2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BqCh440IIAA1RnD.jpg:large

Don't know too much about those two Chileans at centreback but Australia's main threat comes from getting early balls from deep on to Cahill's head. So as long as they're good in the air they'll have this one won pretty easily.

Mena is 5'9", Medel 5'7" :lol:

Had they nicked it I think it would have been a mild suprise, but to comletely take them apart in the 2nd half like they did with a defence and midfield that on paper are delightfully average in comparison to what Spain put out was fucking magic, even with the likes of Alonso and Xavi playing with no legs.

Aye but the commentator on the BBC was already mentioning a big shock being in the offing when Holland went 2-1 up. :lol:

BqCh440IIAA1RnD.jpg:large

Don't know too much about those two Chileans at centreback but Australia's main threat comes from getting early balls from deep on to Cahill's head. So as long as they're good in the air they'll have this one won pretty easily.

Mena won't play CB - he's a left wing back, it'll be Jara - he's a right back.

Spain have a very good generation of players, but historically we are the bigger footballing nation. Big shock my arse.

How many world cups you won compared to them? Thought 2010 was a battle of the two best teams that had never won it?

Spain have a very good generation of players, but historically we are the bigger footballing nation. Big shock my arse.

Decent game for a 1-0

Two good games - really open. When are Greece due to bring us down to Earth?

Holland will bring you back to earth in an hour or so.. 5 at the back :anguish:

:dog:

How many world cups you won compared to them? Thought 2010 was a battle of the two best teams that had never won it?

3 finals out of 19 editions. I would say we are punching above our weight and we are probably in the top 10 in the world historically. Before 2008 I don't think Spain were.. :dontknow:

Guest firetotheworks

Nah, until 2010 and possibly 2012 I would have agreed, but that alone put them ahead of anything you've ever done, regardless of how close you've got in the past.

Decent game for a 1-0

:lol: Right? That was today, ffs.

Nah, until 2010 and possibly 2012 I would have agreed, but that alone put them ahead of anything you've ever done, regardless of how close you've got in the past.

I don't dispute that, but big shock for fuck's sake. We are hardly minnows.

As if anyone couldn't fault Casillas for that first goal, man. He's in absolute no man's land. :lol:

He actually takes a step back before Van Persie adjusts his body, which tells you even he knows he's in the wrong place.

As if anyone couldn't fault Casillas for that first goal, man. He's in absolute no man's land. :lol:

He actually takes a step back before Van Persie adjusts his body, which tells you even he knows he's in the wrong place.

If you're in that starting position, for me, you need to come and clean everything out but I'm a mental forrin keeper.

Decent game for a 1-0

5-3-2 is a horrible system though. Hope we don't see it too much this WC.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't dispute that, but big shock for f***'s sake. We are hardly minnows.

Agreed. I wouldn't have called 2-1 or even 3-1 a shock, but beyond that and the way you did it was as impressive looking at Holland as it was a shock looking at Spain.

3 finals out of 19 editions. I would say we are punching above our weight and we are probably in the top 10 in the world historically. Before 2008 I don't think Spain were.. :dontknow:

Think it gets a bit messy trying to compare histories like this. I think the shock being their league is so much stronger than yours while winning back to back world cups and euros, and at club level regular CL winners, again this year both finalists.

So aye, it's a shock, a plesent one mind for the neutral, just the start this WC needed.

Decent game for a 1-0

Was 5-3-2 in the first and it was bad, it was 3-5-2 in the second and it was grand :thup:

Decent game for a 1-0

Was 5-3-2 in the first and it was bad, it was 3-5-2 in the second and it was grand :thup:

Agreed. I'm quite pleased to hear Van Gaal mention that before Van Persie equalised late in the first half he was already preparing his half time speech for a switch to 4-3-3. Even more pleased it wasn't needed in the end. We were set up to absorb pressure and hit them on the break with pace and technique. Worked out fantastically well after a shaky start, but even then I don't agree with the principle of adjusting to your opponent.