Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If a manager has a bad season, i think he should be given another shot at the following season to turn it around. Don't think one bad season should effectively get you the sack. Admire chairmen who have faith in their appointments and give them time in the job to succeed. Far too often these days they want instant success, or if instant success comes along as surprise but not sustained they are fired, i think it’s just wrong.

Are you inviting us to 'admire' Ashley...??

Boardrooms that standby their appointments i admire. Obviously i'm not saying every chairman should give their appointment 3/4 years, sometimes you might realise pretty quickly you've made a bad decision and hold your hands up, or you sense a chance to upgrade and take the club higher so you get rid. Certain sackings can be justified but the majoirty imo are kneejerk and unjust.

In terms of admiring Ashley, certainly not but i'll give him credit for not binning Pardew at the first period of trouble after a good season. He could have easily got rid in the summer or even prior to that and found some other bargain bucket manager who would accept his ways but he stuck by his appointment. People still hold hope Ashley will splash the cash on a top European manager for an upgrade, I however think there isn’t a single hope in hell he would take that much of a gamble. Had the chance when he sacked Hughton and blew it, don’t see why he would suddenly change his ways now.

The last thing I'd give Ashley credit for is not binning Pardew and replacing him with a "bargain bucket manager". It's akin to giving Ariel Castro credit for allowing Amanda Berry to keep his bairn.

It's the fact on the results he had a good excuse to sack him, but he kept faith in him and Pardew is repaying the faith shown with positive results again. He could have easily put Kinnear in charge in the summer or looked for another cheap option to carry out his pretty un-ambitious objective goals instead of Pardew but he was given another chance and there isn't anything wrong with that, if anything it's good to see. One good season, followed by a poor season and he's been given another for the judgement call. At least we aren't chopping and changing soon as things turn sour at the club and have got stability here, something a lot of other clubs lack.

I assume that the championship winning season boosts Hughton's stats a fair bit.

Hardly Hughton's fault that Pardew's record in the Championship and League One with several teams is fairly dire.

I think it's fairly clear that the team that Hughton had in the Championship was streets ahead of anything that Pardew managed.  Probably more relevant to compare their Premiership managerial records.

If you want to build something that is sustainable within a budget, then you need patience. Just like what brendan rodgers did in liverpool and moyes in everton. The problem, as many people pointed out, is that we couldnt feel Pardew is building up something longlasting, or is not doing it quick enough.

My argument would be, assuming we binned Pardew, we still need to give patience and time for the next manager to build it, even if it is laudrup bielsa or moyes, because we wont spend a furtune and would only do it within budget again. So it would be another 2-3 seasons in mid table. Seriously, ask yourself, are you fine with that? And it is assuming that everything is working out as planned, no major fallout, no serious injuries crisis, no relegation etc. We have had to invest 2 years minimum again.  during those 2 years our result would not be much better than now - and probably even worse tbh. 

It is impossible to just hire a better manager and immediately give you better results without any investment.

I assume that the championship winning season boosts Hughton's stats a fair bit.

Hardly Hughton's fault that Pardew's record in the Championship and League One with several teams is fairly dire.

I think it's fairly clear that the team that Hughton had in the Championship was streets ahead of anything that Pardew managed.  Probably more relevant to compare their Premiership managerial records.

Also, certainly in recent years the team Pardew has had in the premiership is streets ahead of what Hughton has managed.

I'm not a Hughton hater, but anyone should have won the Championship with the team we had at the time. Compared to rivals, it's much better than what Pardew has now.

Allardyce came up with a very strong West Ham side via the play-offs. Complete pony to say it was a God given right to come up as Champions. Particularly given how abject we were the season before.

I'm not a Hughton hater, but anyone should have won the Championship with the team we had at the time. Compared to rivals, it's much better than what Pardew has now.

That's not what I said, the side Pardew has had for last couple of years is much stronger than Norwich or the side Hughton had in the prem.

That's not what I said, the side Pardew has had for last couple of years is much stronger than Norwich or the side Hughton had in the prem.

That side Hughton had in the Premiership came 5th with considerably less spent on it by Pardew than Hughton has spent on his team.

That side Hughton had in the Premiership came 5th under Pardew with considerably less spent on it than Hughton has spent on his team.

Cisse was prolific for Hughton.

That side Hughton had in the Premiership came 5th with considerably less spent on it by Pardew than Hughton has spent on his team.

If you're going down that line of money spent, then Pardew had £50m worth of players sold from him that Hughton had and about half of that outgoing.

You what. :lol:

Pardew still spent less on Hughtons squad than Hughton has spent on Norwich.

Either that means (as was being argued) that Hughton had a great leg up in the championship because our team was significantly better than usual promotion contenders, or...

Also, certainly in recent years the team Pardew has had in the premiership is streets ahead of what Hughton has managed.

Agreed - although that hasn't stopped people suggesting they'd rather have Nolan and Barton in the team now ..!

Pardew still spent less on Hughtons squad than Hughton has spent on Norwich.

Either that means (as was being argued) that Hughton had a great leg up in the championship because our team was significantly better than the one that got Norwich up, or...

Sorry but I have sat here for 5 minutes trying to figure out what this has to do with anything. It just seems to suggest that Hughton's buys at Norwich haven't been very good. Unlike the deals he did at NUFC, to be fair.

Ba, Cisse, and Cabaye were added (Ben Arfa also signed on a permanent and fit again) to the promotion winning side.

Hard to link this to Pardew at all.

Guest firetotheworks

It's certainly not better than what Pardew has now and whether that team should have won the championship or not, it did, he did and we did it in style towards the end. The team that was relegated also should have stayed up, but it didn't. It's not as simple as saying something should happen regardless of what does or doesn't happen.

It's not like it's one game and you can say that the result proves a point definitively. He proved it game after game, week after week and not only restored a lot of faith in our team, but he also got a lot of us just enjoying football and enjoying winning again.

The season that we came up, we were a mid-table team that would win some and lose some, but there was at least some batterings that we handed out along the way and a lot of enjoyment to get from our football. He goes down as a very important person in our history for me and regardless of what you think his worth as anything is, his actual, tangeable contribution both on the field and off it was tremendously important to me.

It's certainly not better than what Pardew has now and whether that team should have won the championship or not, it did, he did and we did it in style towards the end. The team that was relegated also should have stayed up, but it didn't. It's not as simple as saying something should happen regardless of what does or doesn't happen.

It's not like it's one game and you can say that the result proves a point definitively. He proved it game after game, week after week and not only restored a lot of faith in our team, but he also got a lot of us just enjoying football and enjoying winning again.

The season that we came up, we were a mid-table team that would win some and lose some, but there was at least some batterings that we handed out along the way and a lot of enjoyment to get from our football. He goes down as a very important person in our history for me and regardless of what you think his worth as anything is, his actual, tangeable contribution both on the field and off it was tremendously important to me.

As I said, I don't dislike Hughton and he did a good job in the Championship. All I'm saying is that the team was quite a lot better than its Championship rivals. He still had to manage it, of course.

I would say that Pardew's players are better than a few squads in the league, but not better than Hughton's squad compared to their contemporaries. Quite a vague opinion I know!

Guest firetotheworks

As I said, I don't dislike Hughton and he did a good job in the Championship. All I'm saying is that the team was quite a lot better than its Championship rivals. He still had to manage it, of course.

I would say that Pardew's players are better than a few squads in the league, but not better than Hughton's squad compared to their contemporaries. Quite a vague opinion I know!

You think that the squad that Hughton came up with is better than the one that we have now? (As a Premier League team)

You think that the squad that Hughton came up with is better than the one that we have now? (As a Premier League team)

No, I mean relative to their opponents. Hughton's team was stronger compared to the rest of the Championship than Pardew's current team is compared to the rest of the PL.

Guest firetotheworks

No, I mean relative to their opponents. Hughton's team was stronger compared to the rest of the Championship than Pardew's current team is compared to the rest of the PL.

Right. I thought you meant both in terms of in comparison to other PL teams.

:lol: Fucking Christ Almighty.

:lol: Fucking Christ Almighty.

What's up mate?