2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Have the rule changes made it harder to become a top defender?

Just 10 years ago, I could think of a dozen top class CB's. Today, i'm not so sure.

Of course they have.  It was a far more physical game then.

10 years ago? Even 5. 

John Terry's probably higher up the best CB lists in the PL now than in his prime.

Every foul these days seems to be a yellow.  I know I am exaggerating somewhat but years ago you'd get away with far more. And I guess it didn't happen overnight and as such was a gradual change. So even the last 10 there's probably been a stricter policy by refs.

Guest dazzanufc1892

Just 10 years ago, I could think of a dozen top class CB's. Today, i'm not so sure.

10 years ago? Even 5. 

John Terry's probably higher up the best CB lists in the PL now than in his prime.

Every foul these days seems to be a yellow.  I know I am exaggerating somewhat but years ago you'd get away with far more. And I guess it didn't happen overnight and as such was a gradual change. So even the last 10 there's probably been a stricter policy by refs.

I would say thats its not so much the rule changes, but the expectation of what a centre back is to be. There has been a massive shift change in the way that centre backs are viewed and expected to be. Its not so much about size and strength these days as it is about pace, being nimble, having a good brain and being good on the deck. This has invariably changed the look and feel of the centre back. The start of this in England i would say began with Rio Ferdinand, with the last of his era being John Terry. Rio relied on his pace and technical ability which meant that throwing himself in front of balls and bashing players out of the way was never his style. Also, the influx of foreign, technical defenders has limited the view that one would have on the "good old fashioned" defender.

Colo is a prime example, when he came here, he was what a continental centre back now is, however his game has adapted slightly to fit with modern demands. Strikers are now no longer 6ft 4, 14 stone and going to have elbows around your temples all game. Those days are gone, and it sky opinion that until that paradigm shift happens in our minds, we will still expect defenders to remain how they were in the old days. The first time i noticed the shift was Ivan Cordoba v Alan Shearer in the inter v toon game, the process of this change has definitely sped up in the last few years however.

10 years ago? Even 5. 

I would say thats its not so much the rule changes, but the expectation of what a centre back is to be. There has been a massive shift change in the way that centre backs are viewed and expected to be. Its not so much about size and strength these days as it is about pace, being nimble, having a good brain and being good on the deck. This has invariably changed the look and feel of the centre back. The start of this in England i would say began with Rio Ferdinand, with the last of his era being John Terry. Rio relied on his pace and technical ability which meant that throwing himself in front of balls and bashing players out of the way was never his style. Also, the influx of foreign, technical defenders has limited the view that one would have on the "good old fashioned" defender.

Colo is a prime example, when he came here, he was what a continental centre back now is, however his game has adapted slightly to fit with modern demands. Strikers are now no longer 6ft 4, 14 stone and going to have elbows around your temples all game. Those days are gone, and it sky opinion that until that paradigm shift happens in our minds, we will still expect defenders to remain how they were in the old days. The first time i noticed the shift was Ivan Cordoba v Alan Shearer in the inter v toon game, the process of this change has definitely sped up in the last few years however.

I agree to a certain extent but we've had ball playing centre halves way before Rio. Never two together mind.  Mark Wright was selected in Italia 90 purely because of his ball playing skills. And of course the only Englishman to lift the World Cup was probably our greatest footballing defender ever.

Changes to the offside rule among other things is a factor too, not to mention the way teams have evolved.... Players like Alba at Barca would have been a winger back even in the 90s.

Said this before but i don't think individual defending has gotten worse in particular, but the game has evolved/changed to suit the attacker even more than it already did.

Changes to the offside rule among other things is a factor too, not to mention the way teams have evolved.... Players like Alba at Barca would have been a winger back even in the 90s.

Said this before but i don't think individual defending has gotten worse in particular, but the game has evolved/changed to suit the attacker even more than it already did.

Definitely. Level used to be off and benefit of any doubt always went with defenders. :thup :

Think he's pretty much there though tbh, performed in the CL and starting as CB in the WC.

He only played in the CL final.  He was third choice this season so difficult to say he's better than Pepe or especially Ramos. 

For such a decorated defender Ramos defensive capabilities are under rated.  Performed at the highest level for a long time now.

Hope Italy don't go out cos their national anthem is mint

The best there is

Russia eats that one IMO. Nothing more powerful than a russian national anthem.

Russia for me too. Could be a good poll tbh.

Hope Italy don't go out cos their national anthem is mint

The best there is

Russia eats that one IMO. Nothing more powerful than a russian national anthem.

Montenegro.