Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One of the most annoying things about him is that he still doesn't know what his best formation is, what his best starting XI is and what style of football to play. He stumbles across new setups when he is forced to change through injury and he'll stick with them until it goes tits up, and then it's back to the drawing board.

He's done well lately but like Beren (I think) said in the match thread yesterday there is definitely a glass ceiling with him

I'm not sure I agree with you, he has a way of playing and he more often than not sticks to it.  He found a good winning style towards the end of the season when we finished 5th and he dropped it.  He found a winning style in our last away game and in the very next game he abandoned it.  He's a limited manager who likes what he knows and that's costing us because our players are better than the limited way he seems to want us to play.

We're doing much better than last season but I don't think we'll ever reach our potential with Pardew at the club and we're unlikely to show any ambition and change him while Ashley is at the club, unless we have another season like last.

Annoys me how we bring every single player back into our penalty area when defending corners, and this isn't just at the end of matches when we're under the kosh. Just a whinge, but it strikes me as very negative, especially when you've brought back totally useless defenders like Remy and Ben Arfa. Just encourages the opposition instead of worrying them about us breaking - something we're actually pretty good at it with these players.

Drives me mad as well.

I remember Jose in his first spell as Chelsea manager leaving 3 players up field ready to counter.

Southampton are another of those good teams that are greater than the sum of their parts largely thanks to a clearly defined style of play. Unlike us.

This is basically it. They pass it around without panic and with a well drilled positional sense and intelligence. Pochettino will end up at a big club.

As will Laudrup I suspect, and just look at Everton blossoming now that Martinez has replaced the worthy but limited Moyes. Man U went for the wrong man.

Annoys me how we bring every single player back into our penalty area when defending corners, and this isn't just at the end of matches when we're under the kosh. Just a whinge, but it strikes me as very negative, especially when you've brought back totally useless defenders like Remy and Ben Arfa. Just encourages the opposition instead of worrying them about us breaking - something we're actually pretty good at with these players.

Think I started a thread on here about that years ago. Boils my piss. :lol:

Annoys me how we bring every single player back into our penalty area when defending corners, and this isn't just at the end of matches when we're under the kosh. Just a whinge, but it strikes me as very negative, especially when you've brought back totally useless defenders like Remy and Ben Arfa. Just encourages the opposition instead of worrying them about us breaking - something we're actually pretty good at with these players.

Think I started a thread on here about that years ago. Boils my p*ss. :lol:

We've done it for years and way before Pardew as well. It's baffling.

Think I started a thread on here about that years ago. Boils my p*ss. :lol:

It does my head in, if we clear the ball it's coming straight back at us.  It's the same when we're defending a free kick in our own half and I just hope the ball goes out so we can get players into the opposition half.

Never been able to understand why a small fast player isn't left on the half way line when defending a corner. It almost necessitates two extra players having to stay back. It's hardly a Pardew thing though, with the exception of the aforementioned time when Chelsea kept up to three players up no one seems to do it.

it is all getting very boring now like , we all know what's going to happen at HT with a lead in place, and seemingly so do the other team :lol:

was pleased how we fought back after their goal though, in times gone by the other team coming back into the game was just an event we were powerless to do anything about, i'm of the firm belief that every team is going to have a decent passage of play so if we have to let the other team have theirs right after half time as some sort of default plan then so be it, however i expect us to have done something about it within 15-20 minutes, which we did vs. southampton

it is all getting very boring now like , we all know what's going to happen at HT with a lead in place, and seemingly so do the other team :lol:

was pleased how we fought back after their goal though, in times gone by the other team coming back into the game was just an event we were powerless to do anything about, i'm of the firm belief that every team is going to have a decent passage of play so if we have to let the other team have theirs right after half time as some sort of default plan then so be it, however i expect us to have done something about it within 15-20 minutes, which we did vs. southampton

If you think it's going to happen, chances are, it will happen. You are part of the collective. Part of our conscience. Collaborator in creating the reality.

Charlie Brown taught me that.

We had some good chances to win against Soton. They seemed to come from mistakes from them though, we didn't move their defenders around enough and create openings for ourselves.

The basis of our formation seemed to be all about stopping Soton playing. I thought we did that pretty well. We worked really hard to close them down. You could tell we wouldn't be able to keep that up. The way Anita was charging about, you knew he was going to run out of gas.

He cost us two points on Saturday, like. No doubt about it. Changed our system second half and things just never got going and we never really got our fluency back from the first half. Cisse was dreadful and a poor choice of sub and Hatem was brought on far too late. Could see we really missed Cabaye even though Anita had a decent game himself, lacked a bit of cutting edge.

Think the draw was the fair result but was a big missed opportunity to get another win on the back of the OT result but 4 points from them two games is a nice return. We still go into Crystal Palace in good form and expecting a draw at the very least even though they themselves are much improved.

We had plenty of chances to win it, yes we could be a lot better in attack but if we had taken half our chances we would have stuffed them. We are just not ruthless enough or choose wrong options. When Sissoko was in box with ball he should have shot instead of lay back for ben arfa, remy should have had 2 so at least chances there, just need to start taking them

He cost us two points on Saturday, like. No doubt about it. Changed our system second half and things just never got going and we never really got our fluency back from the first half. Cisse was dreadful and a poor choice of sub and Hatem was brought on far too late. Could see we really missed Cabaye even though Anita had a decent game himself, lacked a bit of cutting edge.

Think the draw was the fair result but was a big missed opportunity to get another win on the back of the OT result but 4 points from them two games is a nice return. We still go into Crystal Palace in good form and expecting a draw at the very least even though they themselves are much improved.

All the time he was doing shit you were defending him and now he's doing alright you decide to get on his case?  You're a strange lad.

All the time he was doing s*** you were defending him and now he's doing alright you decide to get on his case?  You're a strange lad.

:lol: What are you on about? I just felt in this particular game, he made some bad decisions (second half) and it's cost us. Yes Remy did miss chances and there were one or two other chances where we could have grabbed 3 points but i just felt Pardew made some back tactical errors and substitions and just gave Southampton that edge in the second half to pull them back into it.

Not having a go at him or anything, managers are capable of making bad decisions, don't expect Pardew to get it right every game, just felt here he let two points slip away. He's earned us far more points than he's dropped us this season and i'm delighted with how things are going.

Guest firetotheworks

I thought exactly the same thing tbh. Defended him to the hilt and now it's his fault that we didn't win, when for once there are other factors involved.

How many Premier League managerial changes is that now since he was appointed?

According to NUFC.com:

Zero tolerance

The latest name to be eliminated from the Premier League X Factor competition is Andre Villas-Boas, following his live TV rendition of "We Can't Stop" on Sunday.

The latest top-flight managerial casualty leaves the current top 20 runners and riders looking like this: 

Arsenal - Arsene Wenger (Sep 1996)

Aston Villa - Paul Lambert (Jun 2012)

Cardiff - Malky Mackay (Jun 2011)

Chelsea - Jose Mourinho (Jun 2013)

Crystal Palace - Tony Pulis (Nov 2013)

Everton - Roberto Martinez (Jun 2013)

Fulham - Rene Muelensteen (Dec 2013)

Hull City - Steve Bruce (Jun 2012)

Liverpool - Brendan Rodgers (Jun 2012)

Manchester City - Manuel Pellegrini (Jun 2013)

Manchester United - David Moyes (May 2013)

Newcastle United - Alan Pardew (Dec 2010)

Norwich City - Chris Hughton (Jun 2012)

Southampton - Mauricio Pochettino (Jan 2013)

Stoke City - Mark Hughes (May 2013)

mackems - Gus Poyet (Oct 2013)

Swansea City - Michael Laudrup (Jun 2012)

Tottenham - position vacant

West Brom - position vacant

West Ham - Sam Allardyce (Jun 2011)

Who's next for the chop? Vote now! (probably)

Longest serving manager in the Premiership except Wenger, if I'm reading that right...

i the light of the AVB sacking, i can't help but wonder to this f***ing day how pardew survived (a) last season in it's entirety and (b) 1-10 at home

Europe, tiredness and luck.  All went against him.

Watching Southampton this season (and their thoroughly impressive way of incorporating their entire squad into the football they play) really brings clarity to Pardew's most obvious and crtical weakness as a manager; is inability to define his team/squad.

Going into his fourth year as our manager, the quite large amount of questionmarks surrounding his preferred style, formation and overall mentality really highlights why I find it hard to regain confidence in him even now that we're doing well. Every team and manager has purple patches from time to time. But we still seem incoherent.

Apart from the football we played in March/April 2012, I've not seen us win and play well for an extended period as a result of a clear and purposeful footballing agenda, I've not seen players buy into a footballing philosophy and I've not seen us aqcuiring any sort of identity as a team.

It's been about different succesful changes, individuals and tactical maneuvers in different areas in different periods. No strategy behind things and no indication about how we're going to move forward and grow as a squad.

Guest firetotheworks

How many Premier League managerial changes is that now since he was appointed?

According to NUFC.com:

Zero tolerance

The latest name to be eliminated from the Premier League X Factor competition is Andre Villas-Boas, following his live TV rendition of "We Can't Stop" on Sunday.

The latest top-flight managerial casualty leaves the current top 20 runners and riders looking like this: 

Arsenal - Arsene Wenger (Sep 1996)

Aston Villa - Paul Lambert (Jun 2012)

Cardiff - Malky Mackay (Jun 2011)

Chelsea - Jose Mourinho (Jun 2013)

Crystal Palace - Tony Pulis (Nov 2013)

Everton - Roberto Martinez (Jun 2013)

Fulham - Rene Muelensteen (Dec 2013)

Hull City - Steve Bruce (Jun 2012)

Liverpool - Brendan Rodgers (Jun 2012)

Manchester City - Manuel Pellegrini (Jun 2013)

Manchester United - David Moyes (May 2013)

Newcastle United - Alan Pardew (Dec 2010)

Norwich City - Chris Hughton (Jun 2012)

Southampton - Mauricio Pochettino (Jan 2013)

Stoke City - Mark Hughes (May 2013)

mackems - Gus Poyet (Oct 2013)

Swansea City - Michael Laudrup (Jun 2012)

Tottenham - position vacant

West Brom - position vacant

West Ham - Sam Allardyce (Jun 2011)

Who's next for the chop? Vote now! (probably)

Longest serving manager in the Premiership except Wenger, if I'm reading that right...

Yep, he has been for ages now.

i the light of the AVB sacking, i can't help but wonder to this f***ing day how pardew survived (a) last season in it's entirety and (b) 1-10 at home

Europe, tiredness and luck.  All went against him.

gambling debts tbh

fuck knows what pardew lost tbh, thinking about more we should have known about him in advance - they say luck is a big part of football management, we took on a bloke with crippling gambling debts :lol:

:shifty:

I thought exactly the same thing tbh. Defended him to the hilt and now it's his fault that we didn't win, when for once there are other factors involved.

Maybe not being at the game on Saturday and watching in a bar on holiday gave me a different view. I was just pissed off HBA wasn't on sooner, felt it was all too late when he arrived, didn't understand changing things around for Cisse, then we failed to get closer to lallana when he came on and allowed him to dictate the play. I'm not being overly critical, i thought overall it was a decent showing from us and had Remy took his chances things may have been different. Just felt Pardew could have won us that game had he made the right changes at the right times.