How far can they go - what would break you?

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

I was speaking to a mate the other day about Red Bull's apparent interest in a Premier League club and he said "I hope its us". Now I knew next to nothing of them when it comes to sport so I read up on them and if they did indeed buy a PL club that club would very likely see some serious changes made to its shirt colours and even maybe its name.

My mate said it would be a kick in the stones if our colours were to change and even name, bit if it meant success and seeing NUFC amongst the best, he'd take it.

Each to their own...

Over the years we have seen football taken over by the £ or $ to the point where a whole club (Wimbledon) can be relocated and renamed and re-branded. We have seen Cardiff's colours change, Hull's name change and even Southampton's strip change design all in the name of marketing/branding/money.

Closer to home, our very own stadium was renamed and re-branded.

Yesterday, just under 53,000 people attended our game vs Liverpool.

My mate, would still follow NUFC even if we changed colours and had our name changed somewhat.

Me, they've broke me. The renaming of SJP, Wonga et al didn't stop me going to games full stop as I did attend a few, but Kinnear has stopped me going to any game.

That's me though.

I was thinking, say Red Bull took over, changed our colours and renamed us Newcastle Red Bull, we would lose fans, lots of fans, but if they brought in top players and CL footy, would those fans return? Would the future support accept Red Bull and those changes?

I sadly came to the conclusion that they could call us shite united FC and if we were signing players of the calibre of Yaya Toure, Mata et al and playing the likes of Barcelona in the CL we would sell out. I reckon most if not all clubs would.

Anyway...

How far can they go and what would break you as a fan?

Would you support a Newcastle Red Bulls for example at the Red Bull Arena?

I was speaking to a mate the other day about Red Bull's apparent interest in a Premier League club and he said "I hope its us". Now I knew next to nothing of them when it comes to sport so I read up on them and if they did indeed buy a PL club that club would very likely see some serious changes made to its shirt colours and even maybe its name.

My mate said it would be a kick in the stones if our colours were to change and even name, bit if it meant success and seeing NUFC amongst the best, he'd take it.

Each to their own...

Over the years we have seen football taken over by the £ or $ to the point where a whole club (Wimbledon) can be relocated and renamed and re-branded. We have seen Cardiff's colours change, Hull's name change and even Southampton's strip change design all in the name of marketing/branding/money.

My mate, would still follow NUFC even if we changed colours and had our name changed somewhat.

Me, they've broke me. The renaming of SJP, Wonga et al didn't stop me going to games full stop as I did attend a few, but Kinnear has stopped me going to any game.

That's me though.

I was thinking, say Red Bull took over, changed our colours and renamed us Newcastle Red Bull, we would lose fans, lots of fans, but if they brought in top players and CL footy, would those fans return? Would the future support accept Red Bull and those changes?

I sadly came to the conclusion that they could call us s**** united FC and if we were signing players of the calibre of Yaya Toure, Mata et al and playing the likes of Barcelona in the CL we would sell out. I reckon most if not all clubs would.

Anyway...

Redbull Arena would be fine with me as long as we we're benefiting on the pitch from the investment.

Personally I draw the line at change of team colours/name/badge.

It wouldn't be NUFC anymore.

Im feeling that about the current state of the club.  I would have to ask myself some serious questions about continuing to support a "brand".  I dont think I could.

Guest bimpy474

Each to their own...

That's me though.

I sadly came to the conclusion that they could call us s**** united FC and if we were signing players of the calibre of Yaya Toure, Mata et al and playing the likes of Barcelona in the CL we would sell out. I reckon most if not all clubs would.

Anyway...

Redbull Arena would be fine with me as long as we we're benefiting on the pitch from the investment.

If that happened, we cease to be imo.

Each to their own...

That's me though.

Anyway...

Couldn't agree more mate.

What would everyone do if we we're to become like Redbull Salzbug have?

Each to their own...

That's me though.

Anyway...

Yep, we simply wouldn't be Newcastle United anymore - I'd probably give up football altogether if that happened.

Guest Howaythetoon

For me, a lot of fans would simply jack it all in, but eventually, once a CL playing, trophy winning, star laden side is in town, the stadium will be filled every week to bear witness. Regardless of name, colours etc.

And scary enough, the money men and marketeers know that.

I hope not but I can see the day where an established English football club has its named changed or aligned to a brand and indeed its colors and while there will be huge outcries, things will soon settle down and be accepted as the err, norm.

The FA, PL and government wouldn't challenge these changes because its not about protecting the game but about how much money can be made from it.

I look back at wimbledon and the very fact that was allowed to happen never mind to succeed, is shameful and damn right wrong. The renaming of SJP too. Fans did fuck all to challenge it other than to post on here and the odd little march.

Changing the badge: Think we actually have one of the best badges, always thought it looked great, but I wouldn't be majorly against this.

Changing the stadium name: Been there, done that. Providing it wasn't anything too embarrassing, I'd be ok with it.

Changing the colors: Wouldn't support this. A team is recognised by its traditional look and design, and if I'd turn on Sky Sports, and see our game, and we'd be playing in yellow or something, I wouldn't feel like I'd be watching a Newcastle match.

Changing the name: No. Never.

Obviously I'd love a take over to get rid of Ashley, but for me to be ok with the badge/stadium name changes, there would need to be an obvious improvement to the team and management.

Guest Howaythetoon

I dont want to think about this if i'm honest. Just too horrible.

I think its coming to a PL club near you very soon.

Hopefully not ours!

IT would still be hard, it wouldn't be NUFC, its just a brand.  Id find it hard to go and follow or support a brand.

Would I go if they were succesful?  Aye, id go to the odd game but the emotion and love aint there. 

Guest bimpy474

I dont want to think about this if i'm honest. Just too horrible.

I think its coming to a PL club near you very soon.

Hopefully not ours!

I think i'd be just as disgusted if it happened to another club. Obviously not to the extent if it was us. But despite all the hatred i have for say Liverpool, it would still be wrong if it happened to them.

Actually scrap that, i'd piss myself if it was them cunts :lol:

Pardew being kept on this season was enough for me. It was everything that decision stood for coupled with the way we're treated as a fanbase that stopped me going to games. The lack of relatable players is another issue for another thread though.

Went to nearly all the games last year (home and away) so maybe my tolerance is lower than most.

Pardew being kept on this season was enough for me. It was everything that decision stood for coupled with the way we're treated as a fanbase that stopped me going to games. The lack of relatable players is another issue for another thread though.

Went to nearly all the games last year (home and away) so maybe my tolerance is lower than most.

It doesn't feel like NUFC to me.

Guest Howaythetoon

Btw, I reckon, someone like the mackems would welcome a total rebrand if it meant they would be more successful than us and this I feel is what eats into a lot of fans' mindset - success in football. We go to the match to see our team win not lose or draw. We buy our ST in the hope our club buys good players not spunk it all on dross. People respect tradition, history etc. and ideally would like to keep that but to what extent? Already NUFC, a club with the 3rd biggest attendance in the whole of English football, a club with the 20th biggest revenue in the whole of world football, has zero chance of winning the league unless someone puts in half a billion to a billion.

That's just not going to happen. Not across the board anyway. So how does a club compete? They become part of another brand.

Guest Howaythetoon

Your mate is mental.

I've practically disowned him but he reckons that he can draw some pride in something from Newcastle whatever the guise, being successful, is something to be proud of or something to support...

Btw, I reckon, someone like the mackems would welcome a total rebrand if it meant they would be more successful than us and this I feel is what eats into a lot of fans' mindset - success in football. We go to the match to see our team win not lose or draw. We buy our ST in the hope our club buys good players not spunk it all on dross. People respect tradition, history etc. and ideally would like to keep that but to what extent? Already NUFC, a club with the 3rd biggest attendance in the whole of English football, a club with the 20th biggest revenue in the whole of world football, has zero chance of winning the league unless someone puts in half a billion to a billion.

That's just not going to happen. Not across the board anyway. So how does a club compete? They become part of another brand.

The league would just be brand's football teams competing.  I dont think I could get excited over "google fc"

You could be right, it could be heading that way.  Maybe Ashley was a head of the curve. 

Btw, I reckon, someone like the mackems would welcome a total rebrand if it meant they would be more successful than us

You'd be right.

They had a thread on it the other day, and plenty were in tentative support of the idea.

If they were signing amazing footballers no set of fans would really care. Imagine travelling away to Newcastle with a team like Man City or Chelsea :lol: They'd be gutted!

Guest Howaythetoon

IT would still be hard, it wouldn't be NUFC, its just a brand.  Id find it hard to go and follow or support a brand.

Would I go if they were succesful?  Aye, id go to the odd game but the emotion and love aint there. 

The emotion and love doesn't matter to the marketeers...

It doesn't even matter to the game. Look at how diluted the atmosphere around the country has become. Music for goals scored etc.

Pay your money, turn up, SIT in your seat, eat your hot dog/hamburger, politely applause/disagree, go home come back next week.

Guest Haris Vuckic

The emotion and love doesn't matter to the marketeers...

It doesn't even matter to the game. Look at how diluted the atmosphere around the country has become. Music for goals scored etc.

Pay your money, turn up, SIT in your seat, eat your hot dog/hamburger, politely applause/disagree, go home come back next week.

This covers it for me - http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2011/1/20/the-mcdonaldization-of-english-football.html