NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cala - CB mentioned at the end? Anyone know owt about him?

Aye - youngish (about 24) plying his trade with Sevilla at present but contract ends in the summer.  We've been linked with him and, to be fair, he looks to fit our blueprint perfectly.  Might be able to strike a bargain...

I don't understand why the Journal/Chronicle articles aren't focussed on why there should be no fucking reason whatsoever for us not to strengthen and debating the merits of our transfer policy rather than messing about trying to second guess our supposed transfer targets. The club has said they will not be revoking the ban, why not knock up some stuff with genuine feeling behind it? Ask some searching questions.

I don't understand why the Journal/Chronicle articles aren't focussed on why there should be no fucking reason whatsoever for us not to strengthen and debating the merits of our transfer policy rather than messing about trying to second guess our supposed transfer targets. The club has said they will not be revoking the ban, why not knock up some stuff with genuine feeling behind it? Ask some searching questions.

Had this conversation today. Blokes at work saw no reason to invest as we were safe but couldn't break into the top 4 or 5. The drip-feeding of "that'll do" coming from all aspects of the club has become ingrained. Top 8/9 is now universally regarded as a good season and job done.

The PR dept have worked wonders on our fans. 

aye right! not sure they even know how

I don't understand why the Journal/Chronicle articles aren't focussed on why there should be no f***ing reason whatsoever for us not to strengthen and debating the merits of our transfer policy rather than messing about trying to second guess our supposed transfer targets. The club has said they will not be revoking the ban, why not knock up some stuff with genuine feeling behind it? Ask some searching questions.

Had this conversation today. Blokes at work saw no reason to invest as we were safe but couldn't break into the top 4 or 5. The drip-feeding of "that'll do" coming from all aspects of the club has become ingrained. Top 8/9 is now universally regarded as a good season and job done.

maybe they are thinking "get a good deal if there is one but we aren't despearte like this time last year"

I don't understand why the Journal/Chronicle articles aren't focussed on why there should be no f***ing reason whatsoever for us not to strengthen and debating the merits of our transfer policy rather than messing about trying to second guess our supposed transfer targets. The club has said they will not be revoking the ban, why not knock up some stuff with genuine feeling behind it? Ask some searching questions.

maybe they are thinking "get a good deal if there is one but we aren't despearte like this time last year"

Granted but why can't they think "let's push on"? We treaded water in the summer so let's add a couple to bolster things and go for 5th or 6th? The money is surely there but the reluctance to invest modestly is more prevalent.

'That'll do' United Football Club.

Granted but why can't they think "let's push on"? We treaded water in the summer so let's add a couple to bolster things and go for 5th or 6th? The money is surely there but the reluctance to invest modestly is more prevalent.

i think they would for the right deals.

We are definitely going to need a lot of players in the Summer.  Cabaye is almost certain to be gone, Remy won't be here, Shola is not getting a contract, we know they want to move on Obertan and Marveaux and Jonas is not likely to return.  There remain doubts about Colo and there has been a lot of recent talk about Taylor moving on.  And what about Ben Arfa?  All of those players are part of the first team squad and will need to be replaced.  You would have though that the one thing they would have learnt from when we recruited the French players last January, was that they need a good few months to settle.  To have so many potential new arrivals in the Summer could cause a few problems.  It would make sense to get a couple in now to give them time to get used to the Premier League and a new country etc.

They have, but you have to face the fact also that many fans just want an excuse to keep getting their fortnightly dose of life-stimulant(and to get away from their other half) and acceptance of the club's propaganda means they don't have to justify spending money to support a lost cause....

We are definitely going to need a lot of players in the Summer.  Cabaye is almost certain to be gone, Remy won't be here, Shola is not getting a contract, we know they want to move on Obertan and Marveaux and Jonas is not likely to return.  There remain doubts about Colo and there has been a lot of recent talk about Taylor moving on.  And what about Ben Arfa?  All of those players are part of the first team squad and will need to be replaced.  You would have though that the one thing they would have learnt from when we recruited the French players last January, was that they need a good few months to settle.  To have so many potential new arrivals in the Summer could cause a few problems.  It would make sense to get a couple in now to give them time to get used to the Premier League and a new country etc.

You are right on the button and using logic but the conclusion has to be drawn that if there are no signings in this window, Ashley is prepared to accept the status quo....he is probably gambling that a takeover offer might be forthcoming in summer and therefore won't spend any money he doesn't need to.

If that is correct, it will be the task of new owners to try to sort out the mess.

i think they would for the right deals.

The problem is that what NUFC think are the 'right deals' are not what the selling club think...

I'm not in the newspaper business, but I have a feeling transfer rumors sell papers/get hits like nothing else. They won't sacrifice that for anything (not that I blame them since it's a dire industry).

I'm not in the newspaper business, but I have a feeling transfer rumors sell papers/get hits like nothing else. They won't sacrifice that for anything (not that I blame them since it's a dire industry).

Probably right.

Guest Roger Kint

Probably right.

Theres no excuse not to do both in that case, one pointless transfer article to help the easily led and a hard hitting story for everyone else to read

he is probably gambling that a takeover offer might be forthcoming in summer

anything in particular lead you to this conclusion?

Is there anything in particular that leads you to think he isn't..?

If he is prepared to gamble on any of our best players leaving right at the end of the window when we may not be able to secure decent replacements then that's probably what he's hoping for.

I would have thought that last season's dramatic fall away, requiring a desperate foray into the market last Jan in fear of relegation, would have been warning enough for most people ; also, genuinely top clubs secure their transfer targets before risking their own players leaving......Oh, wait.....