2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unclear whether Van Gaal will persist with the 532/352 formation that worked so well (second half) v Spain, or with the more familiar 433, in which case it looks like Vlaar will be the odd man out, to be replaced by Lens at left wing. Here's hoping for the latter. I expect Australia won't sit back as they need a result too, and it's not their style, so should be a good match with attacking football from both sides.

Also looking forward to the Spain v Chile game. Again two attacking sides. Spain need a win or they're practically out of the competition, and I'm confident they will get it.

So, all 32 teams have played their first game now. Very early days, but who do we think will go through from each group?

Group A:

Providing Croatia beat Cameroun tonight there will be 3 good teams still in it. Brazil is not looking as strong as I expected, but I still expect them to go through, with the winner of Croatia v Mexico the other team to qualify for the next round (Mexico if that ends a draw). 1. Brazil 2. Mexico

Group B:

Holland should beat Australia tonight, and I expect under pressure Spain to beat Chile. Goal difference could be important in this group. 1. Holland 2. Spain

Group C:

Colombia look the strongest team in this group. Japan need to beat Greece to give themselves a fighting chance in their last group match v Colombia, but I expect Ivory Coast will have too much for them in the end. 1. Colombia 2. Ivory Coast

Group D:

Really interesting group now. Italy have impressed the most, and have the easiest fixtures left in theory. Should be between England and Uruguay for the other ticket for the next round (Thursday's result will be crucial), but you can't rule out Costa Rica completely now. 1. Italy 2. England/Uruguay

Group E:

Switzerland's extra time winner should be decisive. France have looked very good, albeit against weak opposition. 1. France 2. Switzerland

Group F:

Argentinia didn't start convincingly, but they should have easil too much for the other teams in this group. Nigeria and Iran looked very weak, so Bosnia should have an excellent chance of finishing second. 1. Argentina 2. Bosnia

Group G:

Germany was emperious; they will win the group at a canter. The USA v Portugal game will decide who gets second. Ronaldo should make the difference. 1. Germany 2. Portugal

Group H:

Belgium didn't really impress but should win the group hands down. Second place in the group is up for grabs. 1. Belgium 2. Russia/South Korea/Algeria

Which would set up the next round as follows:

Brazil vs Spain

Holland vs Mexico

Colombia vs England/Uruguay

Italy vs Ivory Coast

France vs Bosnia

Argentina vs Switzerland

Germany vs Russia/South Korea/Algeria

Belgium vs Portugal

Been a few good performances from unusual sources. Behrami ran the Switzerland game, including the bit leading to the last minute winner which might be my favourite moment so far. Honda looked a class above the rest of the Japan team. Sterling was impressive. Candreva has awesome ability. Sanchez looks like he'll cause problems for Spain.

Think my most unexpectedly awesome performance is Joel Campbell for Costa Rica - he was properly exciting and was best player on the pitch.

Obviously you have standouts like Robben, RVP, Benzema etc.

I want to say Christian Atsu was good - but I don't think he was really. He looked like he could have been good if you know what I mean...

:thup:

Exciting and frustrating in equal amounts really. Can see him getting dropped.

I want to say Christian Atsu was good - but I don't think he was really. He looked like he could have been good if you know what I mean...

:thup:

Exciting and frustrating in equal amounts really. Can see him getting dropped.

He'll never play for Chelsea but they'll sell him a profit.

Guest palnese

Behrami ran the Switzerland game.

Thought he had a poor game myself, but saved face with his last minute heroics.

Guest firetotheworks

Been a few good performances from unusual sources. Behrami ran the Switzerland game, including the bit leading to the last minute winner which might be my favourite moment so far. Honda looked a class above the rest of the Japan team. Sterling was impressive. Candreva has awesome ability. Sanchez looks like he'll cause problems for Spain.

Think my most unexpectedly awesome performance is Joel Campbell for Costa Rica - he was properly exciting and was best player on the pitch.

Obviously you have standouts like Robben, RVP, Benzema etc.

Definitely agree on that. He was really impressive.