John Beresford

nufcjb

Bez was fckin class...we had the second best defence in the league while playing total football.  Playing like that your full backs will get exposed and centre backs will be exposed.  give me that anyday of the weem over allerdyce...pardew and steve bruce set ups

Guest reefatoon

I'm not intent on bashing anyone, I just didn't think Bez was that good. Great days as a team obviously, but he wasn't anything special.

You my friend get more and more bizarre by the day.  Pro Pardew and anti Beresford . . . . You are a loony tune.

Are you serious? You can't be.

You just have a very strange grasp on the game of football. Bez did a cracking job for us. "He wasn't that good"??  Absolutely baffling.

Happy birthday Bez!!!

The best LB we had in the happy days..

can't think of any who has replaced him better apart from Santon and Enrique O0

Beresford was a far better defender than Santon is - Enrique was a better defender than Beresford but not as good coming forward.

I'm not intent on bashing anyone, I just didn't think Bez was that good. Great days as a team obviously, but he wasn't anything special.

You my friend get more and more bizarre by the day.  Pro Pardew and anti Beresford . . . . You are a loony tune.

You just have a very strange grasp on the game of football. Bez did a cracking job for us. "He wasn't that good"??  Absolutely baffling.

I'm definitely not the only person who didn't rate Beresford, you're just having a go for the sake of it.

Happy birthday Bez!!!

The best LB we had in the happy days..

can't think of any who has replaced him better apart from Santon and Enrique O0

Beresford was a far better defender than Santon is - Enrique was a better defender than Beresford but not as good coming forward.

IMO Bez wasn't really that good at coming forward either. Yes he did overlap and support the wide players but he usually just passed sideways at the end of it. He wasn't a great crosser so there wasn't much in the way of assists from what I can remember. A lot of hustle and bustle without much end product.

Guest reefatoon

I'm definitely not the only person who didn't rate Beresford, you're just having a go for the sake of it.

I wasn't having a go fella, you were the first person to say anything anti Beresford in the thread about him not being very good. Was just replying to that.

Brilliant bloke. Went out with him and Rob Lee for a few beers after the QPR championship game a few years ago. I had had far too much beer but he was still happy to talk about the Keegan era, how close they got to the title, how gutted they all were when Keegan left etc. for what seemed like hours, and I can't imagine I was the most sparkling conversation at that point.

For some reason I always remember Robbie Elliott with more fondness than John Beresford. That said, in those days I was lucky to get a few minutes of highlights per week on TV; the rest I had to read in the British Football Week newspaper

I always thought Peacock was underrated.  He improved a lot as his career with us went on.

True that..he was a quiet character and never got into too much (as far as I can remember)..

hope he has ambitions to get into a big job one day..maybe with one of the Football League sides..

*now wait for the younger fans to start bashing Peacock too... :knuppel2:

Guest reefatoon

I always thought Peacock was underrated.  He improved a lot as his career with us went on.

Totally agree. He won player of the season for us the year we nearly won it too in 95/96.  That took some going when you look at the players we had and how well they performed.  That season, he was fantastic.  He started a little slow, but turned into a quality defender for us.  Will be good to see both him and Bez playing in Harper's testimonial.

Guest bendewar

he's still a canny player.

Played in a charity match i played in. Played in the middle and he's still got a beauty left peg on him.

Rob Lee played too, he was shit.

I refereed his son a few year ago and he was watching. It was down Blackpool at a tournement and I suppose the last thing he expected was a conversation with a Newcastle fan but he had some good crack and was happy enough to chat. His son must be around 16 now, he was class for his age group at 12/13 and if he has kept up his progress he'll be a pro. Billy Beresford - remember the name. In fact, just googled it and he's currently at Scunthorpe, probably didn't progress as much as I'd expected  :lol:

Good player for us and model pro who'd walk into our current team. Though I do remember him sometimes getting a bit of lighthearted stick at the time.  One away game in particular "Ah, Beresford, man!" became a kind of running gag catchphrase, epseically after a guy who'd been moaning about Beresford most of the game shouted it after Barton lost the ball (any error thereafter by any player being greeted with "Howay man Beresford, not again!").  Don't think anyone actually thought he wasn't a good player, just in a very strong squad he had a reputation for dropping the odd clanger amongst some people.

Guest firetotheworks

I proper loved Bez, but once we got to the 95/96 season I thought he looked like a weak link. Having said that, I was like 11, so what did I know? It was probably Ginola's fault, but I defended him to a fault.