The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

I suppose if they're willing to continue doing the job then they're entitled to the money specified in the contract they signed.  Same as players.  It seems unfair on the club in cases like this, but not when they're making a fortune on selling a player with years left on his contract or getting decent compensation when their manager's poached.

I suppose if they're willing to continue doing the job then they're entitled to the money specified in the contract they signed.  Same as players.  It seems unfair on the club in cases like this, but not when they're making a fortune on selling a player with years left on his contract or getting decent compensation when their manager's poached.

Yeah I guess, but for example when I sign a contract it has a clause that says the client can terminate it if I am useless. I don't expect that exactly, but it seems so strange the amount of money people get when sacked. As Jack says though, suppose it's all relative.

Yeah I guess, but for example when I sign a contract it has a clause that says the client can terminate it if I am useless. I don't expect that exactly, but it seems so strange the amount of money people get when sacked. As Jack says though, suppose it's all relative.

You're not a footballer, I assume that companies don't try to tie you down for 4 years unless another company pays a multi-million pound transfer fee for you.

You're not a footballer, I assume that companies don't try to tie you down for 4 years unless another company pays a multi-million pound transfer fee for you.

Brave assumption, but you're right. But why does being tied down mean you shouldn't be able to be sacked? Personally, I would give my manager a notice period to leave if it meant I could sack him without a massive payoff.

Brave assumption, but you're right. But why does being tied down mean you shouldn't be able to be sacked? Personally, I would give my manager a notice period to leave if it meant I could sack him without a massive payoff.

It's all about the player and the club signing the contract, isn't it, so each side will leverage the conditions as best they can.  As things stand, players potentially sign a significant chunk of their career away and the same goes for managers.  Therefore if things swing the other way and the club want rid then the player or manager are allowed to claim the money they would have earned under the conditions they agreed.  All makes sense to me tbh, it's the same reason certain chancer managers are loathe to sign short deals but clubs still buckle and offer them longer ones - it's a result of the battle between the 2 sides when negotiating.

It's all about the player and the club signing the contract, isn't it, so each side will leverage the conditions as best they can.  As things stand, players potentially sign a significant chunk of their career away and the same goes for managers.  Therefore if things swing the other way they're allowed to claim what the money they would have earned under the conditions they agreed.  All makes sense to me tbh, it's the same reason certain chancer managers are loathe to sign short deals but clubs still buckle and offer them longer ones - it's a result of the battle between the 2 sides when negotiating.

Yeah, fair point, I'm just surprised that clubs don't protect themselves in some way. I guess they might do to a certain extent, if the £4.5m payoff rumour is correct.

Again though, the other side of that coin is that a player can sign a 5-year contract and be made to honour it even if he doesn't want to.  Doesn't really happen much now though, more of the power seems to be with the players.  Once they've persuaded a club to offer them a big contract they're quids in, unless there's gross misconduct or something.

It's all about the player and the club signing the contract, isn't it, so each side will leverage the conditions as best they can.  As things stand, players potentially sign a significant chunk of their career away and the same goes for managers.  Therefore if things swing the other way they're allowed to claim what the money they would have earned under the conditions they agreed.  All makes sense to me tbh, it's the same reason certain chancer managers are loathe to sign short deals but clubs still buckle and offer them longer ones - it's a result of the battle between the 2 sides when negotiating.

Yeah, fair point, I'm just surprised that clubs don't protect themselves in some way. I guess they might do to a certain extent, if the £4.5m payoff rumour is correct.

Aye, that clause would make sense like, but then again Man Utd are in a position to offer a contract like that to someone like David Moyes.  Many other clubs will have to agree to contracts that are not so well equipped for contingency situations, in order to get the man they're after.  Otherwise they have to move on I suppose.

I would say that Moyes would be ideally suited as Pardew's replacement but for one thing ; he hasn't been sacked enough times to be a candidate for Ashley and he will be financially independent. Ashley needs a puppet....

Otherwise, he suits - no major trophies so no distractions of Cup runs or fighting for CL places......

wow, convinced they were going to give him the summer.. but to be fair a lot of worrying signs that it still wont work and Ferguson constantly looking over his shoulder. Was never going to work. Reminds me of Hodgson at Liverpool.

Would bloody love Moyes here, not least if he can persuade Steve Round to return. Top coach. Think Moyes would take a year out though tbh.

Moyes would tick a lot of boxes for Ashley, Works on a tight budget , sells the better players. likes to do loan deals, seem to develop players from the clubs youth team. Top ten finisher, with no Europe or cup wins. Ashley Ideal Manager..

Moyes would tick a lot of boxes for Ashley, Works on a tight budget , sells the better players. likes to do loan deals, seem to develop players from the clubs youth team. Top ten finisher, with no Europe or cup wins. Ashley Ideal Manager..

Also one of the highest paid managers in the league...

Wasn't Moyes frustrated with the low budget at Everton and having to replace his better players when the big clubs come in? Can't see why he'd want to do that here and build a team up all over again only to encounter the same problems he did at Goodison. I'd love him here mind.

Wasn't Moyes frustrated with the low budget at Everton and having to replace his better players when the big clubs come in? Can't see why he'd want to do that here and build a team up all over again only to encounter the same problems he did at Goodison. I'd love him here mind.

Because one of the few clubs in the world where the above doesn't happen as much, he was out of his depth.