Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Remy chasing down a ball to panic the 'keeper into a rushed clearance isn't a fluke. A sheer fluke would have been Remy standing still and the 'keeper hitting it right at him.

Happens every game, the goalkeeper usually never makes that mistake. So yes I'd call it a fluke.

It's not a fluke. There's an element of fortune to it, of course, but when you're closing down opposition so they a) make a rubbish back pass, and b) rush their consequent clearance, you're very much in the realms of making your own luck.

Not a foolproof way to create chances really though is it, closing down the goalkeeper? We certainly weren't unlucky not to win the game, which is what seems to be being claimed.

We invited them on, they scored then we tried to score again, as is always our gameplan. Why we can't try and score another before they've levelled remains the eternal mystery. We did the same against West Brom and were grateful to Sissoko for lashing one in from range.

It really is a mystery as to what goes on. I don't know if he actively encourages sitting back or if he just doesn't give players enough direction which makes them withdraw, it really is strange. I think I read a stat the other day that said we were one of two teams that haven't scored more than 2 in a game this season.

Remy chasing down a ball to panic the 'keeper into a rushed clearance isn't a fluke. A sheer fluke would have been Remy standing still and the 'keeper hitting it right at him.

Happens every game, the goalkeeper usually never makes that mistake. So yes I'd call it a fluke.

It's not a fluke. There's an element of fortune to it, of course, but when you're closing down opposition so they a) make a rubbish back pass, and b) rush their consequent clearance, you're very much in the realms of making your own luck.

Depends what defines fluke, I'd say something that wouldn't happen 99 times out of 100 is a fluke. But yes, I get your point.

How many Premier League managerial changes is that now since he was appointed?

According to NUFC.com:

Zero tolerance

The latest name to be eliminated from the Premier League X Factor competition is Andre Villas-Boas, following his live TV rendition of "We Can't Stop" on Sunday.

The latest top-flight managerial casualty leaves the current top 20 runners and riders looking like this: 

Arsenal - Arsene Wenger (Sep 1996)

Aston Villa - Paul Lambert (Jun 2012)

Cardiff - Malky Mackay (Jun 2011)

Chelsea - Jose Mourinho (Jun 2013)

Crystal Palace - Tony Pulis (Nov 2013)

Everton - Roberto Martinez (Jun 2013)

Fulham - Rene Muelensteen (Dec 2013)

Hull City - Steve Bruce (Jun 2012)

Liverpool - Brendan Rodgers (Jun 2012)

Manchester City - Manuel Pellegrini (Jun 2013)

Manchester United - David Moyes (May 2013)

Newcastle United - Alan Pardew (Dec 2010)

Norwich City - Chris Hughton (Jun 2012)

Southampton - Mauricio Pochettino (Jan 2013)

Stoke City - Mark Hughes (May 2013)

mackems - Gus Poyet (Oct 2013)

Swansea City - Michael Laudrup (Jun 2012)

Tottenham - position vacant

West Brom - position vacant

West Ham - Sam Allardyce (Jun 2011)

Who's next for the chop? Vote now! (probably)

Longest serving manager in the Premiership except Wenger, if I'm reading that right...

A number of those will have had multiple managers as well. Sunderland alone have sacked Bruce, O'Neill & Di Canio in that time.

Allardyce (Blackburn)

Hodgson (Liverpool)

Di Matteo (WBA)

Grant (West Ham)

Ancelotti (Chelsea)

Houllier (Aston Villa)

Hughes (Fulham)

Bruce (Sunderland)

Warnock (QPR)

McCarthy (Wolves)

Villas-Boas (Chelsea)

Hodgson (WBA)

McLeish (Aston Villa)

Dalglish (Liverpool)

Rodgers (Swansea)

Lambert (Norwich)

Redknapp (Spurs)

Di Matteo (Chelsea)

Hughes (QPR)

Adkins (Southampton)

McDermott (Reading)

O'Neill (Sunderland)

Mancini (Man City)

Moyes (Everton)

Pulis (Stoke)

Benitez (Chelsea)

Ferguson (Man Utd)

Di Canio (Sunderland)

Holloway (Crystal Palace)

Jol (Fulham)

Clarke (WBA)

Villas-Boas (Spurs)

Obviously not all sacked. Some left for other clubs/jobs, retirements, etc....but 32 changes since we appointed him. Christ. :lol:

Getting more like Italy or Spain in that respect it seems.  Clubs pull the trigger the first sign things are going South.

Except us :(

He's not doing too bad though tbf, Southampton, Man Utd, Swansea, Spurs etc.. have all had more backing and managers who are apparently better but are currently behind us.

Pardew annoys me a hell of a lot with some of the stuff he does, I have been pushed to the limit a few times over the last year or so but it could be worse.

To me it is obvious the 'heir to the throne' is Kinnear so that in itself stops me desperately wanting Pardew gone at the moment but as said he isn't exactly doing the worst job even if our football can be frustrating as fuck.

No point sacking him at the moment, I agree. Should have got the bullet in the summer, ridiculously lucky to survive such a terrible season.

And yes on the whole he's doing OK this season. Apart from the derby defeat, aiming to win by the tiniest of margins, not scoring more than 2 goals in a game and the fact most of our games follow an almost inevitable pattern of utter infuriation. He should finish at worst 8th this season, which is where we should be considering our wage bill.

Fuck him off next summer and appoint somebody more interesting would be good, but never gonna happen so long as we trudge along to the 'successful' 8th placed finishes that are craved.

Allardyce (Blackburn)

Hodgson (Liverpool)

Di Matteo (WBA)

Grant (West Ham)

Ancelotti (Chelsea)

Houllier (Aston Villa)

Hughes (Fulham)

Bruce (Sunderland)

Warnock (QPR)

McCarthy (Wolves)

Villas-Boas (Chelsea)

Hodgson (WBA)

McLeish (Aston Villa)

Dalglish (Liverpool)

Rodgers (Swansea)

Lambert (Norwich)

Redknapp (Spurs)

Di Matteo (Chelsea)

Hughes (QPR)

Adkins (Southampton)

McDermott (Reading)

O'Neill (Sunderland)

Mancini (Man City)

Moyes (Everton)

Pulis (Stoke)

Benitez (Chelsea)

Ferguson (Man Utd)

Di Canio (Sunderland)

Jol (Fulham)

Clarke (WBA)

Villas-Boas (Spurs)

Obviously not all sacked. Some left for other clubs/jobs, retirements, etc....but 32 changes since we appointed him. Christ. :lol:

Wonder how many of those had a run of: W2 D2 L12.

No point sacking him at the moment, I agree. Should have got the bullet in the summer, ridiculously lucky to survive such a terrible season.

And yes on the whole he's doing OK this season. Apart from the derby defeat, aiming to win by the tiniest of margins, not scoring more than 2 goals in a game and the fact most of our games follow an almost inevitable pattern of utter infuriation. He should finish at worst 8th this season, which is where we should be considering our wage bill.

Fuck him off next summer and appoint somebody more interesting would be good, but never gonna happen so long as we trudge along to the 'successful' 8th placed finishes that are craved.

:thup:

f*** him off next summer and appoint somebody more interesting would be good, but never gonna happen so long as we trudge along to the 'successful' 8th placed finishes that are craved.

Right, who then? Even assuming that Ashely would welcome any managers, I can't think of many. AVB?

Allardyce (Blackburn)

Hodgson (Liverpool)

Di Matteo (WBA)

Grant (West Ham)

Ancelotti (Chelsea)

Houllier (Aston Villa)

Hughes (Fulham)

Bruce (Sunderland)

Warnock (QPR)

McCarthy (Wolves)

Villas-Boas (Chelsea)

Hodgson (WBA)

McLeish (Aston Villa)

Dalglish (Liverpool)

Rodgers (Swansea)

Lambert (Norwich)

Redknapp (Spurs)

Di Matteo (Chelsea)

Hughes (QPR)

Adkins (Southampton)

McDermott (Reading)

O'Neill (Sunderland)

Mancini (Man City)

Moyes (Everton)

Pulis (Stoke)

Benitez (Chelsea)

Ferguson (Man Utd)

Di Canio (Sunderland)

Jol (Fulham)

Clarke (WBA)

Villas-Boas (Spurs)

Wonder how many of those had a run of: W2 D2 L12.

The thing is, people from the outside looking in will see where we are now and say we did the right thing not sacking him and standing by him.

Guest Haris Vuckic

f*** him off next summer and appoint somebody more interesting would be good, but never gonna happen so long as we trudge along to the 'successful' 8th placed finishes that are craved.

Right, who then? Even assuming that Ashely would welcome any managers, I can't think of many. AVB?

Bielsa

:laugh:

Bielsa

Ashley probably thinks that's a type of wood.

No chance of Pardew going anywhere unless we start struggling or Ashley sells the club.

If he was going to act, Ashley would have done so last Summer after a dire season.

I wasn't surprised that AVB got the bullet because he has spent a lot of money and was getting poor results - the 5-0 by Liverpool obviously was the straw that broke the directors' patience, compare that with our 2 awful hammerings at SJP last season, one from the Scousers and previously, by the Mackems and this after we too had spent more in Jan than Ashley expected in order to survive. AVB is beginning to look a bit of a lame duck as a manager of PL sides now so not unexpected.

As long as Pardew keeps us away from relegation and Ashley remains in charge, we will have to hope that we get the odd entertaining game to keep us happy because that is as much as we can expect.

I await the Jan window with anticipation, and not much of it is high..perhaps trepidation is a better word.

Wonder if Man U are contemplating a Cabaye for Zaha swap....?

Bielsa

Ashley probably thinks that's a type of wood.

:lol:

If a manager has a bad season, i think he should be given another shot at the following season to turn it around. Don't think one bad season should effectively get you the sack. Admire chairmen who have faith in their appointments and give them time in the job to succeed. Far too often these days they want instant success, or if instant success comes along as surprise but not sustained they are fired, i think it’s just wrong.

If a manager has a bad season, i think he should be given another shot at the following season to turn it around. Don't think one bad season should effectively get you the sack. Admire chairmen who have faith in their appointments and give them time in the job to succeed. Far too often these days they want instant success, or if instant success comes along as surprise but not sustained they are fired, i think it’s just wrong.

Definitely, just creates chaos. It wasn't even a bad season FFS, it was a bad couple of months.

Either clubs are appointing managers without any thought in the first places, or something dramatic happens to make them instantly change their mind. However you look at it, it's not a way to run any organisation.

Ashley doesn't have faith in his appointments though, he sacked Hughton for literally no reason and failed to back Keegan :lol:

Pardew is in charge because we have no ambition, it's a simple as that really.

Well I would assume Pardew has some objectives, they're just lower than most people would like. Would he keep his job if he repeated last season? I don't think so.