How far can they go - what would break you?

Guest Howaythetoon

Strip colours and team name are non-negotiable for me.

f***ing hell, this is Newcastle United. Anyone who is supporting us because they want or expect success is somewhat deluded to say the least. We support them because we identify with them, we live there, we're from there, whatever, but not for success or trophies ffs.

This idea could work in an area where lots of people don't support a local club so could be swayed into attending by a successful team nearby, but in Newcastle that's really not the case. It's a very partisan, one-club city, and if you alienate a large percentage of fans (which this would) then those fans will not be made up by other people coming in, IMO.

I'd be disappointed if the badge changed to anything s***, tacky and commercial. But I'd get over it. I hated the stadium name change, but decided I could ignore it as it wasn't in my face all the time. Everyone still called it St James' Park and there was nothing forcing me to acknowledge anything to the contrary. But a change to the club name or strip would be too far and anyone considering that can f*** right off. You can't buy me with promises of success as I was never here for that anyway.

RE our historical kits, one season sometime late 18 hundreds to early 1900s our shirts were a very dark blue and white not black and white due to a f*** up at the textile place who made our shirts.

We actually chose stripes because it made our players look taller and bigger and we chose black and white because of an errand magpie that was always at our games. Hence our nickname too.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Newcastle_United/Newcastle_United.htm

LOve looking at this every now and then.

We actually chose stripes because it made our players look taller

This explains why the set penises never work. Mike Williamson is actually only 5"6.

:lol: Imagine Anita

Vernon Anita? In a normal shirt he's more like Verne Troyer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a growing amount of bollocks being spoken about us being bought out by Red Bull.

Given that they'd almost certainly change the name and the kit, at the very least, it'd be the absolute last straw for me, and game over.

someone like red bull would surely have to know that taking over a team like villa or us then coming in and trampling roughshod over +100 years history just wouldn't fly like...it's not like they're fresh out the box, they'll have done their research if they're buying, football teams are not shite american franchises with no soul

if they come in i'd fully expect stadium changes, advertising all over the place including on the kit, they could be smart and permanently change the away strip to their colours or something without having to fuck with home strip which everyone is attached to...it wouldn't be that hard

if they stopped there i'd be begrudgingly ok with it if it got rid of ashley but changing team names and strip colours i'd stop paying attention and making an effort completely i reckon

if they come in i'd fully expect stadium changes, advertising all over the place including on the kit, they could be smart and permanently change the away strip to their colours or something without having to f*** with home strip which everyone is attached to...it wouldn't be that hard

I would expect this too.....followed in a year or so, a few 'test' games played at home in the away strip.

• 2 months later...

Bump. I think they've done me here.

I don't feel anything now, and I've struggled since last spring when we lost to the mackems and Liverpool at SJP. Pardew staying on then meant they didn't care.

Been a fan since 1996, been to games home and away, even in the Championship, watched pretty much every game since 2001. In other words, I've been through some bad and dark times, but nothing compares to this.

Relegation was one thing, incredible sadness and fear for what would happen to us.

But this? Completely drained of emotion and any sort of joy. There's absolutely no point in this.

When the most emotion you can muster to a 0-4 is a shrug then you know that you're done.

Ashley has sucked the ambition out and PArdew has sucked the enjoyment out.

I don't really care about a trophey (although it would be nice) -I just want to look forward to each game knowing that we're more likely to play well and give it a go - i.e. be competititive and to know that there is an intention to improve. Up until last summer I thought that the transfer policy we had would give us gradual improvement and that was the aim, now I don't.

Come in Red Bull!