How far can they go - what would break you?

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Club name change is a definite no. But changing our badge, colours or stadium name, maybe I'd give it a thought if it means challenging for the title and playing CL football again

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I don't really know but for me it would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. But honestly would people really bother if we changed everything for a couple of seasons for investment and reverting back to the original when we're really successful?

Nicked from a wine page I read (was referring to brand wines and estate wines, read here: http://www.wineanorak.com/twocultures_7.htm ) , not sure if completely relevant...

A generation back, most decent sized towns had their own football league club, and many larger cities had a couple or more. It was only under exceptional circumstances that you didn’t support one of your local sides. The football world was a more equal one back then. Yes, some clubs did consistently better than others – Liverpool started a long run of dominance of the English game in the late 1970s, for example – but things were much more equal. It was possible, for instance, for clubs like Nottingham Forest and Ipswich, to come from nowhere and enjoy a period of great success: the driving force behind these clubs was not a huge pot of cash, but instead exceptional management combined with a good crop of young players coming through. It was also possible for West Ham, a club then playing second-flight football, to win the FA cup. Today this would be hard to envisage.

Football is very different now. Because of the increased flow of money into the game, primarily from global television deals, a winner-takes-all scenario has developed. Youngsters who support their local club and have local heroes are rare. Distressingly (for a Man City fan, at least), across the country youngsters are seen wearing Manchester United football shirts, and most commonly with the name ‘Beckham’ on the back. No more local heroes, just global ones. A recent report suggested that just half of the UK’s professional football clubs are likely to survive over the next few years.

*Should we have to adapt to change? Is the red bull situation just the beginning of an inevitable change throughout the game?

Personally I think the team colours would have to stay the same, I would also like to keep Newcastle United. I could accept our away and eauropean kits in Red-Bullish themed strips...

Didn't that German team they bought keep pretty much their name, badge, colors et al? They just added RB to make it RB Leipzig.

EDIT: I was wrong. It wasn't even named Leipzig to begin with, plus:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fd/RB_Leipzig.png/200px-RB_Leipzig.png

Aye read about them before, they apparently swallowed up a couple of clubs from that area and made the new one I think.

"The investment in SSV Markranstädt by Red Bull is not the company's first attempt to enter the Leipzig football scene. In 2006, it tried to purchase FC Sachsen Leipzig, a club with a rich tradition, but also plagued by constant financial trouble. After months of fan protests which deteriorated into violence, the company abandoned the plan.[9]"

Seems to be the way forward if they try anything....

Sad thing is they'll probably end up being the premier club in Leipzig. Lokomotive and Sachsen have been stuck in the doldrums for years and there's a huge market for a successful Bundesliga club there. In fact other than Hertha which was a unique situation there isn't any Bundesliga sides from the old East Germany.

At the very most, I'd accept "Red Bull Arena at St. James' Park" or some crap like that. Or a second kit like this, with our patch:

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/au/austria-adidas-09-10-red-bull-salzburg-home.jpg

Name, colours, and patch stay the same.

Not even a native but I'd pack it in if location, name, crest or colors changed, Red Bull or not. As others have said it would cease to be - whatever the cunts in charge at <<company>> would put in its place wouldn't be Newcastle United. I'd probably still watch premier league football though albeit with detached interest; Arsenal if they're on because I like they way they play, maybe derbys but I wouldn't really give a damn. I can't see switching to anyone else.

Name - NO WAY

Stadium - YES (if this generates revenue)

Badge - NO WAY

Colours - NO WAY

Sponsorship - Obviously.

Red Bull would be class. They know how to do sport, simple as that.  No way they would settle for a top 10 finish.

They would do all 5 of the things you've posted, so no they wouldn't.

Oh and they may know how to do sport, but they've yet to prove they can do football. 8 years of failure in CL qualifying with Salzburg - the clubs stated aim.

That sponsor is MASSIVE!

I think they will pick up someone like West Ham or Crystal Palace, Palace already have the colours.

Palace are ran, more or less, by their supporters. No chance. Money isn't everything.

Guest neesy111

That sponsor is MASSIVE!

I think they will pick up someone like West Ham or Crystal Palace, Palace already have the colours.

Palace are ran, more or less, by their supporters. No chance. Money isn't everything.

Their fans can testify about broken promises etc from previous owners.

What are the rules regarding a name change like? The PL rejected Hull City's change and the last known instance I know of was MK Dons some time back.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2387625/Premier-League-refuse-endorse-Hull-City-Tigers-change.html

Kit colours changes are obviously within the club's right seeing that Cardiff changed theirs.

Fwiw changes to the club name, colours and crest are a no go for me. I wouldn't fancy a stadium change to Red Bull Arena as they have done for their other clubs but could take it as a compromise. Red Bull Newcastle, RB colours and RB Newcastle crest though, they can take their money elsewhere. The moment we allow that, we effectively compromise any remaining morsel of our club identity imo.

That sponsor is MASSIVE!

So which clubs are left, who would be sold:

NUFC

West Ham

Sunderland

Everton

Villa

West Brom