Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The idea of him sending teams out 'not to get beat' and playing with fear, having mentally lost the match before setting foot on the pitch is so deflating, especially the derbies. It's just so draining watching us play at the moment, more a chore than anything. Choosing not to play your most naturally gifted players like Ben Arfa and Marveaux because they're willing to take risks to try and win a game is so frustrating. I'd rather watch Ben Arfa take risks trying to win a match than Taylor taking risks trying to be a hero in his own box

A number of players do seem to have regressed since signing and lost confidence in their own ability to play and it's down to Pardew and his coaches to stop that from happening and they're not doing it. The entire coaching staff needs an overhaul because we've got some good players who are underperforming and that's down to the coaching staff and the manager  :undecided:

:thup:

Guest tollemache

Does the Arsenal model involve giving a f***ing s*** manager an 8 year contract?

Its quite clear that giving Pardew an 8 year contract after his sacking record at other clubs was either an act of madness(unlikely, Ashley is a prat but far from mad), something done on Llambias's prompting which caught Ashley in a gambling mood(this is the most likely) or something done because Ashley wanted to give an impression of stability to any future buyer ; this, of course, has rebounded on him big-time as many of his gambles do.

There is NO way on earth that I would have given Pardew an 8 year contract ; firstly, his record tells you everything and 3 years is the absolute max he would have got and secondly, the football we played when finishing 5th was still largely poor.

There's no way they'd pay up the remainder of the contract if they fired him, so it's not an 8 year contract in the conventional sense. Is my understanding

Does the Arsenal model involve giving a f***ing s*** manager an 8 year contract?

Its quite clear that giving Pardew an 8 year contract after his sacking record at other clubs was either an act of madness(unlikely, Ashley is a prat but far from mad), something done on Llambias's prompting which caught Ashley in a gambling mood(this is the most likely) or something done because Ashley wanted to give an impression of stability to any future buyer ; this, of course, has rebounded on him big-time as many of his gambles do.

There is NO way on earth that I would have given Pardew an 8 year contract ; firstly, his record tells you everything and 3 years is the absolute max he would have got and secondly, the football we played when finishing 5th was still largely poor.

There's no way they'd pay up the remainder of the contract if they fired him, so it's not an 8 year contract in the conventional sense. Is my understanding

What is your understanding of his contract?

Guest tollemache

Oh and there's no need for me to dig out the stats about Arsenal's transfer spending deficit each season, their approach to older players and sales, the many many analyses of their transfer dealings written over the last 18 years... Christ, you know exactly what has separated their transfer policy from that of their rivals over that period. It's incredibly obvious, whether they've signed a Podolski or a Lehmann here and there or not. We're back to deviations not precluding a trend.

Guest tollemache

What is your understanding of his contract?

I thought there was some kind of clause whereby he only got a 1-year payoff or something. Heard an awful lot of mentions of it anyway - it could all just be speculation I suppose

Oh and there's no need for me to dig out the stats about Arsenal's transfer spending deficit each season, their approach to older players and sales, the many many analyses of their transfer dealings written over the last 18 years... Christ, you know exactly what has separated their transfer policy from that of their rivals over that period. It's incredibly obvious, whether they've signed a Podolski or a Lehmann here and there or not. We're back to deviations not precluding a trend.

In Wengers tenure, Arsenal have not made a profit from transfer dealings.

Guest tollemache

As of February 2012, Wenger's net spend over the 16 years of his reign was £4.5m. Over the same period, Manchester United’s net spend was £250m, Manchester City’s £472m, Chelsea’s £504.5m, Liverpool’s £204.5m and Tottenham’s £174.5m.

In that time the club has also made a profit: http://abehnisch.com/arsenal-profit-since-1996/

My apologies for not having bang up to date stats. Those came up first on Google and are more than sufficient to show you what I mean, and what you probably already know.

Guest tollemache

I'm pretty sure Arsenal spent £42m on a player last summer. What a ludicrous comparison.

Yep, because that one example renders the other 18 years of data completely moot. And in order to compare two things, they have to be identical. Right?

I'm pretty sure Arsenal spent £42m on a player last summer. What a ludicrous comparison.

they finally realised they'd gotten this transfer lark all wrong. hopefully we are still following the "arsenal model" even if its been changed.

To follow the Arsenal model we'd need one of the greatest managers in the history of the game to be at the helm, not fucking Alan Pardew.

And buy players.

Howay man, it's well documented that Arsenal started out with the same rocky beginnings we have, they were nearly relegated in 1998 as went into the season with 2 recognisable strikers, no wingers, and of course, deployed a young Danny Simpson at right back.

As of February 2012, Wenger's net spend over the 16 years of his reign was £4.5m. Over the same period, Manchester United’s net spend was £250m, Manchester City’s £472m, Chelsea’s £504.5m, Liverpool’s £204.5m and Tottenham’s £174.5m.

In that time the club has also made a profit: http://abehnisch.com/arsenal-profit-since-1996/

My apologies for not having bang up to date stats. Those came up first on Google and are more than sufficient to show you what I mean, and what you probably already know.

"I don't have up to date stats" :lol:

Guest tollemache

Andy: Yeah- but then those 16 years of data describe the pattern I'm talking about perfectly well. Did I say "Newcastle United must behave identically to Arsenal Football Club at all times in order to be successful"? No I did not. I said I like us buying players with resale value and trying to do well out of transfers. I hope that's the case long after Ashley's gone (assuming he goes)

Anyway I've changed my mind. What I've just decided I want is for us to spend big - £200m say. Doesn't matter what the consequences are, I just want us to spend absolutely all of the money we can possibly get our hands on, on a drive to get into the top 4 over the next couple of years. I want the Cabaye money spent IMMEDIATELY on a playmaker for at least £15m or I'm going to be absolutely livid.

Arsenal can afford to not spend wildly in the transfer market, because they actually bother to invest the time and effort necessary in developing their youth players, who actually then go on to make a mark in their first team consistently. This comparison is absolutely ludicrous.

Our youth are never able to get a chance to play, because the current manager is terrified of winning games comfortably, and so there is no room for them to ever make appearances. Hence we will never know what they are really made of. Instead we will continue to ferry them off to league 2 and Scotland till they are completely broken, and have lost all sense of self worth.

When we were put in a situation where we absolutely had to play a youth player, guess what? He actually turned out to be petty handy, and surprised everyone who thought he wouldn't amount to much, and he ended up going for £35 million.

Pardew despite his claims cannot use young players, and so from the outset the plan to be like Arsenal falls flat on its arse and will never get off the ground.

Andy: Yeah- but then those 16 years of data describe the pattern I'm talking about perfectly well. Did I say "Newcastle United must behave identically to Arsenal Football Club at all times in order to be successful"? No I did not.

Anyway I've changed my mind. What I've just decided I want is for us to spend big - £200m say. Doesn't matter what the consequences are, I just want us to spend absolutely all of the money we can possibly get our hands on, on a drive to get into the top 4 over the next couple of years. I want the Cabaye money spent IMMEDIATELY on a playmaker for at least £15m or I'm going to be absolutely livid.

In the last 8 years Arsenal have won nothing, they already had a strong team to begin with as opposed to a team that had won the Championship.

No one is asking us to spend a fortune but over the last 5 years we've made a £45 million profit in transfers. I fully expect that to be spent as well as a little bit extra (TV Money particularly), like every other team (including Arsenal) does.

Andy: Yeah- but then those 16 years of data describe the pattern I'm talking about perfectly well. Did I say "Newcastle United must behave identically to Arsenal Football Club at all times in order to be successful"? No I did not.

Bit of a wild swing that mind mate, you could have joined everyone else in the middle and just expect the money to be spent in a reasonable time frame instead of hording it for about 5 windows so we can knock a couple of million off a few fees, all the while playing Mike Williamson and Shola Ameobi.