sunderland 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/13 - post-match reaction from page 47

Dave

I can't believe he had the temerity in his post-match interview to use the free kick in the build up to their 2nd goal as an excuse. Quite astonishing, really.

Can certainly see why people are livid with him.

Guest icemanblue

I can't believe he had the temerity in his post-match interview to use the free kick in the build up to their 2nd goal as an excuse. Quite astonishing, really.

Why wouldn't he have 'the temerity' to do that, like? It's a perfectly legitimate complaint, which makes it the perfect excuse. I can't see many managers not mentioning a questionable decision that led to a winning goal. This is in no way a defence of anyone or anything, but of all the legitimate complaints from yesterday, this ranks near the bottom.

Guest neesy111

Does nobody think we looked by far the most likely to win it in the second half? Sorry, I can't face reading the last few pages.

No team looked likely to win it, only way a team was gonna win was a special goal like Borini's.

Does nobody think we looked by far the most likely to win it in the second half? Sorry, I can't face reading the last few pages.

Nah, more possession by default (we see this all the time when we play against inferior sets of players). We've got absolutely no idea what to do with the ball, we didn't make a chance.

It looked like anybody could win it with a decent strike on goal from somewhere. As it happened their goal was actually a quality pass and finish, something we never looked like producing all afternoon.

Guest neesy111

Krul - 6 Shakey moment otherwise ok

Debuchy - 6 good goal but don't think he stopped enough crosses

Willo - 6 poor start but got better

Dummet - 5 Not a premier league quality CB nor would expect to be

Santon - 6 Terrible passing start of game, improved and carried threat later

Tiote - 7 Like Liverpool much improved in some ways, and also to blame in run up to goal 2.

Cabaye - 5 Got a yellow too quickly, didn't impose himself in middle as he normally does

Gouffran - 2 barely featured

Sissoko - 4 nothing worthwhile

Ben Arfa - 2 Uterly useless throughout

Remy - 2 Carried no threat

Cisse - 0 Absolutely no influence on the game

Shola - 5 Tried, bullied their defence a bit

Sammy - n/a

Not going to read the next 10 pages of Pardew when this sums it up perfectly for me. Some inexcusable performances yesterday regardless of the manager. Fucking shameful to see especially HBA who is getting more pointless by the game.

:thup:

In the sense that you were less bad, yeah. You had the momentum behind you, so I'd echo Brummie's comments of genuinely being confused how you managed to lose it. It was a good goal, but still.

Why wouldn't he have 'the temerity' to do that, like? It's a perfectly legitimate complaint, which makes it the perfect excuse. I can't see many managers not mentioning a questionable decision that led to a winning goal. This is in no way a defence of anyone or anything, but of all the legitimate complaints from yesterday, this ranks near the bottom.

It epitomised desperation. You'd hardly expect him to go "yeah, we were crap", but I think in the context of losing back-to-back derbies for the first time in however long it is (many decades?) and also to Sunderland in one of their lowest ebbs in years, to point to a refereeing decision that was in the other half is something that will very knowingly rub people up the wrong way and, generally, is a pretty preposterous excuse. It was entirely unnecessary and further solidifies his reputation as a serial excuse-maker. It was desperate.

It was a cold hard slog and depressing at times but we knew it was only a matter of time before Fat Fred exercised that itchy trigger finger.

Fat Fred never ever sacked ANY manager sitting above 13th.

Only Ashley has done that, ousting Allardyce, Keegan and Hughton while they were outperforming all the managers you mention.

Guest neesy111

Btw, this was one of the worst games I had ever seen in the PL.  Wasn't one for the neutrals.

That was the main thing I took away from it really, absolutely appalling game.

Yeah, which makes it worse as had we turned up we would had won imo.

Btw, this was one of the worst games I had ever seen in the PL.  Wasn't one for the neutrals.

That's because Sunderland are a Championship standard team and we have a lower league manager who only understands that level of football.

In the sense that you were less bad, yeah. You had the momentum behind you, so I'd echo Brummie's comments of genuinely being confused how you managed to lose it. It was a good goal, but still.

It epitomised desperation. You'd hardly expect him to go "yeah, we were crap", but I think in the context of losing back-to-back derbies for the first time in however long it is (many decades?) and also to Sunderland in one of their lowest ebbs in years, to point to a refereeing decision that was in the other half is something that will very knowingly rub people up the wrong way and, generally, is a pretty preposterous excuse. It was entirely unnecessary and further solidifies his reputation as a serial excuse-maker. It was desperate.

1967 apparently, although I haven't checked that out myself.

I still don't know what I think about it really. It's almost impossible to draw any conclusions about tactics or performance in an environment like that. Even the best teams usually struggle when pressed like that, and struggle to settle into a rhythm when the start of a game is so frantic. Again the circumstances of the derby suited Sunderland a lot more than they did us.

If they hadn't nicked that goal we would probably be just saying "shite game, I would have taken the draw beforehand". That's how close the margins are.

I might have brought on someone like Anita instead of Shola, to add control in midfield. And put HBA out wide right since Sunderland had no threat down there.

I still don't know what I think about it really. It's almost impossible to draw any conclusions about tactics or performance in an environment like that. Even the best teams usually struggle when pressed like that, and struggle to settle into a rhythm when the start of a game is so frantic.

If they hadn't nicked that goal we would probably be just saying "shite game, I would have taken the draw beforehand". That's how close the margins are.

I might have brought on someone like Anita instead of Shola, to add control in midfield. And put HBA out wide right since Sunderland had no threat down there.

No they don't.

Guest icemanblue

If you're looking for the epitomy of desperation, then you really need look no further than the introduction of Shola.

If the positions had been reversed and we had scored the winner from the free kick, would you have been defending Poyet from accusations that he was whingeing after defeat....?

Or would you have said he was just a sad bitter Mackem..!?

I still don't know what I think about it really. It's almost impossible to draw any conclusions about tactics or performance in an environment like that. Even the best teams usually struggle when pressed like that, and struggle to settle into a rhythm when the start of a game is so frantic.

No they don't.

Actually, I think they do.

We had no fucking tempo in our passing and almost no fucking movement, no wonder they could close us down that easily.

Even a blind man could see thet they were there for the taking, derby or not.. Especially in that second half.

No they don't.

Actually, I think they do.

Then Chelsea, Liverpool etc should always be easily knocked out of their stride against lesser teams rather than wiping the floor with them.