Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1) Our form has fluctuated and

2) It's really hard to finish higher than 7th / 8th

Come on Mick. Look at the squad then and now. Are you seriously trying to question the idea that it's gotten stronger?

So maybe, just maybe, we need a manager who is capable of getting the best out of the players we have?

A better manager would be great but there's no reason the improvement in playing staff has to stop. Replacing Cabaye is a big ask though. What a bargain that was

Was that all down to you then Dekka? Props to you man. Nice idea to spend your winnings from Pardles on some nice hols in Croatia. Enjoy the sun while you can!

You're not very good at this,  sorry

On the contrary, my position didn't rely on stats or pie charts and that's probably why it hasn't changed much. I watch football for enjoyment and love for my city which makes a massive difference.

As I think I mentioned in here earlier,  my determination to protect Pardew's right to a fair crack had pretty much petered out by November. If we could lay our hands on a really good manager right now I'd dump him no problem. I think the main reason we find ourselves in 8th/9th though is just that it's really really hard to push on from there. We could improve the squad a fair bit and still find it a struggle to post top 6 finishes,  even with a talented manager. The competition is just that strong. There are pointers to Pardew's averageness a lot more salient than our league finishes. I don't read much into them at all as a barometer of his ability relative to other managers, arse-about-face as that may seem.

I think a Moyes or a Martinez or an AVB could come in and finish 8th too. Or 5th if they have a good year, or 17th if it doesn't click, but probably about 8th. But if they have a coherent philosophy,  and our playing staff keeps improving,  then we'll end up in the right place. The thing that worries me most about Pardew is his lack of imagination or a clear philosophy, and a sense that he doesn't know what to do when the wheels fall off. A couple of times we've gone on good runs with some system that he has just pulled out of his arse which is lovely but... When Ancelotti or Pellegrini is your manager you know exactly how you are going to do things and that it will be quite coherent. I think Pards is like the vast majority of managers in that he just tries to do the simple things right and not f*** up.

tl; dr... Pardew is welcome to leave in my book, mainly for reasons other than that we'll immediately shoot up the league.

I don't really rate Moyes although I think he did a good job with what he had at Everton and is better than Pardew.  Martinez would piss all over Pardew with the same set of players as we've got here because I think the way he tries to play is more suited to us than launching the ball from back to front, or going back to basics as Pardew has called it.  I would also take Laudrup if he was prepared to work under the constraints which we have here and that being Carr scouts the players.

Pardew is hiding behind the sale of Cabaye, we played really well against Norwich when he didn't have time to tinker.  The next game, when he'd had time was woeful, that's about the best description I can think of without going into a tirade of abuse about him.

Pardew has been here for 150 league games and the football we played during our last few games has been as bad, probably worse than when he came in and took over the team put together by Hughton and Co.  150 league games and we're no closer to having a style of play in the first team and I've seen nothing in the younger players to make me think we're bringing them up in a way that prepares them for first team football.

Pardew is a bluffer, a fraud and the mouth piece for Ashley, he's Ashley's apologist and I can't stand him personally or professionally.  By that I mean as a person or as our manager, he's shit.

I think we both agree he's at best holding us back, for that reason alone he should be given his P45.

Guest tollemache

We have a better squad (or potential starting XI) now than the one that we came up from the Championship with, it would take some fucking effort for it not to be :lol:

Not sure how we're on course to do an Arsenal like. We'd probably need a time machine to go back to when "doing an Arsenal" was actually possible, or spend about £500m on playing staff, management staff and facilities.

All I meant by "do an Arsenal" was be successful within our means. Make a profit. Then it doesn't matter what dickhead runs the club, the club is OK. If you can do that while improving, you're going to do well in the end.

Another thought - if Ashley really is thinking of selling, I'd perhaps rather Pardew stayed until that happened. The calibre of manager we'll get in the interim probably ain't great at all, the new owner would probably replace him, and it's just one more guy to pay off and one more reshuffle.

Guest tollemache

As I think I mentioned in here earlier,  my determination to protect Pardew's right to a fair crack had pretty much petered out by November. If we could lay our hands on a really good manager right now I'd dump him no problem. I think the main reason we find ourselves in 8th/9th though is just that it's really really hard to push on from there. We could improve the squad a fair bit and still find it a struggle to post top 6 finishes,  even with a talented manager. The competition is just that strong. There are pointers to Pardew's averageness a lot more salient than our league finishes. I don't read much into them at all as a barometer of his ability relative to other managers, arse-about-face as that may seem.

I think a Moyes or a Martinez or an AVB could come in and finish 8th too. Or 5th if they have a good year, or 17th if it doesn't click, but probably about 8th. But if they have a coherent philosophy,  and our playing staff keeps improving,  then we'll end up in the right place. The thing that worries me most about Pardew is his lack of imagination or a clear philosophy, and a sense that he doesn't know what to do when the wheels fall off. A couple of times we've gone on good runs with some system that he has just pulled out of his arse which is lovely but... When Ancelotti or Pellegrini is your manager you know exactly how you are going to do things and that it will be quite coherent. I think Pards is like the vast majority of managers in that he just tries to do the simple things right and not f*** up.

tl; dr... Pardew is welcome to leave in my book, mainly for reasons other than that we'll immediately shoot up the league.

I don't really rate Moyes although I think he did a good job with what he had at Everton and is better than Pardew.  Martinez would piss all over Pardew with the same set of players as we've got here because I think the way he tries to play is more suited to us than launching the ball from back to front, or going back to basics as Pardew has called it.  I would also take Laudrup if he was prepared to work under the constraints which we have here and that being Carr scouts the players.

Pardew is hiding behind the sale of Cabaye, we played really well against Norwich when he didn't have time to tinker.  The next game, when he'd had time was woeful, that's about the best description I can think of without going into a tirade of abuse about him.

Pardew has been here for 150 league games and the football we played during our last few games has been as bad, probably worse than when he came in and took over the team put together by Hughton and Co.  150 league games and we're no closer to having a style of play in the first team and I've seen nothing in the younger players to make me think we're bringing them up in a way that prepares them for first team football.

Pardew is a bluffer, a fraud and the mouth piece for Ashley, he's Ashley's apologist and I can't stand him personally or professionally.  By that I mean as a person or as our manager, he's shit.

I think we both agree he's at best holding us back, for that reason alone he should be given his P45.

I've got a hell of a lot more sympathy for him than you have. I think he has some ability and could easily leave us and have a great run with someone else, in any division - also that there's still a small chance he could just suddenly find a thing that works here (I did wonder when we beat Man U away... not the result but the manner of it) - but I'd happily see him replaced by someone really talented and wedded to good football.

Don't think it's going to happen though.

I've got a hell of a lot more sympathy for him than you have. I think he has some ability and could easily leave us and have a great run with someone else, in any division - also that there's still a small chance he could just suddenly find a thing that works here (I did wonder when we beat Man U away... not the result but the manner of it) - but I'd happily see him replaced by someone really talented and wedded to good football.

Don't think it's going to happen though.

Christ.  :lol:  If the bit in bold is true then why hasn't he done that before he came here?  Oh I forgot about that paint pot he won, you're right.  Why would anybody have any sympathy for somebody who willingly walked into the job knowing why one of the former managers had taken the club to a tribunal?

Guest tollemache

You can't say he should've turned it down! If I was in his shoes and they'd told me the previous manager had been ritually disembowelled, I'd still have had a go.

He has had decent runs at other clubs, but they've always ended up going to shit. Still, that is the fate of most managers. If it doesn't go to shit, they stay in the job but it nearly always does in the end, as borne out by the ridiculous managerial turnover each year. The most you can hope for out of most managerial stints is 3 or 4 good seasons. He's not a total nincompoop, just nowt special.

You can't say he should've turned it down! If I was in his shoes and they'd told me the previous manager had been ritually disembowelled, I'd still have had a go.

He has had decent runs at other clubs, but they've always ended up going to s***. Still, that is the fate of most managers. If it doesn't go to s***, they stay in the job but it nearly always does in the end, as borne out by the ridiculous managerial turnover each year. The most you can hope for out of most managerial stints is 3 or 4 good seasons. He's not a total nincompoop, just nowt special.

I'm taking Incognito's lead, I'm out.

Guest bimpy474

Thing is, it's quite unlike Arsenal to have done that too

You might need to rethink this, Arsenal sign older players virtually every season. Just a look at their transfers would have told you that.

Does the Arsenal model involve giving a f***ing s*** manager an 8 year contract?

Its quite clear that giving Pardew an 8 year contract after his sacking record at other clubs was either an act of madness(unlikely, Ashley is a prat but far from mad), something done on Llambias's prompting which caught Ashley in a gambling mood(this is the most likely) or something done because Ashley wanted to give an impression of stability to any future buyer ; this, of course, has rebounded on him big-time as many of his gambles do.

There is NO way on earth that I would have given Pardew an 8 year contract ; firstly, his record tells you everything and 3 years is the absolute max he would have got and secondly, the football we played when finishing 5th was still largely poor.

The idea of him sending teams out 'not to get beat' and playing with fear, having mentally lost the match before setting foot on the pitch is so deflating, especially the derbies. It's just so draining watching us play at the moment, more a chore than anything. Choosing not to play your most naturally gifted players like Ben Arfa and Marveaux because they're willing to take risks to try and win a game is so frustrating. I'd rather watch Ben Arfa take risks trying to win a match than Taylor taking risks trying to be a hero in his own box

A number of players do seem to have regressed since signing and lost confidence in their own ability to play and it's down to Pardew and his coaches to stop that from happening and they're not doing it. The entire coaching staff needs an overhaul because we've got some good players who are underperforming and that's down to the coaching staff and the manager  :undecided: