there to pack out the squad.

Honestly it just looks completely stupid when a bunch of laymen start going overboard about the decisions of managers who clearly know what they're doing. If it was Bruce I'd get it, but Howe's shown he understands his squad now 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

So if we let Dummett go, who do we replace him with? A kid from the U21s?

You might think, "well we could just sign someone," but then I'd ask who? We already have a list of priorities for the summer and not an unlimited budget.

Also, I've heard a few "well let Dummett go and keep Manquillo or Lewis", but I'd argue the reason why we MUST sell one of those players is because we can get a transfer fee for those players.

8 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It’s delusional to think Dummett isn’t good enough for any PL team in 2022?

As I said regarding Wood, I’d be disappointed to be clinging onto Dummett if Ashley was still here. It’s a crap decision and people are entitled to call a cat a cat.

We don’t need to pretend every decision the owners/Howe make are undeniably excellent. 

You have absolutely no idea whether it's a crap decition or not though :lol:

We all like to play armchair footy manager like but it doesn't really work when the man in charge is actually good at his job.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He'll only have to play 1 game a season, man. He's there to pack out the squad.

Honestly it just looks completely stupid when a bunch of laymen start going overboard about the decisions of managers who clearly know what yhey're doing. If it was Bruce I'd get it, but Howe's shown he understands his squad now 

100%

If we can't trust Howe to manage the squad, well....

That's not to say people aren't allowed an opinion, just that their opinions need to be caveated with the knowledge the Eddie Howe and his coaching staff have a better grip on the situation than they do.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Fanny won't rest til we've got '98 Lizarazu warming the bench. 

Just a player who is competent and fit enough to be relied upon when they’re needed would be fine.

Krafth, who looked a bag of shite under Bruce, looks like he could do that job and as a result I’m happy for him to stay around and play that role.

Dummett can’t. I’m not asking for the world, but would rather we don’t use up a squad place on someone who is a) proven crap over a long period and b) injured for 3/4s of the season. 

I’d get rid of Darlow, Dummett, Lewis, Clark, Hayden, Ritchie, Gayle. Replacing those with decent players would be enough to see us advance to the next step. 1-3 in the Bruno/Trippier (quality) standard, probably a CB, Winger and Striker and then the rest in the Burn (steady improvement) bracket would be fine.

Players like Lascelles, Krafth, Murphy, Longstaff, Wood, Fraser, Miggy all need replacing too but we may as well kick out the shitest lot, replace with quality and demote the above down a squad place as they’re ultimately better back up players than we have now.

It’s all opinions. But I’d be happy with that as summer business to be honest.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

100%

If we can't trust Howe to manage the squad, well....

That's not to say people aren't allowed an opinion, just that their opinions need to be caveated with the knowledge the Eddie Howe and his coaching staff have a better grip on the situation than they do.

We should all sit back and relax. Amazed people get wound up by stuff like this still with these guys in charge. Same with transfer rumours, just enjoy it and let them crack on. They know what they’re doing. 

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

You have absolutely no idea whether it's a crap decition or not though :lol:

We all like to play armchair footy manager like but it doesn't really work when the man in charge is actually good at his job.

I though Wood was a ‘dreadful’ signing and I was right. I thought the same about Targett and was wrong.

Maybe I’ll be right about this, maybe I won’t. But everyone is entitled to their opinion and that’s the point of the discussion.

People need to realise were not going to be replacing our entire squad in one season, Dummett is solid enough to be third choice LB and can cover CB if we're absolutely desperate, he's clearly got something about him in the dressing room, and he's also probably on cheap wages, plus it's only a years contract, it's a bit 'meh' but makes perfect sense, hardly worth the fume.

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I though Wood was a ‘dreadful’ signing and I was right. I thought the same about Targett and was wrong.

Maybe I’ll be right about this, maybe I won’t. But everyone is entitled to their opinion and that’s the point of the discussion.

Wood has been a decent signing, providing your only metric for success isn't goals.

Had we not signed him, we would have had at least half a dozen fewer points IMO.

We both know he's no long term solution.

Just now, STM said:

Wood has been a decent signing, providing your only metric for success isn't goals.

Had we not signed him, we would have had at least half a dozen fewer points IMO.

The thing with Wood is you can say what you like about the signing, so long as you come up with a plausible alternative from that time. I haven't heard many, but would be happy to.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I won’t go over this again but I’m not sure any metric provides a positive for him. Doesn’t score, doesn’t assist, doesn’t create chances, doesn’t pass, doesn’t successfully have a first touch. There’s a reason he’s been dropped.

Also disagree on the points - we could’ve signed any big lump up front and got the same results.

But I’ll leave that there before we go down another black hole :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I'm just saying massively OTT reactions look daft when things are going well under a manager who knows what he's doing. I'm not saying Howe is 100% right here at all.

It was hot take central under Pardew on here but that was absolutely fine because he deserved his every decision questioned with extreme prejudice.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm just saying massively OTT reactions look daft when things are going well under a manager who knows what he's doing. I'm not saying Howe is 100% right here at all.

It was hot take central under Pardew on here but that was absolutely fine because he deserved his every decision questioned with extreme prejudice.

I don’t think anyone is being massively OTT. It’s a fairly straightforward discussion and people just saying it’s a crap move?

If people were saying we’ll be fighting relegation again, or the owners/Howe need booting, aye - massively OTT.