2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's about respecting the game. Cheating is an insult to the game of football. I think it's one of the biggest problems in football today; many managers, players, journalists, even fans don't respect the game; today it's about winning at any price. Is that what we want football to be reduced to? A game that's exclusively about winning or losing?

It's been like that for some time. You think the argies are losing sleep over the hand-of-god? I doubt it. I understand the desire for the game to be this pure entity that only benefits those who play it properly, but it's never been that way, even if it is admittedly more  commonplace nowadays for people to cheat/playact to win.

It's about respecting the game. Cheating is an insult to the game of football. I think it's one of the biggest problems in football today; many managers, players, journalists, even fans don't respect the game; today it's about winning at any price. Is that what we want football to be reduced to? A game that's exclusively about winning or losing?

In an ideal world no, but we don't live in one and won't. That's also why there are rules in football, why there are cards, so you can be punished. A tackle to break up a counter attack is also cheating then? Do we really want football where players can't come close to each other? It's all about taking advantage of the other team and beat them, and had Gyan scored no one would be talking about Suarez handball. He did what most intelligent players would do in that situation. That's my opinion.

How did we cheat in 1966?  Plus we won 4-2, wish everyone would stop prattling on about it.

I didn't watch the World Cup (since I wasn't alive), but it's considered by many to be the most blatant cheated World Cup in history. Dan has his charm but he also has a point. There's tons of occassions and not once can I remember a fan complaining of gaining advantage.

:lol: Just making things up now.  It may have been one of the most contentious decisions but we didn't cheat to get it.

I'm really not. This is what I've been told by most people who have been alive to see all of them. The '66 one and the '78 in Argentina (where the military junta controlled it all) were the two World Cup where I've been told that there was obvious cheating and bias towards the homeside. Like I've said, this is what I've read and been told. In 2002 we had South Korea gain advantage, but I'm sure those referees made the same abysmal decision in other games in that tournament as well.

:lol: How many people is that. So what was the obvious cheating in 66?

No mention of the handball in '86?

What about Grosso's dive in 2006?

You know what don't bother. This isn't about refereeing bias or incorrect refereeing decisions, it's a conversation about cheating.

In an ideal world no, but we don't live in one and won't. That's also why there are rules in football, why there are cards, so you can be punished. A tackle to break up a counter attack is also cheating then? Do we really want football where players can't come close to each other? It's all about taking advantage of the other team and beat them, and had Gyan scored no one would be talking about Suarez handball. He did what most intelligent players would do in that situation. That's my opinion.

Yeah, and he's a massive cunt for doing so.

To put this into context, a central defender for my sunday league team handled on the line to prevent the other team taking the lead in extra time of this seasons cup semi final. He was sent off and they missed the pen, we then won on penalties.

The defender is now being rewarded with player of the season & save of the season. We went on to lose the final however we had a great day. Cheats do prosper & the beer tasted no less sweet on cup final day.

No, tackles are allowed in football, and a big part of the game. Don't see your point there.

No, tackles are allowed in football, and a big part of the game. Don't see your point there.

He means a deliberate trip or shirt pull to break up the game.

Well, it's obviously something that has to be assessed in the given situation. Solskjaer's tackle on Rob Lee is a good example of a foul that should be severely punished. Don't remember what he got like (more than a red card).

Yeah, tackles where you get the ball. Not tackles where you don't, otherwise there wouldn't be punishments for it. So my point is that a last ditch tackle, handball, breaking up counter attacks, wasitng time are all illegal parts of the game and cheating as well then.

The polic crew are liars, that's what I say. Ball wasn't over the line in '66 but nee one gives a s*** about that, we won the world cup. Had we punched the ball off the line at some point and they missed the pen, we still would've won the world cup, and after 6 months had passed, that's all that people would remember.

The history books only show who won, not how they won. [/jerrythekinglawler]

If that's the case, why are you still talking about it alomst half a century later?

Absolutely woeful point. I know it happened and I am using it as an example of something that absolutely no-one in the UK considers as tarnishing our world cup win. It's a perfectly salient point, and I have little time to deal with s**** replies like this. If you've not got anything worthwhile to add, at least post a hilarious animated gif. Now jog on, shithouse.

:mackems:

Yeah, tackles where you get the ball. Not tackles where you don't, otherwise there wouldn't be punishments for it. So my point is that a last ditch tackle, handball, breaking up counter attacks, wasitng time are all illegal parts of the game and cheating as well then.

Yeah, tackles where a player intentionally takes out the player instead of the ball (see Solskjaer example) and intentional handball is cheating, that's correct. Time-wasting is more difficult to assess and I'm not sure what the rule book says tbh.

Petty theft and murder are both crimes, they're obviously at very different points on the scale though and they're punished accordingly.  Suarez definitely should have gone to prison like.

I like it :lol: The progression from making a serious point, realising you just can't do it, giving up, but ultimately deciding, "fuck it, I'll just post it anyway". This is a great place.

I thought your earlier post was a bit insulting, but it just turns out your definition of "intelligence" is just completely out of synch with reality.. :lol:

Yeah, tackles where a player intentionally takes out the player instead of the ball (see Solskjaer example) and intentional handball is cheating, that's correct. Time-wasting is more difficult to assess and I'm not sure what the rule book says tbh.

So is fouling a player in basketball as you're preventing someone from scoring. Jesus, what type of football is this that you want the world to see? We're going to have to agree to disagree. :thup:

So is fouling a player in basketball as you're preventing someone from scoring. Jesus, what type of football is this that you want the world to see? We're going to have to agree to disagree. :thup:

Basketball? Who's talking about basketball? :lol: Tackles should be made with the aim to get the ball, that's hardly controversial.

that terminology isn't defined in urbandictionary so im out

Invented by the one and only Brazilian on here. Probably going to put that shit up on urban dictionary.

Not necessarily.  Cheating requires an intention to break the rules to gain an unfair advantage.  You can foul without cheating.

Not necessarily.  Cheating requires an intention to break the rules to gain an unfair advantage.  You can foul without cheating.

Exactly.