NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we could somehow get him for nowt and he just turned up at the training ground as a Newcastle player, I'd be like "sound." I'm not advocating we go out and sign him, as such. It doesn't matter anyway - it'll never happen. The point I was making is that I don't see anyone in the dressing room who's going to galvanise the rest of the squad into actually fighting for something.

Think that's a myth tbh, the whole caring and fighting bollocks anyway. Just think we haven't been good enough for a long time and an easy cop out is they don't care or up for it, when in reality IMO anyway is that they just haven't been good enough fullstop.

This unfortunately, and that doesn't just go for the playing squad sadly.

The none playing staff was actually the biggest area where we weren't good enough.

The three players from the big 3 in Holland that we have seem like leaders going by what they've done in the past and how Janmaat did here first season. Mitrovic from the cameo he showed on Saturday doesn't seem the type that will put up with any shit despite his young age. I don't think it's as bad as made out tbh.

As someone else said further up, a lot imo has been down to poor tactics and players simply not good enough rather than any lack of spirit.

Obviously I'm not gonna deny that the mismanagement has been wholesale for at least two and a half years; but you can't honestly sit there and say, after last season's disgusting run, that there wasn't a problem with the spirit of the squad. We need someone to keep the momentum up at pitch level once we've hit that 36 point mark. Maybe he's already in the squad, but as I say, I've no idea who it is.

Who were the leaders when we had our best season since finishing top 4?

We just had a group of very good players in form (Krul, Colo, Cabaye, HBA, Cisse, Ba...) playing very well and results took care of themselves.

Don't see why the likes of De Jong, Mbemba, Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, etc. can't emulate that.

I'm not saying they could reach top 6 because we were also helped along by the fact Chelsea had a relative stinker in the league and Liverpool were all over the place with Dalglish in charge but they could still do well.

Obviously I'm not gonna deny that the mismanagement has been wholesale for at least two and a half years; but you can't honestly sit there and say, after last season's disgusting run, that there wasn't a problem with the spirit of the squad. We need someone to keep the momentum up at pitch level once we've hit that 36 point mark. Maybe he's already in the squad, but as I say, I've no idea who it is.

The Dutch trio and our Dutch manager.

We just had a group of very good players in form (Krul, Colo, Cabaye, HBA, Cisse, Ba...) playing very well and results took care of themselves.

Don't see why the likes of De Jong, Mbemba, Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, etc. can't emulate that.

Depends what you mean by emulate that, because i don't particularly believe these players are as good as the previous ones.

I'm not saying they could reach top 6 because we were also helped along by the fact Chelsea had a relative stinker in the league and Liverpool were all over the place with Dalglish in charge but they could still do well.

The club wasn't relentlessly trying to not-succeed then, though. There was some momentum; we even signed a player without selling someone, with the intention if getting in the top 4. The club does not give a solitary shit these days and I fear it will filter down again.

Depends what you mean by emulate that, because i don't particularly believe these players are as good as the previous ones.

Could argue Mitrovic replaced Ba, Wijnaldum & Cabaye's reputations & achievements seem very similar, doubt anyone will emulate Ben Arfa but there's still comparisons to be made.

The club wasn't relentlessly trying to not-succeed then, though. There was some momentum; we even signed a player without selling someone, with the intention if getting in the top 4. The club does not give a solitary s*** these days and I fear it will filter down again

How much of the Cisse transfer was more to do with covering Ba's inevitable £7.5m clause being met?

:lol: Cba to go all meta - I just don't think that season can be used as a barometer for the mental status of the current squad. The bones of the club we have now were there - but it WAS operating differently at that point.

About 2 good years combined out of 8 if we're generous. (A spell under Keegan, half a season with Carroll to aim at and a half decent year in France), and people would have him back and still like him.  :'(

This.

Could argue Mitrovic replaced Ba, Wijnaldum & Cabaye's reputations & achievements seem very similar, doubt anyone will emulate Ben Arfa but there's still comparisons to be made.

That's the thing, he and Cisse looking like the Premier League's answer to Samuel fucking Eto'o :lol: was the difference between nearly qualifying for the CL and faltering to around 8th or 9th which is probably what would have happened otherwise.

Player recruitment simply not good enough as yet. I like the look of the 3 new players coming in but it's their usual risky strategy to rely on them completely for an upturn in form.

The Jetro Willems link came from one of the Dutch players at the club so there must be some truth in it. Whether that means he actually arrives is anyone's guess.